IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

5 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

No shame in that game. Everyone has their own cut off. Like motorcycle riding with me, I'm a mega fair weather rider.

:-) My cut off is about 40* 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You guys haven’t played with snow falling, huh?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

12 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

:-) My cut off is about 40* 

If the sun is out and there is virtually no wind, for golf, my cutoff is about 25 degrees.  Though I did it once at 15 degrees but the golf course was like a concrete parking lot... long drives on the frozen turf but the wedges would not hold the greens.

2 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

You guys haven’t played with snow falling, huh?

I grew up in St. Louis, of course I played in the snow.

13 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Though I did it once at 15 degrees but the golf course was like a concrete parking lot... long drives on the frozen turf but the wedges would not hold the greens.

I’ve done that. It’s a completely different game. It’s fun, but not something I’d want to do all the time.

The longest drive I ever hit was on a frozen fairway. Nice straight hole so it just kept bouncing. Damn near 500 yards by the time it stopped. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

44 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If the sun is out and there is virtually no wind, for golf, my cutoff is about 25 degrees.  Though I did it once at 15 degrees but the golf course was like a concrete parking lot... long drives on the frozen turf but the wedges would not hold the greens.

I grew up in St. Louis, of course I played in the snow.

Been there with frozen fairways and greens and played in the snow. In neither of those conditions do I play well....it’s one thing to play in less than fun conditions but play well, but to play in uncomfortable conditions and predictably score poorly, it’s a no-go nowadays 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 minute ago, woodzie264 said:

Been there with frozen fairways and greens and played in the snow. In neither of those conditions do I play well....it’s one thing to play in less than fun conditions but play well, but to play in uncomfortable conditions and predictably score poorly, it’s a no-go nowadays 

It's invigorating! Bundle up, make good use of that flask hidden deep in the recesses of your golf bag, don't expect good scores and have fun with friends.  It's something to bring up in your July 4th foursome.

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It's invigorating! Bundle up, make good use of that flask hidden deep in the recesses of your golf bag, don't expect good scores and have fun with friends.  It's something to bring up in your July 4th foursome.

How did you know about my flask?! 😉

-Jonny

There's nothing like playing golf in the 70-80's in shorts, golf shirt, etc, but having all that winter clothing on makes it so hard to swing. Although, I have had some of my longest drives when the ground is frozen. I wait for spring though.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

55 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

There's nothing like playing golf in the 70-80's in shorts, golf shirt, etc, but having all that winter clothing on makes it so hard to swing. Although, I have had some of my longest drives when the ground is frozen. I wait for spring though.

All that extra clothing and outerwear makes for a more compact swing, Mr. Michelin Man.  😁

There's this one too.

• Funny 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

It's the middle of Jan already, so we will start to notice the days getting longer. I just received a tournament list for the 21 season so I am looking them over to see what fits my liking. I regripped my metals and lw. Time goes by pretty fast and golf will return to the northern states.

• Like 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

17 hours ago, nevets88 said:

How many penalty strokes is that for hitting the "sand" during the practice swing?

As for the topic at hand, I am glad December 21 is in the rearview mirror!!!

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Work hasn't taken away my weekends yet. It will soon. In the meantime, I am very bored.

Past years I might have dusted off the bowling equipment, but I'm not doing that with the Covid.

Taking a walk in the snow is about all I can think of.

5 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Work hasn't taken away my weekends yet. It will soon. In the meantime, I am very bored.

Past years I might have dusted off the bowling equipment, but I'm not doing that with the Covid.

Taking a walk in the snow is about all I can think of.

Walk (ski/snowshoe) your favorite course in the snow and start figuring out where your new, longer drives will be landing. Then begin imagining which shorter clubs you'll be hitting into the green.