smellysell

Winter Depression Thread

3,183 posts / 141133 viewsLast Reply

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

You’re not welcome in this thread. 

We had a couple of inches of snow on Sunday. It’s already melted, but annoying that we’re at this time of year already. Could have another decent month, could have less. 

Yeah, I had a tee time for Monday and the course was closed due to snow.  The very next day the course opened as all the snow melted on Monday.

Ugh!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Beauty of a day yesterday. it was mid 50s, but the sun was out and no wind. I played 27.

It really sucked waking this morning to a windshield full of frost. Now that I'm parking on the street, it has become one element of winter I really despise.

I always get a bit melancholy this time of year because it gets dark early and the outdoor non-winter sport activity is coming to an end. I'll keep playing as long as I can, but then it's indoor practice after that. 

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I always get a bit melancholy this time of year because it gets dark early and the outdoor non-winter sport activity is coming to an end. I'll keep playing as long as I can, but then it's indoor practice after that. 

Yeah, the seasons make me try and milk the summer as much as I can but sometimes you burn out, and wind up indoors when it's sunny outside. Hopefully the NOAA is wrong about El Niño. 

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Yeah, the seasons make me try and milk the summer as much as I can but sometimes you burn out, and wind up indoors when it's sunny outside. Hopefully the NOAA is wrong about El Niño. 

Doesn't El Niño mean it will be warmer than usual?

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Doesn't El Niño mean it will be warmer than usual?

I'm no weatherperson. I thought it meant more storms, snow. It's hate snow. 

3 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Current weather conditions in Northern Michigan....

Aaaahhhhhh! My eyes!!!!  Such an obscenity!!!

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

keep it!

Just now, tlazzol said:

Aaaahhhhhh! My eyes!!!!  Such an obscenity!!!

Ha ha. Don't kid yourselves. It's only a matter of time for those of you downstate.

I'm still heading out tomorrow if they let me on the course. Might have to wait until noon when it's supposed to "warm up" to a toasty 40°.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2018 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
    • Here are my top five favorite and least favorite players currently on the PGA Tour. Favorites------------Jason Day, Phil Mickelson, Rory McIlroy, Rickie Fowler and Francesco Molinari Least Favorites----Dustin Johnson, Bill Haas, Billy Horshel, Rory Sabbatini and Hunter Mahan                                                                                                                                           I don't really dislike the last five as much as I just catch myself pulling against them when they are in contention. (Also, I realize Haas and Mahan are not in the top 125 right now). Who are your favorites and least favorites?
    • Well, it's not an absolute, of course.  It's just a tendency to fare well in the long game and crap out in the short game.  (BTW, the 7-iron over the green was pretty useful information for me.  It is the result of my fiddling with the swing.  Looks like I am getting about 20-30 yards extra off my irons with this hips-first swing.) BTW, on the 7 you quoted, I hit a 2nd shot off the tee since the right shoreline is tree-lined and I did not think I could get a decent drop.  I should have put that part in there.  Naturally that faded some and ended under a tree anyway. pfft Klineka, we are so far off the topic now that I have nearly forgot the point. Actually, this thread has been off point for a long time anyway.
    • made some changes and have a few DTL videos to share. noticed inconsistent ball position was causing some previously unexplained mishits. using a couple of alignment rods to fix this. widened stance and feeling more centered foot pressure. just feels more solid. keeping chin higher at address and throughout backswing. much easier to get a full turn and had the unintended consequence (along with wider stance) of reducing lateral head movement when i load up (à la henrik stenson). using a neutral grip now. most frequent miss has turned into a pull. neutral grip helps prevent pull hooks. first video is a drill (7-iron) i'm using to improve tempo and separation. it's the drill i love to hate: challenging and significantly reduces power but very helpful. this particular swing is acceptable but i want to try to get more separation. 1) i need better core strength and to do more pelvic exercises. and 2) i need to trust the top half will follow the bottom half. feedback or questions? second video is about 80% tempo with a p-wedge. there's a clear difference between this and the drill swing. i hit this ball dead straight but it could've easily been a 10-yard pull if my timing was slightly off. i want to fix this so i don't rely on timing and i think that starts with a more consistent path on the backswing (like in the drill) and getting better separation so i don't jump at the ball from the top before sliding/turning with the lower half. feedback or questions? third video is an example of how much more drastic this swing flaw looks with longer irons. here i'm hitting a 16.5* driving iron. saved the shot with good timing and roasted a baby pull fade but it could have turned out badly. i want this club to be my fairway finder. have made solid progress in the last few weeks but still have a bit of work to do before i'm comfortable bagging it. feedback or questions?  
    • I wear jeans to work, and thus find myself on the driving range wearing jeans quite frequently.   No real positive or negative to swinging in jeans.  a bit hot in the summer.   kinda nice in the fall.   
    • I second what @billchao says. You want someone to take a look at your swing. But if you're going to look on YouTube, just for general knowledge on the swing, I would check out Eric Cogorno. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClOp9ASmFYATO1zFfpB7QlA Or Athletic Motion Golf https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvtpTGbGiMgI8gWlsMUmdLA
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. gabrielwalker
      gabrielwalker
      (29 years old)
    2. Justin C
      Justin C
      (33 years old)
    3. Sean G
      Sean G
      (35 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...