IGNORED

what forms of golf etiquette do you ignore and why?

tqcishark
Note: This thread is 3398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play with people I don't know about half the time - so I'm not really sheltered by playing with buddies all the time.

I definitely like to play ready golf - but usually clear it with the group on the first tee.  I've never had anyone object.  Also, if someone is consistently slow to get to the tee box - I'll just go ahead even if we didn't talk about it.  They'll get the hint I guess.  It's silly not to be able to get to the box pretty quickly.

You mentioned standing in the line of a putt?  That is actually against the rules.  I don't think this should ever be done.  I've seen Mickelson stand to the side and sort of drift over after the putt is hit to try to get a little view.  I do this occasionally.

I have a buddy who talks in more backswings than Faldo.  It is infuriating.  Sometimes he whispers but isn't as quiet as he thinks he is.  The worst part - sometimes he asks me questions in someones backswing - which sometimes I answer just because it is instinct to answer when spoke to.  Now I'm the jackass!  I don't actually play with him much anymore.

I keep the phone on silent and just check it frequently if I'm on call.  Infrequently if not.

I hate it when someone walks ahead of me and seems completely unaware that I'm ready to hit and the back of his head is between me and the green.  This happens too much.

I do something that is probably perceived as bad etiquette, but I don't think it should be.  If we're on the green and it isn't my turn to putt, as long as I'm not in a anyone's way, I'll go ahead and get my ball on the ground.  To avoid confusion, the first time it comes up, I'll explain that I'm just getting it on the ground now to save a little time and I make sure it doesn't bother anyone.  That way when my turn comes, all I have to do is putt.  I actually think this should become good etiquette.

The worst think I do is probably not sanding my divots often enough.  I usually walk and hence don't have one of those sand bottles with me.  If I'm playing with cart guys, I'll borrow theirs when convenient.  And most of the divots here don't come off like dollar bills.  They just explode into several pieces.  I need to find a better solution for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey View Post

I do something that is probably perceived as bad etiquette, but I don't think it should be.  If we're on the green and it isn't my turn to putt, as long as I'm not in a anyone's way, I'll go ahead and get my ball on the ground. To avoid confusion, the first time it comes up, I'll explain that I'm just getting it on the ground now to save a little time and I make sure it doesn't bother anyone.  That way when my turn comes, all I have to do is putt.  I actually think this should become good etiquette.

I don't know why you would think that there is anything wrong with this.  You aren't even required to lift your ball in the first place unless requested to do so.  Replacing it in preparation to play is perfectly fine as long as it isn't in someone's way.  I often just mark with the toe of my putter, quickly wipe off any dirt if necessary, then immediately replace it.  That's no breach of anything.

Quote:
The worst think I do is probably not sanding my divots often enough.  I usually walk and hence don't have one of those sand bottles with me.  If I'm playing with cart guys, I'll borrow theirs when convenient.  And most of the divots here don't come off like dollar bills.  They just explode into several pieces.  I need to find a better solution for this.

As long as you make your best effort, then there is nothing wrong from an etiquette point of view.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Only the good die young!!"

@Fourputt , I knew it was a rule, but I think many people take it as etiquette. Honestly it does sound much more like an etiquette thing than a rule thing, but I'm not arguing that. I agree with you. I personally don't mind someone in front of me. I will let them know if they are in the kill zone for my shot, I'm a nice guy. I know guys who hate it, in that regard I will try not to go ahead of them.

I agree, I rather play a round of golf with those who are loose and want to have a fun time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

I do something that is probably perceived as bad etiquette, but I don't think it should be.  If we're on the green and it isn't my turn to putt, as long as I'm not in a anyone's way, I'll go ahead and get my ball on the ground.  To avoid confusion, the first time it comes up, I'll explain that I'm just getting it on the ground now to save a little time and I make sure it doesn't bother anyone.  That way when my turn comes, all I have to do is putt.  I actually think this should become good etiquette.

I don't know why you would think that there is anything wrong with this.  You aren't even required to lift your ball in the first place unless requested to do so.  Replacing it in preparation to play is perfectly fine as long as it isn't in someone's way.  I often just mark with the toe of my putter, quickly wipe off any dirt if necessary, then immediately replace it.  That's no breach of anything.

Yeah, I don't think anything is wrong with it either.  But it is done so uncommonly that people get really confused and think I'm trying to skip them - even after we've talked about it.  I like your 'immediate replace' method - but often times I need to grab it up and go get the flag out so we can get on with things.  People don't always have their head in the game and I'd rather go ahead and get it out than wait around on the others to think of it

The groups I tend to play with usually play ready golf rather than adhering religiously to honors and who's away. If I've tapped in for a bogey, and the final person in our group is lining up a birdie putt, I'll go ahead and tee up on the next tee box. If your foursome has a ball ready to fly down the fairway when the rest of the group arrives on the box, it saves time.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

The groups I tend to play with usually play ready golf rather than adhering religiously to honors and who's away.  If I've tapped in for a bogey, and the final person in our group is lining up a birdie putt, I'll go ahead and tee up on the next tee box. If your foursome has a ball ready to fly down the fairway when the rest of the group arrives on the box, it saves time.

Unless my group is actually off pace and losing ground on the group in front of us, I'll never leave the green area before everyone putts out.  I consider that to be rude, like turning your back and walking away in the middle of a conversation.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Got to be honest, that doesn't worry me at all. If you've already putted out, and you're not wandering around on my through line, go ahead and leave. And when you get to the next tee box, just hit your drive. I don't care who's honor it is, either. Let's keep those doggies rolling!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I usually don't remove my hat when I shake hands on the 18th green.

I don't usually where a hat, but yes I see quite a few times players do not remove theirs at the conclusion of play, and some cases do not shake hands either.To me it doesn't really bother me, I see as an older tradition from a time when gentleman wore hats all the time.

I do take my hat off when I shake hands but I don't think it's really an old tradition. @iacas pointed this out to me,  you never see players like Hogan, Snead take their hats off after the last putt.

Couple videos I found, notice how they keep their hats on.

Skip to 49:30

1:40

5:25

Venturi has his hat off (more in a reaction to the putt and the crowd) but Ray Floyd doesn't take his off when he shakes Venturi's hand

Same kinda thing here, Arnie throws his hat but the other players keep theirs on

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On the subject of hats, I also note when guys wear their hats in the club restaurant/grill.  To each his own but I was taught to remove one's head gear upon entering a building.  It is a good habit to form because there are places where the staff will say something to members/guests.

Brian Kuehn

If the phone isn't in vibrate mode then it's a guaranteed breach of etiquette, and just plain rude.  I don't care what your excuse is.  If you can't do that and keep any communications to an absolute minimum, then you and I won't be playing together again, period.  I have a very low tolerance for phones on the golf course. This is a major pet peeve for me.

My wife has health issues so I keep my phone on so I can hear it.  If I am playing with other than my regular partners, who all know this, I tell my fellow players and I have yet to have anyone who seemed to care about it.

Loyalty above all else, except honor.

• Administrator

I do take my hat off when I shake hands but I don't think it's really an old tradition. @iacas pointed this out to me,  you never see players like Hogan, Snead take their hats off after the last putt.

Yeah.

And I don't take my hat off. It's a small protest over the weird way this has become "etiquette" out of nowhere. It's not etiquette, nor is it etiquette (emphasis added purposefully) per what's in the Rules book.

Here's a thread for this if you want to talk about it: http://thesandtrap.com/t/38266/shaking-hands-with-your-foursome-removing-your-hat-on-18th-green/ . I'm sure there are others as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On the subject of hats, I also note when guys wear their hats in the club restaurant/grill.  To each his own but I was taught to remove one's head gear upon entering a building.  It is a good habit to form because there are places where the staff will say something to members/guests.

this bugs me beyond belief.  why are men wearing hats inside?  is it going to rain?  is the sun beating down on it?  take your hat off when you go inside, youll look better.

Colin P.

One removes one's headgear on the 18th green for the handshake and it remains off for all subsequent social activities. Surely even Americans can get the hang of this?

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I disagree. Unless you are bald chances are your messed up hat hair looks worse than your hat. Unless it's a club rule do what you want.

Dave :-)

• Administrator
One removes one's headgear on the 18th green for the handshake and it remains off for all subsequent social activities. Surely even Americans can get the hang of this?

Nah. See the videos above. There's literally no reason at all to take your hat off while you're still outside.

this bugs me beyond belief.  why are men wearing hats inside?  is it going to rain?  is the sun beating down on it?  take your hat off when you go inside, youll look better.

Yes, because hat hair is so attractive…

Wearing hats inside (or not) is nothing but an old "tradition" that's slowly declining. When's the last time you saw everyone at a table stand when a woman got up or sat down? Or pulled the chair out for her?

FWIW I take my hat off if it's a nice place, but in the grill room, it usually just stays on. I wear a hat sometimes in my house, but don't wear shoes. Shoes are dirty; hats don't do anything.

Discussion of hats is now officially off topic. I've already linked to existing threads for the discussion of when to remove or continue wearing hats. Use those threads to continue the discussion.

:offtopic:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

People who think it's clever to avoid the "no golf shoes" rule in the clubhouse restaurant/bar by removing their stinky, mould-smelling footwear at the entrance to then wander their putrid feet around getting food and drinks before sitting down to let the stench waft around the room while others are also trying to eat. If your feet don't smell that's fine but have the good grace to change into some other footwear to at least semi-hide the fact that you've not bought new footwear or socks in 6 years.

("etiquette" in general but happens to be worse when the person's walked miles for the last 4 hours)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Note: This thread is 3398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!