Jump to content
smellysell

Winter Depression Thread

3,322 posts / 165385 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

There was definitely a crushing sense of finality last night as we had the year-end association meeting. 

Hit some balls before hand, but the 35-mph gusts and temperatures in the 50s, made it less than ideally pleasant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

True that! We got out for maybe one last hurrah at one of our favorite courses in the area this past Saturday. My buddy booked the tee time for noon, which was smart. It got into the low 30's over night, and the starter told us that there was a delay for frost on the greens. It wasn't all that warm even at noon, but it was a sunny day and got pretty nice, even though I wore the windbreaker all day. 

Don't know if we'll get another shot at it, but pheasant season opens across the line in PA tomorrow, so maybe I'll get a shot at a couple of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's been a really shitty calendar year for golf weather in Colorado. October is just topping it off. Here's the past week-ish:

  • October 20 - had a tournament. 30 mph winds, with 50+ mph gusts. Balls were being blown off the green. Tournament was cancelled.
  • October 24 - 6 inches of snow (it melted, for the most part)
  • October 27/28 - 7+ inches snow

More snow predicted tomorrow afternoon-Wednesday morning. We're going to easily end up with more than a foot of snow on the ground at the end of October. Woof.

This is unusual but not unheard of. Our handicap season goes to November 15, and most years, I'll get in multiple rounds in October and November. This year, looks like only 1 round in October. Might get 1 or 2 in November, but that is still up in the air. We're not getting above freezing until Thursday at the earliest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

It's been a really shitty calendar year for golf weather in Colorado. October is just topping it off. Here's the past week-ish:

  • October 20 - had a tournament. 30 mph winds, with 50+ mph gusts. Balls were being blown off the green. Tournament was cancelled.
  • October 24 - 6 inches of snow (it melted, for the most part)
  • October 27/28 - 7+ inches snow

More snow predicted tomorrow afternoon-Wednesday morning. We're going to easily end up with more than a foot of snow on the ground at the end of October. Woof.

This is unusual but not unheard of. Our handicap season goes to November 15, and most years, I'll get in multiple rounds in October and November. This year, looks like only 1 round in October. Might get 1 or 2 in November, but that is still up in the air. We're not getting above freezing until Thursday at the earliest.

Yup, it has been rather dismal October for golf on the front range.  Looks like we may be in for a quite of bit of snow this year.  Glad I got my Epic season pass for snowboarding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not really winter here but this week marks the end of my playing some golf after work. Once we "fall back" on Saturday, I only have about an hour of daylight left after work. This marks the start of my "winter golf", playing once a week on week-ends. Now I just wait for the holidays so I can play some more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yesterday it was close to 80, with a very tropical feel to the air. Right now it is 44, and windy. Talk about a shock to the system!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We received about 1 - 1 1/2" of snow.   It is melting today but with the previous two days of rain, we have new lakes everywhere.   Golf season is over...😪

I do believe I'll join a simulator league.    The athletic club where I hit into a net in the winter is installing a new simulator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why did any of your ancestors ever move to a cold winter climate?!  Cheap land, homesteading?  Wolverine fans in 1879?  Apparently they didn't play golf.  They should have moved south and you could have been neighbors to Vinsk.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
Added extra jibberish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Why did any of your ancestors ever move to a cold winter climate?!  Cheap land, homesteading?  Wolverine fans in 1879?  Apparently they didn't play golf.  They should have moved south and you could have been neighbors to Vinsk.

 

My parents grew up in SE Missouri and were farmers.   My dad moved to Michigan because the auto industry was hiring people off of the street with great pay and great benefits.   Michigan has it's advantages over places in the south too.   We only have one type of rattle snake (sign where I played Tuesday).  No scorpions, No sharks, no salt water, a Great Lake within 60 minutes of almost everywhere in the state, very few days of 90° temperatures and four seasons.   The cost of living, at least where I live is great compared to other places.  

We are considering becoming a snow bird during the winter but probably will never leave Michigan completely.   I would love to be @Vinsk golf partner during the winter.   We'd get along great!

snake.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

My parents grew up in SE Missouri and were farmers.   My dad moved to Michigan because the auto industry was hiring people off of the street with great pay and great benefits.   Michigan has it's advantages over places in the south too.   We only have one type of rattle snake (sign where I played Tuesday).  No scorpions, No sharks, no salt water, a Great Lake within 60 minutes of almost everywhere in the state, very few days of 90° temperatures and four seasons.   The cost of living, at least where I live is great compared to other places.  

We are considering becoming a snow bird during the winter but probably will never leave Michigan completely.   I would love to be @Vinsk golf partner during the winter.   We'd get along great!

snake.jpg

Great story and great sign.  My Dad moved from Tennessee to work in the Chevrolet plant in St. Louis... long before I was born.  He'd fly to meetings in Flint, Michigan.  One of my best golfing buddies is from Michigan...he goes back every late summer to play with old golfing friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The first White Death of the season started dropping about 10 minutes ago.

 

A sad, lonely, little tear just formed in the corner of my eye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

39 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The first White Death of the season started dropping about 10 minutes ago.

 

Darn you! Not 20 minutes after I read this, the snow started to fall here too.
I blame you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The ski hill here is opening this weekend. Next week they are forecasting single digit temperatures for overnight lows. Our October weather was so bad I only got in 27 holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Darn you! Not 20 minutes after I read this, the snow started to fall here too.
I blame you. 

If it makes you feel any better, go ahead. I'll have to find my own scapegoat.

Really, I'm pissed at my CPE course, because yesterday would have been a pretty good day to get out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...