IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I’m with you on this. I’m in off-season work on things mode.

Same here, except I haven't touched a club in weeks. I think I'll get some practice in today.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50’s today on Long Island,NY. The course I played was in good shape only 1 soggy patch on 18. Today was a gift from the golf gods. Didn’t even need a wool hat. It was that calm and nice. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

22 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

I really derive no pleasure from running out in the middle of the winter for  one round because it’s 50 degrees  .  The ground is still frozen, I’m not playing for free, I’m not accomplishing anything.  I’d rather stick to my off season schedule.

i remember a few years ago here in MA we had a day in the 60’s and people flocked to the course like it was their last round of golf before a ballistic missle strike.  3 hour waits....  a friend of mine was telling me because he went and turned around and went home.

I told my buddies last year that they shouldn't bother calling me until the weather warmed up and the courses got firm! Yet, my buddy called me to go out and I was ready! I would have tried not to take it seriously, though. 

The problem was that they were going to play a course that I REALLY don't like, that is close to an hour away, when we have a goat ranch right in our back yard! 

What used to happen at this time of year for me, was that I'd start visiting the "Golf Dome". I could hit a bucket, putt, chip, even practice sand shots, and then adjourn for a late lunch at an excellent restaurant on the way home! Unfortunately, the dome collapsed under a load of freezing rain and snow a few years back! The owner did not rebuild! They cleaned up the site, pocketed the rest of the money, and walked away! 

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Unfortunately, the dome collapsed under a load of freezing rain and snow a few years back! The owner did not rebuild! They cleaned up the site, pocketed the rest of the money, and walked away! 

That happened to two domes near me.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...

Finished work early today. Would’ve had time to get in 9 holes, except for my car weather showing me:

EAF2F2A5-1903-4D87-B851-F37CC84EDF87.jpeg.d632cec36de92b8c3d4732197d79ba84.jpeg

Winter storm warning, severe thunderstorm warning and tornado warnings nearby. Just wasn’t meant to be. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Today, I went out to the Twin Rivers Golf Course in Fall City, WA to hit my daily bucket of balls. It was very cold, with sheets of sleet and slightly icy rain. The wind was blowing straight into my face with 20 MPH gusts. I had to cover my bag with a cloth to keep my head covers dry. It also felt like I was hitting small granite balls, not the Srixon soft balls I normally game.

Even so, I gave it my best shot and tried to finish up the 51 balls in bucket as fast as I could (I have no idea why they settled on "51" balls and not "50", but I'm not complaining). I don't think I've ever hit 51 balls so quickly.

Screw the weather, I say! As long as the range isn't closed, I'll be there if time permits.

I went to our county course yesterday to hit balls indoors. They have a net and a Trackman. I haven’t hit a ball since September, so I wasn’t expecting to do anything special. I did hit my new Titleist 915F seven wood. I bought this club to go 130 yards and it did. Then I hit my five HB and hit it my normal 110 yards. So I’m still happy and upbeat, but then I hit my 915D2 Driver and it was downhill from there. So, I thought I’ll try to hit my Ping G15 seven iron to inflict more pain. It really hurt as it was ugly. I have been looking for a 915F or a 915F2 16.5 three metal for some time now. I went into the Pro Shop and looked in the barrel and there was a brand new 917F2 16.5 with a Blue stiff shaft. I asked if he could change the shaft to a Red 60 Lite shaft. He went in the back and came back out with the shaft I wanted. I asked how much he wanted for it, he say’s $100 and I said, sold. Made my day!

He has always just sold Titleist, but he is now going to have TM and Callaway. I really want a new set of the Titleist T300 irons, so as soon as he gets them in he will be fitting me to a set.

That is how I am beating depression this winter!

Almost 70 mid January here in NY

0802C57A-2B41-4E2B-AD61-B3ED14AC8CE7.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

We received almost 2" of rain which flooded many roads and our temps are now in the low 20s.   If it's going to be crappy weather, let it be snow!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I have played three 18 hole rounds this January (so far).  All were in decent conditions without frozen greens.  Hard to get too depressed. It will come, however, as winter reassert itself.

Brian Kuehn

16 hours ago, dennyjones said:

We received almost 2" of rain which flooded many roads and our temps are now in the low 20s.   If it's going to be crappy weather, let it be snow!

When I lived there as child, we would ice skate to the park on the roads. They had a nice park with a skating rink and a hockey rink too. After skating is was off to the Pizza Parlor. Believe it or not, pizza was a new thing then (1955ish).

It's snowing here but hey, at least I can open my door and go out.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Snow day on LI. Most has melted already. It was bound to happen. 

off to PGA SS or Golf Galaxy to labor over push carts. My son will be happy he loves the golf store with dad. He will be 3 in a few days. Maybe get his first set of clubs today. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

We received 6 inches of heavy wet snow Saturday.  I usually carry and walk 18 but because of the conditions, I hired a seasonal caddie.  I figured his local knowledge would help me in the tough conditions.  Club choice was rather limited but it did make club choice easier:

bkuehn1952: "What do you suggest from this lie and 150 yards?"

Frosty: "Use the shovel"

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Kind of cold here yesterday, it was 79, but the sun was shining. The breeze from the ocean made it cooler from time to time, but hey that's winter in Cocoa Beach. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22