IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

yesterday would have been a pretty good day to get out.

Ditto!   

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is starting to be a bit more difficult to find a place to play as courses are closing for the season.  First accumulation of snow this morning but it is gone now.  I hope to play some time during the next 3 days but beyond that starts to get iffy.  Not a lot of forecasted days in the 40's.

Brian Kuehn

12 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

It is starting to be a bit more difficult to find a place to play as courses are closing for the season.  First accumulation of snow this morning but it is gone now.  I hope to play some time during the next 3 days but beyond that starts to get iffy.  Not a lot of forecasted days in the 40's.

IT is starting to look grim. Simulator league starts tonight.

The weather forecast is 3"-5" of snow starting around 4am and going thru 7pm Monday.   I officially declare autumn over since I started the snowblower just to be on the safe side.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 11/1/2019 at 2:17 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Why did any of your ancestors ever move to a cold winter climate?!  Cheap land, homesteading?  Wolverine fans in 1879?  Apparently they didn't play golf.  They should have moved south and you could have been neighbors to Vinsk.

Think about it. The northern, cooler climes are better for the bent grasses, which are the best grasses for golf! Southern climes are more conducive to Bermuda grasses, which can be some nasty, snarly stuff to hit a ball from. A couple of my buddies went down to Florida over the Winter to unwind, and play some golf. At the first course they played, they ran into a starter from their hometown! 

When the starter found out that they were from his old stomping grounds, he asked if they had ever played on Bermuda grass before. When they said no, he told them they might try putting the ball a little further back in their stance. When they described their rounds to me, they said, "back in the stance, Hell!"! "How about BEHIND the stance!" 

24 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The weather forecast is 3"-5" of snow starting around 4am and going thru 7pm Monday.   I officially declare autumn over since I started the snowblower just to be on the safe side.  

I agree! Winter seemed to come in with a vengeance! We've already had freeways closed because of snow and ice, but that may have more to do with the local road department than the weather itself! Seems they were asleep at the wheel! 

Still, the weather is here, and I do wish you were beautiful! 

I love the snow.  And I love golf.  I also like AWD cars...

17 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Southern climes are more conducive to Bermuda grasses, which can be some nasty, snarly stuff to hit a ball from.

I dis-like (hate) Bermuda grass.  I don't even know how to chip from it when the grain is against me.

Yeah, we're looking at about 3" of snow overnight. We do have some courses that remain open year round, weather permitting. Sometimes the weather permits, usually it does not. And it's not looking like an "El Nino" Winter!

18 hours ago, dennyjones said:

We received about 9" of snow today.   School was release early and some districts are closed tomorrow.

Same here.  It is sort of odd to have 9-10 inches of snow covered in leaves.  Many of our trees have not dropped their full load so in a few days we may not be able to see the snow because of the leaf cover.

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

Oh, so you have a "Chili Open" too! We usually have ours in January or February, just to make sure it's especially bitter! I remember a promo vid from some years ago where the wind was howling, peeled up the artificial turf green, and blew it away! The golfers just laughed, and then adjourned for beers and chili! 

Today was the first time this year I opted not to golf. Way too cold. With windchill 25. Pass. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

We have a tournament on the Friday after Thanksgiving every year. Its been going for close to 30 years, I've been playing in it for probably 20 years. The old guy who started it passed on a few years back, but we keep it going in his honor. He started it so the men had a good excuse to not have to go shopping on Black Friday.

It's always a lot of fun, we have about 40 guys and we play regardless of the weather. Most of the time we have really nice weather, but a couple of years we have played in some really cold conditions. One year the greens were frozen solid for the entire round, you had hit your approaches short of the green and let them run on because if they landed on the green it was like hitting concrete. That year I wet my towel on the #1 tee and it froze solid by the time we got to the #1 green. Last year we played in shorts, go figure.

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Hell, you don't really need that to not go shopping on Black Friday, but I do appreciate the excuse! I and my buddies have played the day after Thanksgiving, the day after Christmas, the day after New Years Day, and any other day it got warm enough to play.I remember one Winter where it was quite cold, but didn't really snow very much. During the "January Thaw", as we call it, we had a day get up in the upper 50's. We hit an area course that was open that has a lot of lakes on it. They were all frozen over, so we could pretty much disregard them. 

It’s raining here this week. That’s the equivalent of a major blizzard anywhere else in the country. People start freaking out and driving off the road. Meanwhile I am watching the Weather Channel in hopes it will be clear enough to tee it up by Sunday.