IGNORED

Just one tip you'd pass on to a beginner...?

sooper8
Note: This thread is 3730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've hit balls in the past and tinkered around somewhat,played a few 9 holes but consider myself a novice and beginner...although I play many other sports pretty well but not competitively anymore.

So, if you could pass on just one (preferably simple) tip to a beginner like myself, what would it be?

(and I guess a number of you will say, 'get lessons' , and I understand why you'd say this - but can I ask that you pass on your words of wisdom instead...?)

Thanks in advance

Look up a 5 key's instructor and take a lesson

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of 3 - flip a coin

Start investing as early as you can in your career.

Learn how to network.

Whatever your current marital status is now, don't change it.

Bill - 

No, don't just get lessons. Get lessons from someone who really knows what he/she is doing. Find that person, golf is much easier, relatively.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Don't stop to tie your shoes in a revolving door.

On the backswing try to point your lead shoulder at the ball.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Don't stand by a mud hole on the side of the road on a rainy day.

Enjoy the game. Don't get so wrapped up in improving that you start to hate the game. I would rather be a happy hacker than a pissed off scratch player.

Tyler Martin

Cannot stress enough how important it is to have your weight forward at impact.  This accompanying drill: http://thesandtrap.com/t/35686/eriks-hips-forward-pre-set-drill-video/0_30#post_458570 will likely help you understand exactly what crisp and solid contact is suppsed to feel like.

Also, don't eat yellow snow.

s

w

i

n

g

e

a

s

y

... and let the club do the work - pure contact with a smooth swing will give far more distance and accuracy than trying to muscle the ball due to overswinging.   It's the hardest thing for beginners to do - everyone naturally thinks they have to swing hard to hit the ball a long ways.  Golf is about hitting a little white ball perfectly on the club face - which for all but the elite golfers rarely can be done when swinging truly hard

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

There's nothing wrong with playing bad golf, quickly.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Don't swing AT the ball from the top of the back swing. Let it fall and then let it rip.

That's a good one.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

s

w

i

n

g

e

a

s

y

... and let the club do the work - pure contact with a smooth swing will give far more distance and accuracy than trying to muscle the ball due to overswinging.   It's the hardest thing for beginners to do - everyone naturally thinks they have to swing hard to hit the ball a long ways.  Golf is about hitting a little white ball perfectly on the club face - which for all but the elite golfers rarely can be done when swinging truly hard

This^^^ The instance you try to swing hard, you tense up and plenty of bad things happen.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Note: This thread is 3730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!