IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

There was definitely a crushing sense of finality last night as we had the year-end association meeting.Β 

Hit some balls before hand, but the 35-mph gusts and temperatures in the 50s, made it less than ideally pleasant.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

True that! We got out for maybe one last hurrah at one of our favorite courses in the area this past Saturday. My buddy booked the tee time for noon, which was smart. It got into the low 30's over night, and the starter told us that there was a delay for frost on the greens. It wasn't all that warm even at noon, but it was a sunny day and got pretty nice, even though I wore the windbreaker all day.Β 

Don't know if we'll get another shot at it, but pheasant season opens across the line in PA tomorrow, so maybe I'll get a shot at a couple of them.

It's beenΒ a really shitty calendar year for golf weather in Colorado. October is just topping it off. Here's the past week-ish:

• October 20 - had a tournament. 30 mph winds, with 50+ mph gusts. Balls were being blown off the green. Tournament was cancelled.
  • October 24 - 6 inches of snow (it melted, for the most part)
  • October 27/28 - 7+ inches snow

More snow predicted tomorrow afternoon-Wednesday morning. We're going to easily end up with more than a foot of snow on the ground at the end of October. Woof.

This is unusual but not unheard of. Our handicap season goes to November 15, and most years, I'll get in multiple rounds in October and November. This year, looks like only 1 round in October. Might get 1 or 2 in November, but that is still up in the air. We're not getting above freezing until Thursday at the earliest.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

It's beenΒ a really shitty calendar year for golf weather in Colorado. October is just topping it off. Here's the past week-ish:

• October 20 - had a tournament. 30 mph winds, with 50+ mph gusts. Balls were being blown off the green. Tournament was cancelled.
  • October 24 - 6 inches of snow (it melted, for the most part)
  • October 27/28 - 7+ inches snow

More snow predicted tomorrow afternoon-Wednesday morning. We're going to easily end up with more than a foot of snow on the ground at the end of October. Woof.

This is unusual but not unheard of. Our handicap season goes to November 15, and most years, I'll get in multiple rounds in October and November. This year, looks like only 1 round in October. Might get 1 or 2 in November, but that is still up in the air. We're not getting above freezing until Thursday at the earliest.

Yup, it has been rather dismal October for golf on the front range.Β  Looks like we may be in for a quite of bit of snow this year.Β  Glad I got my Epic season pass for snowboarding.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Not really winter here but this week marks the end of my playing some golf after work. Once we "fall back" on Saturday, I only have about an hour of daylight left after work. This marks the start of my "winter golf", playing once a week on week-ends. Now I just wait for the holidays so I can play some more.Β 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)Β 

We received about 1 - 1 1/2" of snow.Β  Β It is melting today but with the previous two days of rain, we have new lakes everywhere.Β  Β Golf season is over...πŸ˜ͺ

I do believe I'll join a simulator league.Β  Β  The athletic club where I hit into a net in the winter is installing a new simulator.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

Why did any of your ancestors ever move to a cold winter climate?!Β  Cheap land, homesteading?Β  Wolverine fans in 1879?Β  Apparently they didn't play golf.Β  They should have moved south and you could have been neighbors to Vinsk.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
Added extra jibberish

4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Why did any of your ancestors ever move to a cold winter climate?!Β  Cheap land, homesteading?Β  Wolverine fans in 1879?Β  Apparently they didn't play golf.Β  They should have moved south and you could have been neighbors to Vinsk.

Β 

My parents grew up in SE Missouri and were farmers.Β  Β My dad moved to Michigan because the auto industry was hiring people off of the street with great pay and great benefits.Β  Β Michigan has it's advantages over places in the south too.Β  Β We only have one type of rattle snake (sign where I played Tuesday).Β  No scorpions, No sharks, no salt water, a Great Lake within 60 minutes of almost everywhere in the state, very few days of 90Β° temperatures and four seasons.Β  Β The cost of living, at least where I live is great compared to other places.Β Β 

We are considering becoming a snow bird during the winter but probably will never leave Michigan completely.Β  Β I would love to be @VinskΒ golf partner during the winter.Β  Β We'd get along great!

snake.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

My parents grew up in SE Missouri and were farmers.Β  Β My dad moved to Michigan because the auto industry was hiring people off of the street with great pay and great benefits.Β  Β Michigan has it's advantages over places in the south too.Β  Β We only have one type of rattle snake (sign where I played Tuesday).Β  No scorpions, No sharks, no salt water, a Great Lake within 60 minutes of almost everywhere in the state, very few days of 90Β° temperatures and four seasons.Β  Β The cost of living, at least where I live is great compared to other places.Β Β 

We are considering becoming a snow bird during the winter but probably will never leave Michigan completely.Β  Β I would love to be @VinskΒ golf partner during the winter.Β  Β We'd get along great!

snake.jpg

Great story and great sign.Β  My Dad moved from Tennessee to work in the Chevrolet plant in St. Louis... long before I was born.Β  He'd fly to meetings in Flint, Michigan.Β  One of my best golfing buddies is from Michigan...he goes back every late summer to play with old golfing friends.

23 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The first White Death of the season started dropping about 10 minutes ago.

Β 

A sad, lonely, little tear just formed in the corner of my eye.Β 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

24 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Β 

Use brightly colored balls. πŸ˜„Β :-D

Retired Old Man

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway RogueΒ 5 Wood, regular flexΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style PutterΒ 

Β 

39 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Β 

Darn you! Not 20 minutes after I read this, the snow started to fall here too.
I blame you.Β 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

The ski hill here is opening this weekend. Next week they are forecasting single digit temperatures for overnight lows. Our October weather was so bad I onlyΒ got in 27 holes.

20 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Darn you! Not 20 minutes after I read this, the snow started to fall here too.
I blame you.Β 

If it makes you feel any better, go ahead. I'll have to find my own scapegoat.

Really, I'm pissed at my CPE course, because yesterday would have been a pretty good day to get out.

Β 

• Upvote 1