• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2018 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
    • I've found a few discussions online about using half sets or minimalist golf setups but I can't find anything current. I'd like to hear from anyone still going down this route.  I always walk and carry when I play and I've always been intrigued by playing far less clubs than the 14 allowed. Now I don't hold a handicap. My scores can vary between finishing a round 4 over par on a good day and 10/12 over is the norm. I've decided for this year I will only carry 8 clubs. 4 clubs in my bag will always stay the same and they are putter, sand wedge, driver (much more accurate for me than a fairway wood and fairway wood from the deck was one of the reasons that got me started on the golf bag diet). Last club that will always stay is my Titleist 913hd 2 hybrid because quite simply I think it is one of the best clubs ever made, can't get across how much I love this club, never lets me down. The following 4 clubs will be 4,6,8 irons and PW or 5,7,9 and 50 degree gap wedge probably alternate between them every couple of weeks and see over time if the is a particular club that I miss or any clubs I don't think are worth bagging.  Interested to hear from others on this topic. I'm someone that can suffer from paralysis from analysis so a simplified golf bag I think will allow me/ force me to just get out there and play the game I love. 
    • He must be feeling good now. Playing at home in Florida, being close to the top of the leaderboard, being able to grind out pars, pick up a few birdies. Especially in the wind. If I've learned anything it's that wind can quickly make your bad shots terrible. If you're not able to control the ball flight and be able to play with the wind, you'll have a tough time. He's playing pretty good. Even said he was happy with being able to control the traj.  Winds will still be up to 10-15 mph today, so pars will be good. Only 13 players shooting red numbers yesterday.
    • I have been following Paul Wilson for a little while and I can honestly say that I am playing the most consistent golf I have ever. I am regularly mid to late 90's on my local tough course and have shot in the 80's on other easier courses. I don't have the effortless swing all the time but you when you do you know exactly what he is talking about. I only get to play once a fortnight so my scores although not great for some people feel really good to me. I can have an enjoyable game safe in the knowledge that constant poor contact and slicing out of bounds are a thing of the past. Also when I come of the course my body is not aching,that alone makes it feel pretty effortless to me.
    • I can break 90, on a good day, with a 7W, 7I, and a wedge. I'd putt with my 7W. I have done this alot in 3 club tournaments. Lots of 86-88 scores. I have no  reason  disagree with the OP's 160 yard scenario.  I read some where that on a 6600 yard course, using a 140 yard club, and a putter, a golfer could break 90. The article used the number 86 for strokes. They then subtracted 36 putts from 86, leaving 50 strokes to get to the green. 6600 yards, divided by the 50 strokes equaled the 140 yard club.  The article went on to say, any putting strokes below the total of 36, we're added to the tee to green strokes. The key was to be a par putter or better.  So, using a well controlled, 160 yard club off the tee would be even better I would guess.  Sounds like something I might try, just for fun. 
    • Erik, I promise I'm not spamming. I just am looking for some discussion. Hi, TST Universe. Now this is a bit of an odd one. The YouTuber in this video, GolfSidekick, states anyone can break 90 with the following formula: (it's also at the end of the video) 1. A club you can consistently hit 160 yards or more off the tee and keep out of trouble. (Use this club off the tee on par-4s and par 5s) 2. Two clubs you confidently can hit on the green from inside of 150 yards. 3. One wedge to chip with 4. One club to hit 30-70 yard pitch shots with (though you want to avoid these shots) 5. When you chip, don't worry about getting very close to the hole, just get it on the green. 6. Keep your head down forever on short putts and consistently two-putt. 7. Break all long approaches into two shorter shots... (i.e. if you have 220 yards hit a 120 yard shot and a 100 yard shot) I am not in the 90-100 club right now. But it makes some sense. It's kind of LSW (sort of). Kind of stay out of trouble and you'll score better. Matt (GolfSidekick) is obviously a better player than what he's demonstrating... But it has some merit.  Like I stated before, I'm not in this range (though I still sometimes shoot in the 90s).  Let the debate again... The video is a little long, so feel free to skip around or watch just a few holes.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. bluebaws82
      bluebaws82
      (36 years old)
    2. g30rg35m1th
      g30rg35m1th
      (18 years old)
    3. Otis2014
      Otis2014
      (55 years old)
    4. Phil Marsh
      Phil Marsh
      (47 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...