IGNORED

Lob Wedge - Is it only useful in expert hands?

Skenny
Note: This thread is 3665 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just got my first lob wedge. Historically, short irons have been the least crappy part of my game, but I can't strike the ball cleanly with this wedge. Seems the flat angle does away with potential ball-contacting surface.It's like paddling a boat with a machete. Does a 30 handicapper have any business with one in the bag? Thanks for feedback.

I think the lob wedge is the most useful club in the bag it's the heaviest and the most versatile. You just need to learn to hit ball first then the ground. Your hands must be ahead of ball at impact. When I first started playing golf I remember struggling with the lob wedge to start I played it off my back foot to encourage a descending blow and played it with an open stance to make it go straight. Try that and as you get better at staying ahead of it with your hands you can move the ball a little more forward.

I bought a 62* lob this year, I'm a 19 hc, bought it for those tricky shots over hazards with not much green to play with, takes a while to get used to such a high loft, I tried using it often from 60 yards in and often with disastrous results, but now I only use it for what I bought it for with great results, flopping it over bunkers and sticking it to the green, I may not use it for 3 rounds then I might use it 3 times in a round, it's a useful tool to have if there's room in your bag!

Gaz Lee

As soon as I could hit an iron with some consistency, I bought a 60* wedge.After seeing Phil hit those cool flop shots, I went to the range and began practicing hitting the same shots for weeks. Once I could hit them pretty good, we'd have contests to see who could hit the highest flop shot, and be able to catch it.

IMHO a 60* can be a stoke saver IF you learn to use it accordingly..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just got my first lob wedge. Historically, short irons have been the least crappy part of my game, but I can't strike the ball cleanly with this wedge. Seems the flat angle does away with potential ball-contacting surface.It's like paddling a boat with a machete. Does a 30 handicapper have any business with one in the bag? Thanks for feedback.

Are you talking about full shots or pitches around the greens?

It really depends on what your loft gaps are, if you can fit in a lob wedge then it can't hurt to have it in the bag but I don't think you "have to" have one.

I think the lob wedge is the most useful club in the bag it's the heaviest and the most versatile. You just need to learn to hit ball first then the ground. Your hands must be ahead of ball at impact. When I first started playing golf I remember struggling with the lob wedge to start I played it off my back foot to encourage a descending blow and played it with an open stance to make it go straight. Try that and as you get better at staying ahead of it with your hands you can move the ball a little more forward.

Agree on full shots handle should be forward but you rarely hit a full lob wedge.  The pitching motion is going to be different than the full swing, don't want handle lean for those shots.  Even a 3/4 swing with a sand/lob wedge will resemble more of a "pitchy" motion.  Bounce is your friend.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I disagree with the concept that you need to reach a certain skill level in order to "qualify" to carry a certain club. Whether it's a 60 degree lob wedge, a 2-iron or anything in between, if you've got room in your bag and you feel confident over it then by all means you should carry it!

For me personally, I never quite felt like I could control the distance on a 60 degree wedge. I'm far more confident with my 56, and I don't feel like I lose much in terms of versatility, so I dropped my lob wedge a long time ago and haven't missed it.

I love my 60 degree wedge.  Full swings, steeper pitches and steeper/shorter sandies.  It gives me a lot more options.

And I'm a hack.

Bill - 

I'm no expert.

My understanding is that a 60 degree lob wedge is difficult not because you can't hit a lob with it, but because it's hard to control the distance.

Some instructors recommend a 58 degree wedge instead because it's easier to control the distance of the shot. That's what I have and I am quite happy with it.

I only carry my lob wedge when I'm really playing my best golf or on certain courses that are likely to require a lot of very soft but very high flop shots off of very tight lies (which is not very many among the courses I play).

Under most circumstances anything I can do with a lob wedge I can also do with a sand wedge.

When the lob wedge is in the bag the 5 wood is out. For me it's probably more that I have to take a club I always hit very well out of the bag and put a club that I don't always hit very well in the bag.

I use my 58 for anything from pitches and chips to lob shots and full shots.  Very versatile club.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The lob wedge is just like any other club: you need to practice with it order to figure out how to use it properly.  Im a 20ish handicap and my lob wedge is one of my favorite clubs because its so versatile and useful for short little shots around the green.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I disagree with the concept that you need to reach a certain skill level in order to "qualify" to carry a certain club. Whether it's a 60 degree lob wedge, a 2-iron or anything in between, if you've got room in your bag and you feel confident over it then by all means you should carry it!

For me personally, I never quite felt like I could control the distance on a 60 degree wedge. I'm far more confident with my 56, and I don't feel like I lose much in terms of versatility, so I dropped my lob wedge a long time ago and haven't missed it.

I completely agree, I could never hit a 60, and I worked and worked at it, but it just never fit my swing and short game.  IMHO, you should match up the lofts with what you see in your minds eye, personally, I see me standing next to the ball and tossing it underhand, so I play 95% of my chips and pitches with a 52 and my 56 is mostly for green side sand bunkers.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I love my 60 degree wedge.  Full swings, steeper pitches and steeper/shorter sandies.  It gives me a lot more options.

And I'm a hack.

Ditto here

I'm the outlier.....

I think that while a lob wedge is an extremely valuable tool in the hands of a player with the skills to use it, the average mid-to-high hcp player will lose more shots over the course of a season as a result of having it in his bag than he'll save.  The tendency is to remember the good shots, and forget the chunks, and blades, and fluffs though.

I'll also add, that having "more options" (most of which are seldom practiced) isn't necessarily a recipe for success either.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Used to carry a 60* but just never liked it that much, felt it forced me into hitting flops, I like using a 58* instead and can still hit the same flop shots if necessary.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I'm the outlier.....

I think that while a lob wedge is an extremely valuable tool in the hands of a player with the skills to use it, the average mid-to-high hcp player will lose more shots over the course of a season as a result of having it in his bag than he'll save.  The tendency is to remember the good shots, and forget the chunks, and blades, and fluffs though.

I'll also add, that having "more options" (most of which are seldom practiced) isn't necessarily a recipe for success either.....

I think it comes down to shot selection more than anything. I've been using a 60* for probably 15 years and it's a strength of my game. But even I don't try to hit flop shots off of a soggy tight lie. Many higher handicappers have this misconception that a 60* is a miracle club and anything is possible. But honestly, I don't think a 60 is any harder to hit than a 56 (at least not an appreciable difference). The key to learning to effectively use a 60* is not in the physics of actually hitting it, but in knowing when to leave it in the bag.

Tyler Martin

Why would they lose more shots, do you think the lob wedge "encourages" them to play shots they shouldn't be playing?  Like flop shots or something?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3665 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!