IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

We will probably have a lot of grass killed because of the snow.

That surprises me. What kind of grass do you have?

We don't know if we have any greens or not yet, but they are Bermuda with a really good chance of winter kill. Problem around here is that Bent is the worst headache in the world in the summer and Bermuda might get killed off with a bad winter (and this one qualified).

Too bad fescue doesn't make good greens. :-D

Most public courses in Ohio don't give a shit about that. The courses here will be open later this week if the temperatures warm up a bit to get people out there. Heck if there was no snow, courses would be open if it was even bellow 30 degrees.

Fox8.com's 8-Day Forecast.... so damn depressing. yet, some courses are in fact open this week. Most of the nicer ones postponed opening until the beginning of April though, if not later.

• Currently

Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy 32°

Humidity:

56%

Pressure:

29.96 in

Wind:

at 8mph

• Mon 17

Mostly Clear Mostly Clear 37° | 26°

Precip:

0%

Wind:

at 8mph

• Tue 18

Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy 50° | 38°

Precip:

0%

Wind:

at 12mph

• Wed 19

Rain Showers Rain Showers 48° | 30°

Precip:

70%

Wind:

at 21mph

• Thu 20

Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy 40° | 27°

Precip:

20%

Wind:

at 14mph

• Fri 21

Rain Showers Rain Showers 48° | 28°

Precip:

40%

Wind:

at 7mph

• Sat 22

Light Snow Light Snow 43° | 22°

Precip:

60%

Wind:

at 11mph

• Sun 23

Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy 33° | 22°

Precip:

0%

Wind:

at 10mph

Fox8.com's 8-Day Forecast.... so damn depressing. yet, some courses are in fact open this week. Most of the nicer ones postponed opening until the beginning of April though, if not later.

My home course said it doesn't expect the course to open until April as well.  Still plenty of freezing temps and even a chance of snow in our 10 day outlook.  I'm hoping some of the public courses will open so I can at least get 9 in before my Myrtle Beach trip.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/71391/winter-depression-thread/648#post_963974"]   We will probably have a lot of grass killed because of the snow. [/QUOTE] That surprises me. What kind of grass do you have? We don't know if we have any greens or not yet, but they are Bermuda with a really good chance of winter kill. Problem around here is that Bent is the worst headache in the world in the summer and Bermuda might get killed off with a bad winter (and this one qualified). Too bad fescue doesn't make good greens. :-D

Bent. It just depends on how the snow affects the turf.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Bent. It just depends on how the snow affects the turf.

Bent will be fine

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
Bent will be fine

As will poa. From what I've been told by supers, etc. it takes a lot to kill grasses. After all, everyone has lawns in this area that survive every winter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/71391/winter-depression-thread/666#post_964021"] Bent. It just depends on how the snow affects the turf.[/QUOTE] Bent will be fine

We get winter kill at times. I don't remember the process but we had it last year. I am going by what someone told me so take it fwiw.

As will poa. From what I've been told by supers, etc. it takes a lot to kill grasses. After all, everyone has lawns in this area that survive every winter.

Interesting. I received a letter from my course and they told me that last time the greens were covered with ice, it killed the poa.

We get winter kill at times. I don't remember the process but we had it last year. I am going by what someone told me so take it fwiw.

Snow shouldn't hurt Bent grass. Playing with it thawed on top and frozen underneath and too early in the mornings after a freeze or frost is a bigger problem according to all of the superintendents around here.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of it because they simply don't let anybody on the greens in those two conditions for me to see for myself. :-D

• Administrator
Interesting. I received a letter from my course and they told me that last time the greens were covered with ice, it killed the poa.

It takes some weird conditions. The ice alone doesn't do it - usually a warm few days that then freezes can do it, apparently: http://www.turf.msu.edu/winterkill-of-turfgrass .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That is what nailed us in Northern Maine last year. We have been getting a thaw in January with a bit of rain which melted most of the snow, refroze, melted again and then froze up for the rest of the winter. Had to reseed the greens 3 times for it to finally take and had temporary greens on most of the course until late June but never really got good until late July. Tough year last year, luckily the snow survived this years January thaw so we should be in good shape plus our course is now covering the greens.

just snow cover isnt usually a problem. bent usually can survive winter. turf under ice for 90 days can reek havoc due to no gas exchange. poa is pron to this. all turf can be damaged by crown hydration (ie rain hydrates the crown then it freezes)

It takes some weird conditions. The ice alone doesn't do it - usually a warm few days that then freezes can do it, apparently: [URL=http://www.turf.msu.edu/winterkill-of-turfgrass]http://www.turf.msu.edu/winterkill-of-turfgrass[/URL] .

I guess I'll find out in May. Also, according to this site, bent grass can survive 3 times as long as poa under ice (90 days vs 30 days). http://www.wctaturf.com/topics/repage/reaug99.html

I hate to be a prick* but I was just assessing the old sock tan in the shower the other day at the end of this long, hot Southern Hemisphere summer -- and I think it's close to my best ever!

(* OK, no I don't or I wouldn't be posting here :-D )

PS: Yes I know the left foot got hit with the ugly stick.

PPS: May your summers also be excellent, Northern brethren.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

@Stretch ,

That will be my look come July!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have some stuff to take care of on Friday, but luckily I was also able to set up a tee time in the afternoon for 18. It should be near 50 and sunny! It'll be the second official day of Spring and the Winter Depression is receding! :beer:

3-6 or 8 inches tonight into tomorrow. Given the year it will probably be at least 8 inches. Single digit temperatures all week long in the morning with more than half being below zero....

3-6 or 8 inches tonight into tomorrow. Given the year it will probably be at least 8 inches. Single digit temperatures all week long in the morning with more than half being below zero....

wow... that just sucks

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice