IGNORED

Holy crap, I'm gonna play golf with Graeme McDowell!

David in FL
Note: This thread is 2615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Judging by your report, Graeme really sounds like the same person he looks like.

Down to earth, nice and a comfortable person with which to spend time. Pretty good personality for number 12 in the world. :-)

BTW, I'm sure he can hit much farther. Those distances you quoted are probably hit with 80% effort swings, and those were the longer ones.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BTW, I'm sure he can hit much farther. Those distances you quoted are probably hit with 80% effort swings, and those were the longer ones.

possibly, but on the tours own stats page he is almost at the bottom of the list.

Colin P.

Thanks again @David in FL.  Of course the picture above will start a flurry of "wearing hats indoors" comments!

Well, he is the Owner and can probably do whatever floats his boat !!!

Great story David. Thanks for sharing.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

possibly, but on the tours own stats page he is almost at the bottom of the list.

To that, I am pretty confident that the ones in the middle up to the 90th percentile can also hit 20% farther. I think the top distance tour pros probably can do well in long distance drives, if that was their goal.

They make a lot more money being in control, than just plain far.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Is it safe to say that GMac is your new favorite golfer?

Yeah, probably.......well, him and whoever has a chance to beat Tiger in any given week! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Thanks again @David in FL.  Of course the picture above will start a flurry of "wearing hats indoors" comments!

Ban him!  Who the heck does he think he is?

Anyway, fantastic info, David.  It really is amazing how much control these guys have.  Hitting 18 greens and knowing you barely missed another 3w from 260-ish out is something I'll never have to worry about experiencing.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Wow!!! Sounds like a fantastic day.

I always wanted to play with one of the guys on the PGA Tour just one time just to see how my very best shots really stack up against the ones they hit all the time.

I like your description of what he looked like when he really tried to hit the ball farther. Reminded me of Freddy Couples in one of those Playing Lessons From the Pros things I saw when first started playing golf. Freddy said "I'm going to hit this one as hard as I can". When he made what looked like his normal swing he said "That's as hard as I can hit one".

I thought to myself, Hell Freddy, you didn't even come out of your shoes like I always do. Ha ha! (Of course he hit it well over 300 yards).

I didn't understand at the time that "as hard as I can" to him meant "as hard as I can" (while still using an actual golf swing).

I didn't understand at the time that "as hard as I can" to him meant "as hard as I can" (while still using an actual golf swing).

Good point.  This is something I speculated about in one of those distance threads, but few would acknowledge.

Great day for you , David.  I am struck by your observation that he hits all his shots with control rather than maximum distance, and he doesn't try to work the ball left or right.  Sounds like good advice for all of us. After all, he somehow managed a smooth 63 doing it his way.

You'll get a lot of advice, but here's one that you might not get. Be a little (or a lot) more hesitant to say "good shot" than you normally would. Sometimes poorer players will say "good shot" when I thin a wedge that hits into a tier and happens to grab and wind up close, but it was a lucky shot, not a good shot. I've learned to not let it bug me, but it used to, and I know some good players who get quite irked by that kind of stuff. Look at his reaction and if he seems pleased, offer up a nice quiet "shot" (usually people don't say "good" at the better player level :D). Don't go over the top, just a restrained "shot" will be good. Aside from that, just play golf. You'll be fine.

This post by @iacas is spot on, and something that was actually on my mind.......well at least after the first hole. Graeme was no more than 130 out after his drive on one. He hit, his second, and from where I was, I could see that it was inside about 15 feet. I gave him a little "shot".....and got just a little bit of the stink-eye in return. Nothing overt, but I definitely noticed. That got my attention and I remembered that his standards from a buck 30 and my own, were worlds apart... I probably didn't compliment more than 2 or 3 of his shots the rest of the day.......but they deserved it, by any standard!

In David's bag....

I have a friend that does this.  She says "great shot" no matter how bad it is.  It makes me crazy.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This is the thing that we amatuers just can't seem to get through our skulls is that when Graeme said hes going to hit this hard just means hes going to be more relaxed through the hit of the ball and let the swing reach maximum speed. We on the other hand put the death grip on the damn club and tense our arms and shoulders that making an athletic move is an absolute impossibility.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

What's with the "shot" instead of nice shot or oh shit.

More cooler. B-) That's how the pros do it.

What's with the "shot" instead of nice shot or oh shit.

Well, when was the last time you said bad shot to someone...? :-)

In David's bag....

Well, when was the last time you said bad shot to someone...?

Does it count if I say it to myself?

Does it count if I say it to myself?

Normally I just say, YOU SUCK.....  That tends to cover most of what I'm capable of on the course. :8)

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 2615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!