IGNORED

Gut feelings on Tiger's play...

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 3778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Call me weird but it seems like I get a gut feeling every time Tiger misses these game changing putts. I didn't even need to watch. Am I the only one?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get that feeling when I see him rushing the current putt because he's annoyed he missed the previous one and just wants to get off the green.

Joe Paradiso

I don't know other than the ball not going in he pretty much had it, about half the ball was in the cup as it lipped out. I expected him to make that. Bad luck as much as anything.

Dave :-)

I don't know other than the ball not going in he pretty much had it, about half the ball was in the cup as it lipped out. I expected him to make that. Bad luck as much as anything.

Too much speed ... that ball lipped and ran 4 feet past the hole.

Some guy named Brandel, after kissing Tiger in the morning analysis, commented that today, Tiger was left and right again.

Inconsistency ... it even affects the #1 or #2 player of all time

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Maybe, but there is a certain "feel" to the rounds when he ash cans them like this. I am not saying it was an easy putt at all but there is something about his body language or situation that just says "this will be missed".

Maybe, but there is a certain "feel" to the rounds when he ash cans them like this. I am not saying it was an easy putt at all but there is something about his body language or situation that just says "this will be missed".

My interpretation is we are seeing Tiger begin the mature phase of his career. I remember Jack (I think it was Jack) saying that as he got older the putts on the edges drop less often and bounces and breaks did not go his way as often so it just gets harder and harder to win.

I think it is compelling stuff to watch. Seems like not very long ago some were prognosticating the demise of Tiger so it was good stuff watching him climb back to #1. I'm very interested to see how he reacts to this seeming "loss of mastery in the most critical situations". Thing is this idea may only exist in my mind, to Tiger it may not even exist, who can know the mind of another?

Mike

For a golfer of his caliber, that was a pretty bad putt, not really bad luck. If it had been a 15 foot putt, and he was off by the same margin, he would have been at least a foot wide and a lot long, and nobody would call that a good putt. I am not saying I would have made it, but I am not Tiger. A few years ago that would have been a foregone conclusion. I do think he is headed in the right direction, and the old Tiger was certainly evident in the 62. But I do think that M2R has a point, and that Tiger may be entering a mature phase of his career. Still , he is Tiger, and Jack was quite dangerous in his "mature phase".

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Missing putts like these, which he has been doing with regularity the past few years, is why it is now much more difficult for him to win a major championship. Not to say he won't, but one of the reasons he has won so many is that before, he NEVER missed these putts. You know how ten years ago you knew the ball was going in the hole before he even took the club away? Now you are equally certain it won't.

The way his ball striking is or was the last two tourney's its not if he will win another major its when. To me it looks like he's hitting his irons better than early in the year even when he won.

The way his ball striking is or was the last two tourney's its not if he will win another major its when. To me it looks like he's hitting his irons better than early in the year even when he won.

i agree.

however, to the OPs point, i too can tell.  i can tell as soon as i see him line up.  i dont know what it is, but i sense it, like a tigersixthsense.

Colin P.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakester23

i agree.

however, to the OPs point, i too can tell.  i can tell as soon as i see him line up.  i dont know what it is, but i sense it, like a tigersixthsense.

It looked exactly like a time when he missed one in, I believe the masters a few years ago...  I am glad I am not the only one that sees it. It is weird. It sticks out like a sore thumb when it happens.

Just to clarify the first line in my other post concerning bounces and breaks was more about Zach Johnson holing out on the 18th for par. Breaks and bounces don't have to be your own, ask Greg Norman. I don't think there is any analysis or explanation, stuff happens. But in the prime Tiger days I would not have been at all surprised for the Northwestern Mutual to end with Zach making GIR par and Tiger holing the bunker shot for a win, now it seems the tables are turned.

My second line about "loss of mastery in the most critical situations" was about Tiger's final putt, and the other similar situations that seem to form a pattern. At first I just thought no problem Tiger just needs time to work it out. That might still be exactly right, however it is starting to look like a real situation to me and why I think it is so compelling to see how he will respond.

Mike

I disagree a little M2r. I think the finish at the players in 2013 kinda made me believe he's still very clutch. He was me hitting many draws and went draw with driver (turning towards water) draw approach shot (also towards water). Obviously Sergio did what he did but I think that was a critical situation where he preformed well.

I don't think that Tiger isn't clutch but there are moments where there is a change in his game that is just slight but obvious change in body language. I can't put my finger on it but I have seen it quite often the last 3 years.

Fact is players aren't as intimidated by Tiger these days.  When you put any player under pressure they will make mistakes and Tiger these days is being put under pressure more regularly.  As Yang, G-Mac, Lefty and Zach have proved over recent seasons, in head-to-head situations Tiger can be beaten in a close finish going down the stretch.

Fact is players aren't as intimidated by Tiger these days.  When you put any player under pressure they will make mistakes and Tiger these days is being put under pressure more regularly.  As Yang, G-Mac, Lefty and Zach have proved over recent seasons, in head-to-head situations Tiger can be beaten in a close finish going down the stretch.

This really doesn't pertain to the topic.  Tiger lost this on his own and Zach deserved the win. The topic is about Tiger's change of energy or demeanor that resonates, even through television coverage.

Note: This thread is 3778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!