IGNORED

what forms of golf etiquette do you ignore and why?

tqcishark
Note: This thread is 3405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Discussion of hats is now officially off topic. I've already linked to existing threads for the discussion of when to remove or continue wearing hats. Use those threads to continue the discussion.

For those that missed it because it's a new page.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Seems to me it fits here perfectly well.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

For those that missed it because it's a new page.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't always stay behind the person w/ball furthest back in play - I walk ahead, but well out of sight and keep an eye out when person is about hit. Saves a lot of time, especially when you're not sure where your ball is, more time to look.

People standing close is the worst. It's okay if they're behind me and I can't see them, but right in front or to my right, I hate that - I let them know about it as tactfully as I can, but inside it really annoys me.

This is probably the etiquette "rule" I break most often.  But I'm very conscientious about not walking up to my ball anywhere where I'm in the way.  I'll typically walk up ahead way off the side even with my ball and make sure I'm well off the side, behind the tree line if there is one.

The second one I probably break more often than I should too, though not as regularly.  I'm usually pretty zoned in on the course and am almost never visually distracted, rarely audibly distracted.  I've had many people apologize to me after I hit a shot about some distraction they caused and I have no idea what they're talking about.  So honestly I'm probably not as vigilant in making sure I don't cause visual distractions for other players as I could be, just because it's never a problem I have.  I never make noise obviously, and I never stand where I could take a face on video or anything, and I of course also don't move when someone's hitting.  But I've probably annoyed a few players standing not exactly behind them (I mean to their rear, not on the target line away from the target!) or something on a shot here and there.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I don't know why you would think that there is anything wrong with this.  You aren't even required to lift your ball in the first place unless requested to do so.  Replacing it in preparation to play is perfectly fine as long as it isn't in someone's way.  I often just mark with the toe of my putter, quickly wipe off any dirt if necessary, then immediately replace it.  That's no breach of anything.

I had always marked the spot with my putter, mostly because I play alone a lot, and since its only me it made sense. Done it for years, and my regular group didn't seem to mind a bit.  I did it playing with a group of strangers last year and one of them made a smart comment like "got it where you want it?". I kind of raised my eyebrows at him, and he said I was lifting and placing incorrectly and needed to take a penalty stroke. I wasn't sure if he was right or not, and didn't have a clue where to look to make sure, so I just ignored it. At least now I know.

My wife has health issues so I keep my phone on so I can hear it.  If I am playing with other than my regular partners, who all know this, I tell my fellow players and I have yet to have anyone who seemed to care about it.

Same basic problem, and my regular playing partners don't care about any ring.  I deal with the phone differently when I'm with unfamiliar players, but if I need to be ready to take a call I will let people know, put the phone on vibrate and put the phone in my pocket.  In hindsight I think my phone bothered a guy once.  At the time I thought he was bothered because he owned a thousand dollar set of irons but couldn't make a shot or keep a ball in play.  Now I'm thinking it was my rudeness for taking one call.

I had always marked the spot with my putter, mostly because I play alone a lot, and since its only me it made sense. Done it for years, and my regular group didn't seem to mind a bit.  I did it playing with a group of strangers last year and one of them made a smart comment like "got it where you want it?". I kind of raised my eyebrows at him, and he said I was lifting and placing incorrectly and needed to take a penalty stroke. I wasn't sure if he was right or not, and didn't have a clue where to look to make sure, so I just ignored it. At least now I know.

There is nothing worse than a rules-nazi who doesn't know the rules.  Unless you were playing a match with the guy he has no business making any comment at all.  But even if you WERE playing a match with the guy he is completely wrong, and there is a Decision exactly on point:

20-1/16

Method Used to Mark Position of Ball

Q.The Note to Rule 20-1 provides that "the position of a ball to be lifted should be marked by placing a ball-marker, a small coin or other similar object immediately behind the ball." Is a player penalized if he uses an object that is not similar to a ball-marker or small coin to mark the position of his ball?

A.No. The provision in the Note to Rule 20-1 is a recommendation of best practice, but there is no penalty for failing to act in accordance with the Note.

Examples of methods of marking the position of a ball that are not recommended, but are permissible, are as follows:

placing the toe of a club at the side of, or behind, the ball;  (emphasis added)

using a tee;

using a loose impediment;

scratching a line, provided the putting green is not tested (Rule 16-1d) and a line for putting is not indicated (Rule 8-2b). As this practice may cause damage to the putting green, it is discouraged.

However, under Rule 20-1 it is necessary to physically mark the position of the ball. Reference to an existing mark on the ground does not constitute marking the position of a ball. For example, it is not permissible to mark the position with reference to a blemish on the putting green.

When moving a ball or ball-marker to the side to prevent it from interfering with another player's stance or stroke, the player may measure from the side of the ball or ball-marker. In order to accurately replace the ball on the spot from which it was lifted, the steps used to move the ball or ball-marker to the side should be reversed.

Not recommended, but permissible.  Pretty much says it all.  You were fine and he is wrong and, possibly, a jerk.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Discussion of hats is now officially off topic. I've already linked to existing threads for the discussion of when to remove or continue wearing hats. Use those threads to continue the discussion.

Well, the topic was "What forms of golf etiquette..."  We will, of course, obey your dictate.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator

Well, the topic was "What forms of golf etiquette..."  We will, of course, obey your dictate.

I disagree that discussion of when to wear hats is golf etiquette. There are plenty of "golf etiquette" things to discuss - where to stand, when to putt, etc. - that occur while playing golf, not while eating in a room at a golf course. Especially since we have threads for what to do while eating at a golf course. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The only etiquette rule that I have a habit of breaking came from playing in tournaments. Provided that you are not directly in a player's line of play or in another distracting location many of the players, including myself, at local junior tournaments will walk ahead quietly to our balls while another player is hitting behind us. This is simply to help with pace of play and facilitated by the fact that not many of the people playing will miss-hit a ball poorly enough for it to be a large safety concern provided you pay adequate attention. It happens in every group though and has become the norm in those situations, though I will occasionally catch myself walking ahead when playing practice rounds and will always wait up and stop unless my group is holding up the pace of play.

the first form of etiquette mentioned on the USGA list is safety, and the first item on the safety list got some airtime: "Players should ensure that no one is standing close by or in a position to be hit by the club, the ball or any stones, pebbles, twigs or the like when they make a stroke or practice swing."

My regular group walks and plays ready, which means our guys routinely get in front of the player who is away.  Occasionally, when I'm in front at an angle where one of my hacker friends could possibly hit me, I make sure to stop and watch the player strike his ball so, if he mishit in my direction, it would be my responsibility, not his, for me to avoid his errant ball.  Its a simple courtesy, which seems to be routinely honored by walking ready golfers, but its not in the USGA list.  This seems to be adequate mitigation of the safety rule.  But I admit, I routinely ignore what USGA wrote, and thats why.

Where I don't ignore the recommendation is when I'm taking a practice swing.  I do not take a practice swing in the direction of my playing partners.  I would like to say I never do it.  I do however see newbies and experienced golfers give this no thought.  If you're a reckless practice swinger, consider this piece of advice to be my xmas present to you.

My group is informal but courteous with regard to being quiet while others are making a stroke, avoiding putting lines, and sanding divots. Not everyone is as good about ball marks. I try to at least follow the practice of fix yours and one more, so that takes up some slack. My course recently put in sand boxes and sand bottles on the cart, so that has improved my divot awareness. We play ready golf, and really other than for organized tournaments, I see that as becoming the standard of etiquette through the green with the possible exception of on the putting surface. I really hate phones on the golf course, putting green, or driving range. I understand that there are true needs such as an infirmed or incapacitated dependent, physicians and other first responders on call. These people might really not be able to play otherwise. I understand having the phone with you but on silent in case of your own emergency.There are a few other legitimate needs to not have your phone on silent, but not many. I once got a call on the course from someone who needed something from me. I had the phone on silent by the way, but I do check for messages occasionally. I only had a hole left to play, but I left and took care of the issue. The person had had all day, but they made their lack of planning my emergency. They were in a bind, so I helped them out. The point is not what a great guy (or sucker) I am, but that really the information age has everyone in a right now mode. The definition of emergency has expanded to mean anything I want right now. If there is a customer whose needs are so great that one needs his phone on at the golf course, perhaps there would be a better time to play. A couple of years ago, I replaced the axle on my Z-71 in the parking lot of a convenience store, deftly getting my man card and my redneck endorsement renewed in one glorious event. I say that to say I am not stiff necked nor a slave to decorum, but still there are certain standards of behaviour that should be upheld, and common courtesy is one. Sadly, the lack of manners has become the norm, and this attitude has crept into one of the last bastions of politeness, the golf course. Sorry for the diatribe; soapbox stowed. Carry on.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

A couple of years ago, I replaced the axle on my Z-71 in the parking lot of a convenience store, deftly getting my man card and my redneck endorsement renewed in one glorious event.

the fact that you own a z-71 proves that you are both a man and a redneck, albeit a well-spoken (written?) one at that... :beer:

Colin P.

• 1 year later...

With regard to wearing or not wearing hats - I think if I happened to be wearing one, I'd probably remove it when shaking hands, but I wouldn't be upset if somebody else didn't. The post on socks really gets me going: I have refused to play at clubs with what I regard as an exaggerated dress code, including a "white socks only" rule (and they had to be knee-high as well). Equally, I don't care which way round someone wears their cap - if the sun is beating down, the last thing you want is to burn your neck. If some of the best tennis players in the world can wear their caps backwards, who's to say it is unacceptable on a golf course? Don't get me wrong: I appreciate that some minimal degree of dress code may be necessary (though I am yet to be persuaded that wearing certain clothes makes someone a better person), I just think that excessive stress on this is one of the things driving younger people away from the game.

I don't usually where a hat, but yes I see quite a few times players do not remove theirs at the conclusion of play, and some cases do not shake hands either.To me it doesn't really bother me, I see as an older tradition from a time when gentleman wore hats all the time.

If I'm in my regular group, we don't shake hands on the 18th green. If there's strangers involved, always.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

I am not bashful at anything I do. However, my first inclination is to also be courteous at anything I do. When golfing I tend to let the other golfers do what they want, as long as their actions don't mess up my own game. I am usually walking and most time, and I am usually off by myself as it is. That, and  I like watching other golfers play the game. They can have all the honors they want, even those they have not earned. They can even skirt the rules if they want. That's my own golf etiquette. All of us having a good time is paramount.

Now should a golfer I am paired with, decides to be a smart ass, or in some other way wants to mess with mine, or others'  games, then it's game on, and I will throw etiquette to the windy four corners. I will play my own game as if I were a single, and let the butt head fend for himself.

As for taking my hat off while shaking hands at the end of the round, that's just a habit I have. It's a shows respect for the other players, and the game itself.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I play ready golf, but typically observe honors on the tee unless the group doesn't give a rats a$$. I never take my hat off on the 18th green and typically not in the club house. I wear a bucket hat and I do move it toward the back of my head when indoors. I have long hippie like hair (more Beatles like actually) so it looks pretty gnarly after a round of golf. At 57 I'm still lucky enough to have my hair. I'm waiting for a comeback! I shake my head at kids these days who keep their hair so short they like they just got out of boot camp. Easier to wash I guess. All other etiquette I think I observe. I limit belching and farting to when others are not swinging. It's a gentleman's game, after all. I don't know if this is etiquette or a peeve, but I don't like people standing (and especially moving) where I can see them during any of my swings. A round last week I had to repeatedly tell a guy not to stand behind me on the tee box. I do it nicely. Another round I had a guy that was moving during my swing and I could see his shadow. I lose focus and usually mishit the shot. Another guy was always standing on the other side of the hole on my line when I was putting. I don't know how many times I had to back off. And he was a good golfer. He should have known better. I play a lot with strangers. Most are no problem. I've had a couple that I've told I'm going ahead of you (or behind) because they were too rude and distracting. That's why I don't carry a gun on the course. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I'll recently hit some wedges from around the tee box while waiting for the group ahead to get out of the way.  I was trying to get some distances for 1/2 and 3/4 swings.  Not sure if that is bad etiquette.

Note: This thread is 3405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!