IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

57 minutes ago, IowaGreg said:

High will be about 45 today.......  2 man scramble with the Local AMVETS group......  Should be fun to be out at Christmas time in Iowa.....

Where are you playing?

I used to live in Iowa.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Where are you playing?  I used to live in Iowa.

Denver Iowa, Willow Run   - Challenging 9 hole course.  Just North of Waterloo.

I think Pheasant Ridge in Cedar Falls will be open today also.  Tee Time 10:30.  2 mph winds and just above 32 now....  LOL

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

3 minutes ago, IowaGreg said:

I think Pheasant Ridge in Cedar Falls will be open today also.  Tee Time 10:30.  2 mph winds and just above 32 now....  LOL

I used to live on the 11th Tee-box for Otter Creek in Ankeny. So, I played there a lot. I also played a lot of TCI (Tournament Club of Iowa), Coldwater Golf Links up in Ames, and I actually really enjoyed River Valley Golf Course in Adel, Iowa. I played the Harvester quite a few times, but I always thought it was over-rated. Good luck today. Enjoy. Any time you play in December in Iowa it's a bonus. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

46 minutes ago, IowaGreg said:

Trampoline greens. Concrete bunkers. Take along a hammer to get your tees into the ground.

• Administrator

Played in PA today. 52° at times.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Played in PA today. 52° at times.

Warm in NY today as well. Should have played. Doh.

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

@nevets88 yup today should have been a sick day for me. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

11 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Warm in NY today as well. Should have played. Doh.

Was anything open? I think we’re all closed up here. I did get out and hit into my net for a bit

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Could have played yesterday. It was mid 50's, no snow down, and there are places that stay open year round weather permitting. But I had other things to do, so no golf. It was technically warm enough to play today, low to mid 40's, but the visibility was no good. Covered in a pea soup fog the entire day. Just looke out the window, and the fog is still here. I don't think I've ever seen a fog that didn't lift like this one. 

Well, yesterday was Christmas, and I was texting Christmas wishes to friends and loved ones. A buddy texted back, indicating that he was looking to go out today and get 9 in. He called in the morning saying that he had called the course he was thinking of playing, and they were wall to wall! He told me that he and his Brother were going to be at a certain, nondescript 9 hole course around noon.

I don't really need to name this course, but it's way, way out in the boonies, and to call it a goat ranch would be a disservice to all the other, honest to God, real goat ranches out there! I invented some excuse to why I couldn't go. 

Later in the afternoon my buddy texted me again. Said the course was sodden, with standing water everywhere, & that I wouldn't have enjoyed it! I'm sure that I wouldn't have. I detest playing in soggy conditions. 

We set a record high temperature today of 61°.   I was able to get out and play 9.   The course was overly crowded but dry.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I played 9 today. It was mid to high 30s and sunny. Not that bad. Definitely had some fun bounces out there. Greens were very frozen. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

4 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I detest playing in soggy conditions. 

Then you'd hate playing in the slop winter conditions here in Vancouver....but at least we can play year rd....except when there are frosty conditions and/or the rare snow.

There are only 3 full length public courses here that have somewhat ok drainage....it's basically lift, clean and cheat here from Nov-April.

I played on Monday and some free Xmas golf...but it was packed and pathetically slow...so I left after 14 holes.

Saw on the news it was 60*F in Chicago on Xmas....it might have been a record.

Oh, we can play in the slop here in NE Ohio every year, depending on the courses that stay open and what people are willing to put up with! Oh yeah!  It's ugly here too! Last year we had balls plugging in the fairways in late May and into early June! Ridiculous! 

I really derive no pleasure from running out in the middle of the winter for  one round because it’s 50 degrees  .  The ground is still frozen, I’m not playing for free, I’m not accomplishing anything.  I’d rather stick to my off season schedule.

i remember a few years ago here in MA we had a day in the 60’s and people flocked to the course like it was their last round of golf before a ballistic missle strike.  3 hour waits....  a friend of mine was telling me because he went and turned around and went home.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

I really derive no pleasure from running out in the middle of the winter for  one round because it’s 50 degrees  .  The ground is still frozen, I’m not playing for free, I’m not accomplishing anything.  I’d rather stick to my off season schedule.

i remember a few years ago here in MA we had a day in the 60’s and people flocked to the course like it was their last round of golf before a ballistic missle strike.  3 hour waits....  a friend of mine was telling me because he went and turned around and went home.

I’m with you on this. I’m in off-season work on things mode.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave