IGNORED

what forms of golf etiquette do you ignore and why?

tqcishark
Note: This thread is 3378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ball goes in back pocket, reach up and take off your hat with your left hand and then tuck your putter under your left armpit and across your left forearm with your right hand....then your right hand is free to shake hands.  It is not all that hard to do...seriously...it is not.  As clutzy as I am, I've been able to pull it off ever since I started wearing hats to play golf.

Thanks – I'm actually going to practice that a time or two over these next couple of rainy days.

John

Once in the 1980’s I awaited a scheduled meeting with a principal at a Taiwanese manufacturing plant. In the waiting room, with several other visitors, including women, a urinal against the wall, reminiscent of a Marcel Duchamp sculpture befitting a Parisian gallery, seemed oddly out-of-place.  Betimes, a door opened into the room from the adjacent shop floor, and a worker entered and relieved himself in stark view of everybody present.

This is an example of convenience trumping decorum; after all why occupy two rooms when you can use one for dual purposes, which I think the spirit of golf resists in recognition of an attendant need, albeit residual, atavistic, and often neglected, for manners.

Ball goes in back pocket, reach up and take off your hat with your left hand and then tuck your putter under your left armpit and across your left forearm with your right hand....then your right hand is free to shake hands.  It is not all that hard to do...seriously...it is not.  As clutzy as I am, I've been able to pull it off ever since I started wearing hats to play golf.

The putter isn't a problem. I just threw it in the nearest sand trap.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The putter isn't a problem. I just threw it in the nearest sand trap.

The pond was too far?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Take off the hat when shaking hands at 18th hole?

Maybe it I'm playing in a pro tournament with a caddie or at a nice club with caddies. I could probably manage this. But if I'm playing without a valet (AKA caddie),  if I have a putter and my ball in my left hand, and shake with my right, what am I supposed to do with my hat?

As for hats inside the clubhouse... if it's at the turn, snackbar space is limited, and is there room to put your hat down? Do you want to give someone a chance to splash beer on it?

After the round, I switch out of golf shoes and probably leave my hat in the car. Mid-round and post-round are different conditions.

Yet thousands, nay millions, of golfers have managed to perfect this little maneuver without any apparent difficulty.  I mean, if you don;t want to do it, don;t do it.  But to claim some kind of physical impossibility for something that people do all the time is just a little, well, something.

When we were in Venice walking down the sidewalk, a guy just walked over and whipped it out and relieved himself in the canal right in front of my wife and me.  Sorry but if that's a cultural standard, I want no part of it.

That is the thing about cultural differences.  One person's "normal" is another person's "outrageous".  I suspect that had you been born in Venice you would not have found the incident out of the ordinary or offensive.  But as a fellow American-born, I certainly would agree with your position and I would not personally take part in that particular cultural norm.  But I wouldn't have the same thoughts about the Venetian's actions it as I would if someone did the same thing in my own town.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Sorry for the lack of etiquette with my bold print reply, hope it didn't offend anyone lol

No worries, it was likely an accident and doesn't matter regardless. I wad just giving you a heads up in case the bold box got checked and you hadn't noticed.

My buddy is SUPER slow and its really frustrating when groups are behind us. I almost just play like hes not even there. On the flipside, i use the ball wash machine more frequently than i should. Is that wrong?

Matt - "I am very happy to be here!"

I can't remember the last time I used a ball wash machine.  I usually wet a portion of a towel and carry it to the green to clean my ball before I putt.  I don't know if that has anything to do with etiquette, but it works for me!

Robert Spann

:ping: :adidas: :adams: :leupold: :nike: :srixon: :nickent:

I can't remember the last time I used a ball wash machine.  I usually wet a portion of a towel and carry it to the green to clean my ball before I putt.  I don't know if that has anything to do with etiquette, but it works for me!

I rarely clean my ball before putting, aside from brushing off anything adhering to it, but I do clean it with my damp towel between holes.  If I have any pet peeve, it's the guy who decides to start pumping the ball cleaner as I'm starting my backswing on the tee.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

This is what I, and most players in high school level tournaments, do. I don't like looking at grass stains on my ball when I putt, but it doesn't bother me on any other shot for some reason. I would assume it's because I line up the alignment aid on my ball when I putt.

I rarely clean my ball before putting, aside from brushing off anything adhering to it, but I do clean it with my damp towel between holes.  If I have any pet peeve, it's the guy who decides to start pumping the ball cleaner as I'm starting my backswing on the tee.

The damp towel also helps prevent this situation. Since I cleaned my ball before I putted I never have to clean it on the teebox afterwords.

Ready golf at the tees, we always do even if a guy gets a par or birdie etc.....we're all out there for fun and it also speeds things up imho....

Note: This thread is 3378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!