IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Guys, guys, guys!!!

The strangest thing happened today.

I went to play golf. I get to the first tee. I hit my ball, it goes up, draws back to the middle, and comes down… and then went back up again after it hit the ground!?!

What is going on here?

It kept doing this on most tee shots all day! Someone said it was called "bouncing." Unheard of this year, I'll have to research this phenomenon. My ball was actually not within 20 inches of the spot where it initially landed!

This is a game changer!

It’s a miracle!😄

I had a drive downhill, downwind that actually rolled an extra 20 yards!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, iacas said:

Guys, guys, guys!!!

I went to play golf. I get to the first tee. I hit my ball, it goes up, draws back to the middle, and comes down… and then went back up again after it hit the ground!?!

What is going on here?

It kept doing this on most tee shots all day! Someone said it was called "bouncing." Unheard of this year, I'll have to research this phenomenon. My ball was actually not within 20 inches of the spot where it initially landed!

This is a game changer!

Hah! What did you do, go out of town to some place warmer and drier? I've gotten used to seeing the ball come down and disappear from sight! Or it jumps backward a foot or two. And another round of storms is heading our way. Lovely! At least the weather held off for the Memorial today.

Edited by Buckeyebowman

22 hours ago, iacas said:

Guys, guys, guys!!!

What is going on here?

This is a game changer!

I suspect an illegal golf ball. That sounds like an unfair advantage.

• 2 weeks later...

Well great! The 2019 Spring/Summer Depression Thread is back on the air! Turned on the TV to see that what looks like half the state of Ohio, and a big chunk of NW PA, is under a Flash Flood Watch until Tuesday morning! 2" to 3" of rain generally, with localized areas getting 4" to 6"! 

We had tee times for Sunday morning and that's looking like a bust! Then we had a backup plan for Wednesday. Don't know if that will happen either. Even if it's not raining at the time (30% chance predicted), the course is liable to be muck! 

The golf courses are screwed, and so are the farmers! I am getting so tired of this!

Even better, I noticed in the Saturday paper the annual AJGA tournament was supposed to be played at Mill Creek starting today. First, they had to move it from the South Course to the North, because the south is a swamp! Qualifying was supposed to tee off at 8AM today! Well, it poured most of the night until about dawn. Then we had a little break until it poured again from about 10;30AM to 12;30PM. 

And, oh great! A tornado warning just went up!

I just spent three days up in Lewiston, MI at Garland Resort.  It rained every day.  On Saturday we played a course called Swampfire.   The water was so deep that they had to have a temporary bridge on the cartpath.   We pushed water on other cartpaths that were as high as the floorboard of the cart.   I'm sure if it wasn't such a large group and being prepaid, the course would have been closed.       

Flooding is everywhere but I heard a meteorologist this morning say we have not had as much rain this year as last year, just more frequent.  (Michigan)

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

8 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I just spent three days up in Lewiston, MI at Garland Resort.  It rained every day.  On Saturday we played a course called Swampfire.   The water was so deep that they had to have a temporary bridge on the cartpath.   We pushed water on other cartpaths that were as high as the floorboard of the cart.   I'm sure if it wasn't such a large group and being prepaid, the course would have been closed.       

Flooding is everywhere but I heard a meteorologist this morning say we have not had as much rain this year as last year, just more frequent.  (Michigan)

It’s supposed to rain here all week long. Only 1/3 of the farmers bothered to plant crops, and those that did are going to lose a lot of their fields. 

- Shane

It looks like the tornado happened! A local TV station interrupted coverage of the US Open to report on the tornado watch. They have a car equipped with a camera to act as storm chasers. What I saw sure looked like tornado to me! And wouldn't you know that it took place in the little town of Brookfield, which is where the course we want to play is located! It's called Yankee Run and is one of our most favorite. Close to 90 years old, but constantly modernized and improved. Not one of those old courses that time forgot! 

Heard an interesting tidbit on the radio today. The longest stretch of days with no precipitation we've enjoyed this year has been 3 days! And that has only happened twice, May 6-7-8, and June 6-7-8. 

Well, as it turned out, our Wednesday fall back plan is officially kaput! Read in the paper today that there are an estimated 300 trees down at Yankee Run, the course we wanted to play, because of the tornado. The NWS folks were here today and figure that were 2, and maybe 3, tornadoes in Trumbull Co., OH. Luckily there were no fatalities, but there was a ton of property damage. 

If there's a silver lining to the above story, I read it in today's paper. Shortly after the storm moved through, about 50 people showed up at the course with rakes and chainsaws to help! People have been showing up anywhere from 50 to 70 a day to help the course get back on it's feet. Local grocery stores are sending food there to feed the workers, and other local courses are offering assistance. This course has been in existence for 88 years, and always in the same, local family. There's something to be said for living in a small town!

The course hopes to reopen this Saturday. i imagine it will look significantly different from the last time we played it. As one of the owners said in the paper, "As soon as we saw the tornado swallow the first green, we knew we had big trouble! " This may take a year or two to completely iron out. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

We are going from highs in the mid-nineties to the sixties, so it’s about time for me to crawl into my winter hole. Frankly, the way I’m playing as well as how much it hurts to swing a club, I might just retire from this stupid game. 

- Shane

We've had three days of heavy rain, some areas receiving over 7".   It may also be time to put the clubs away or get the waders out.   I'm hoping to golf twice next week but we're hoping the courses will be open.  

Can't believe this thread is being revived already...

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

12 minutes ago, Yukari said:

It was in the low 40s earlier this morning, high 30s tonight!    Hopefully we'll still have a few weeks of golf available.

6 hours ago, Yukari said:

Seriously.

Too soon, guys. Too soon.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

21 hours ago, dennyjones said:

We've had three days of heavy rain, some areas receiving over 7".   It may also be time to put the clubs away or get the waders out.   I'm hoping to golf twice next week but we're hoping the courses will be open.  

We haven’t had significant rain since June. Yard is crunchy. Leaves are turning brown and falling. 

- Shane