IGNORED

My Swing (KyleAnthony)

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post

The thing that makes drills and practice fun for me is the results. I like completing the drills successfully. I know I don't do them successfully more than 2% but I like working for more and more good results

Just be careful that you're being honest with yourself.  A lot of people say this:

Quote:

I like working for more and more good results

But they really mean this:

Quote:

I like working for more and more good results

It's just like exercising to lose weight for a lot of people.  If you haven't done it in awhile, and are overweight enough, the first week or two will be fantastic.  You'll lose ten pounds just like that.  You'll be gung ho as heck about working out, but if you're honest with yourself, you're not gung-ho about working out, you're ONLY gung-ho about losing weight.  Two weeks later, and all of a sudden you only lose 1 pound that week, or three weeks later you don't lose any ... now how much do you llike working out?  Most people are like "eff that, why should I bother if it's not going to work anymore?"  And so the cycle continues.

It cannot be stressed enough that if you want to improve, you will focus little on your results as you go, and instead trust in your work and your teachers and keep, keep, keep at it.

• Upvote 4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just be careful that you're being honest with yourself.  A lot of people say this:

But they really mean this:

It's just like exercising to lose weight for a lot of people.  If you haven't done it in awhile, and are overweight enough, the first week or two will be fantastic.  You'll lose ten pounds just like that.  You'll be gung ho as heck about working out, but if you're honest with yourself, you're not gung-ho about working out, you're ONLY gung-ho about losing weight.  Two weeks later, and all of a sudden you only lose 1 pound that week, or three weeks later you don't lose any ... now how much do you llike working out?  Most people are like "eff that, why should I bother if it's not going to work anymore?"  And so the cycle continues.

It cannot be stressed enough that if you want to improve, you will focus little on your results as you go, and instead trust in your work and your teachers and keep, keep, keep at it.

I like this^^^^ very well said GD....

But we all like results!  Right now I deal with this by essentially defining results down.  The result isn't, "Did I shoot 72-75?"  It's more like, I'm working on achieving X in my swing right now instead of Y.  So my result is, "Did I achieve X in any of the many swings I filmed in this practice session?"  Or once that's achieved, then can I do it 1/2 the time?  Or if I'm achieving X most of the time, did I figure out a feel that lets if be more natural or automatic and less forced?

Small goals! Drop 10 strokes or lose 50 pounds as the only goal you have in mind is just gonna lead to frustration and loss of motivation, like you said.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

i think everyone works for good results. if there is no reward at the end then there is no motivation for anything. the results i like army shot doing what i want. i don't get good results all the time, in fact i get more bad results than good haha. but the good results i get i am very happy with. i'd like to compare golf drills to blackjack. sometimes you lose, sometimes you push, sometimes you win, and sometimes you get black jack. losing is obviously not getting the results you want, pushing is your normal miss, winning is a good result, and blackjack is a perfect result. but with my analogy i have no blackjacks hahaha

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

• Administrator
The thing that makes drills and practice fun for me is the results. I like completing the drills successfully. I know I don't do them successfully more than 2% but I like working for more and more good results

So you win 2% of the time?

You need to be practicing at a speed and length where you "win" 75% of the time or more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

WTF does that even mean?-If you are taking full swings or hitting balls at full speed you are just further ingraining your old swing and not working on your new stuff at all.-Not one bit. You may as well have taken your time and money and flushed it down the drain instead of taking a lesson.[quote name="KyleAnthony" url="/t/71448/my-swing-kyleanthony/180#post_967934"]i think everyone works for good results. if there is no reward at the end then there is no motivation for anything. the results i like army shot doing what i want. i don't get good results all the time, in fact i get more bad results than good haha. but the good results i get i am very happy with. i'd like to compare golf drills to blackjack. sometimes you lose, sometimes you push, sometimes you win, and sometimes you get black jack. losing is obviously not getting the results you want, pushing is your normal miss, winning is a good result, and blackjack is a perfect result. but with my analogy i have no blackjacks hahaha [/quote] Then again at least Mike got a little money out of it.-But you stills asted your time if you are practicing the wrong way.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

So you win 2% of the time?

You need to be practicing at a speed and length where you "win" 75% of the time or more.

i try but my drills are mostly straight draws I'm still working on getting everything right

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

• Administrator
i try but my drills are mostly straight draws I'm still working on getting everything right

Kyle, just help everyone understand: could you describe how you practice lately? Say you have 50 balls to hit. What do you do with them?

The "blackjack" comments are a little odd. I don't think anyone knows what you mean by those.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Kyle, just help everyone understand: could you describe how you practice lately? Say you have 50 balls to hit. What do you do with them?

well the first half i would do the drill mike and dana taught me. i take the club back to parallel to the ground. check face angle, then take it back a little more. bow my wrist and then swing. after that. mike or dana said someone else practices by doing 2 drills then one full swing. so i do that for the last bit. i think the drills help mold my swing into what it should be and i do a full swing after 2 drills toward the end so i apply the drill to a full swing. so far i have change my ball flight from fades and slices to draws and the occasional hook.

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

i think everyone works for good results. if there is no reward at the end then there is no motivation for anything. the results i like army shot doing what i want. i don't get good results all the time, in fact i get more bad results than good haha. but the good results i get i am very happy with. i'd like to compare golf drills to blackjack. sometimes you lose, sometimes you push, sometimes you win, and sometimes you get black jack. losing is obviously not getting the results you want, pushing is your normal miss, winning is a good result, and blackjack is a perfect result. but with my analogy i have no blackjacks hahaha

Well you were getting blackjack a lot on the day of your lesson ;-)

For now, when you do your slow drills, the "win" or the "blackjack" is more about doing the drill properly than how you hit it. I know it can be boring to hit 50 yard draws over and over again but that's how you change things. Not saying you can make some full speed swings when you practice but the reward for the drill swings is that you're changing the picture.

well the first half i would do the drill mike and dana taught me. i take the club back to parallel to the ground. check face angle, then take it back a little more. bow my wrist and then swing. after that. mike or dana said someone else practices by doing 2 drills then one full swing. so i do that for the last bit. i think the drills help mold my swing into what it should be and i do a full swing after 2 drills toward the end so i apply the drill to a full swing. so far i have change my ball flight from fades and slices to draws and the occasional hook.

Yeah keep doing that. Be sure to record the drill swings to make sure you're doing you pieces right, or post up a couple drill swings.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Well you were getting blackjack a lot on the day of your lesson

For now, when you do your slow drills, the "win" or the "blackjack" is more about doing the drill properly than how you hit it. I know it can be boring to hit 50 yard draws over and over again but that's how you change things. Not saying you can make some full speed swings when you practice but the reward for the drill swings is that you're changing the picture.

Yeah keep doing that. Be sure to record the drill swings to make sure you're doing you pieces right, or post up a couple drill swings.

thank you. ya when i hit the range and do my drills I'm getting the same results as when we had the lessons except better contact haha. i'll be hitting the range tomorrow and take some short videos on my drills and 1 full swing

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

• Administrator

That seems fine.

Your posts about "succeeding" 2% led many, myself included, to think you were doing something quite differently. Especially since you posted video of two full-speed, full-length swings.

That seems fine.

Your posts about "succeeding" 2% led many, myself included, to think you were doing something quite differently. Especially since you posted video of two full-speed, full-length swings.

maybe my success term is a little hard on myself and unrealistic.

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

• 2 weeks later...

maybe my success term is a little hard on myself and unrealistic.

I feel the same way.. I set my standards so high that sometimes they are on the edge of or fall of the edge of unrealistic!

I think I have just finally come to the realization that changing the picture is darn hard, and I have been playing bad golf because of my bad swing for the past two years, now I can't expect that I'm going to get better in one week?

I have been working on just steady head for the past 2 months..  go figure!

Also, you know what has helped me is working a little with my pitching technique.. I found out that I had my own made up structure and method that just doesn't work.. After just a couple online lessons it is still not perfect, but I am much better than I was before, no mishits and some good trajectory, next up for me is learning that when i am going for the hole I don't want to land the ball at the hole, but before (way before) the hole so that it can role there.. That will come in time!!

I suggest you post some of your pitching videos on here and see what everyone thinks!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Ok so i had some issues with my memory card reader on my laptop and while importing it ejected the card or something any who i only got 1 video to load the others won't load now. its a full swing so here it

is

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

so one thing i noticed after watching is my weight is not transferring forward at all haha. so thats one thing thats way off

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

• Administrator

so one thing i noticed after watching is my weight is not transferring forward at all haha. so thats one thing thats way off

@KyleAnthony , you're going to have the same priority piece basically for a full year. It's highly unlikely that you'll have a different priority piece than the one @mvmac gave you any time before 2015.

It's even less likely to happen if you insist on making so many full swings on the course and not being diligent about the simple things that take almost no skill (like your setup position):

Just a terrible setup position on the right. Sorry, just being honest. Stop doing that right away. Go back to your lesson with @mvmac and look at your posture there. There's a picture there that Mike made for you which is great and should be consulted.

You can do this stuff at home too. Setting up properly is not an athletic move. Anyone can do it if they simply know what to do.

@KyleAnthony, you're going to have the same priority piece basically for a full year. It's highly unlikely that you'll have a different priority piece than the one @mvmac gave you any time before 2015.

It's even less likely to happen if you insist on making so many full swings on the course and not being diligent about the simple things that take almost no skill (like your setup position):

Just a terrible setup position on the right. Sorry, just being honest. Stop doing that right away. Go back to your lesson with @mvmac and look at your posture there. There's a picture there that Mike made for you which is great and should be consulted.

You can do this stuff at home too. Setting up properly is not an athletic move. Anyone can do it if they simply know what to do.

thank you. i will put the pics @mvmac posted on my phone so i will have the with me for reference at the range. also as far as the setup position a more relaxed position would be better than a straighter position?

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Note: This thread is 3657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!