IGNORED

Looking for some good drills for this specific issue

Note: This thread is 3744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey folks,

I have been struggling with consistency on the driver.  The good news is that I know what I'm doing wrong and generally have the same miss every time (varying degrees of smother hook, snap hook or just gentle hook).  My problem is not firing the hips and just swinging with my arms.  I'm getting really good results when I'm able to get the sequencing right but the hook always sneaks back in when I'm tired, not sufficiently loose, or just not paying enough attention.  I would like to find some more drills that people have found helpful for clearing the hips.  one that my pro gave me that worked really well is simple lining up way too close to the ball for practice swings.  The only way to hit it is to get your hips aggressively out of the way.  That has helped a lot but would appreciate other suggestions for this specific move.  Especially things I can do indoors or without hitting a ball to try and groove the muscle memory.

thanks in advance!

Could be you are not getting your weight shift timed properly.

One drill I can think of would be varying your stance width.

Start with feet closer together (8" apart) and increase distance gradually.

Make a few practice swings to feel your balance in this drill.

Use slower controlled swings arcs (3/4) to start, and increase swing arc.

The end result is to feel your weight shifting to the left (for right handed player) as your swing is going through the ball while using your normal stance.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Make sure you are teeing the ball off your front foot.. that was my problem when I couldn't hit my driver. Also, make sure you are getting in the pull down "slot" and you have a general good swing.

A good drill to get in the slot is just to practice the pull down motion 50 times in a row.

maybe watch a few vids of good ol slammin Sam Snead? just a thought but for me in my practice and warm ups i like to stop at the  top of b'swing...try to simulate a "squat" Snead style and then fire thru to finish.It just gets you moving in sequence nicely as a warm up and gets you in the mood for the "firing" move you talk about with the hips always leading the way without overemphasising ? the movement into a slide..good luck,works for me and certainly did for Sam!

• Upvote 1

Hey folks,

I have been struggling with consistency on the driver.  The good news is that I know what I'm doing wrong and generally have the same miss every time (varying degrees of smother hook, snap hook or just gentle hook).  My problem is not firing the hips and just swinging with my arms.  I'm getting really good results when I'm able to get the sequencing right but the hook always sneaks back in when I'm tired, not sufficiently loose, or just not paying enough attention.  I would like to find some more drills that people have found helpful for clearing the hips.  one that my pro gave me that worked really well is simple lining up way too close to the ball for practice swings.  The only way to hit it is to get your hips aggressively out of the way.  That has helped a lot but would appreciate other suggestions for this specific move.  Especially things I can do indoors or without hitting a ball to try and groove the muscle memory.

thanks in advance!

Good drills for driver here

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_847925

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/72#post_816439

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Just a thought, if you know your miss and able to hit the ball correctly most of the time, then maybe its your pre shot routine that needs to be developed? Maybe part of your issue isn't your swing, but inconsistency. It could be fixed if you build a good pre shot routine. If i'm hitting the ball well and don't need to make any corrections with my swing at the range, then i try to rehearse a routine from start to finish. IF you get that grooved in it will prove helpful when you're standing on the T-box without having hit the ball ten times before that important drive, like at the range. A pre shot routine can get you there mentally and maybe get you to recreate that swing you had at the range...

Regards.

maybe watch a few vids of good ol slammin Sam Snead? just a thought but for me in my practice and warm ups i like to stop at the  top of b'swing...try to simulate a "squat" Snead style and then fire thru to finish.It just gets you moving in sequence nicely as a warm up and gets you in the mood for the "firing" move you talk about with the hips always leading the way without overemphasising ? the movement into a slide..good luck,works for me and certainly did for Sam!

This definetly works, I use the same thought if I get an odd hook, the other thing make sure ur grip pressure is not tight and check ur right hand is not too strong. Faldo had a drill for it with a beach ball between the legs first thing from the top is drop the ball. Basically ensures the first move from the top are the hips turning back..... just as Hogan wrote....The drill is on u tube.

This definetly works, I use the same thought if I get an odd hook, the other thing make sure ur grip pressure is not tight and check ur right hand is not too strong. Faldo had a drill for it with a beach ball between the legs first thing from the top is drop the ball. Basically ensures the first move from the top are the hips turning back..... just as Hogan wrote....The drill is on u tube.

Hogan may have felt he just turned his hips but he also had a decent amount of hip slide.

Mike McLoughlin

Disagree, He had huge amount of hip slide !! But in the 5 lessons book he wrote about turning from the top . He did the alot of the sliding with his hips just before his hips squared up to the the target, otherwise he would have pulled too much from the inside. Like the redlines please what program do u use to do that? Also could u do a line at the center of his chest at address and impact, did Hogan move his head forward a t impact, to me it looks like he did slightly especially with irons?

Disagree, He had huge amount of hip slide !! But in the 5 lessons book he wrote about turning from the top . He did the alot of the sliding with his hips just before his hips squared up to the the target, otherwise he would have pulled too much from the inside. Like the redlines please what program do u use to do that? Also could u do a line at the center of his chest at address and impact, did Hogan move his head forward a t impact, to me it looks like he did slightly especially with irons?

Good point. Look at the horizontal shadow just above his head in both pics. Notice his head is almost in the same place relative to that horizontal line? His head barely moved, especially in comparison to the amount his hips moved as indicated by the red lines.

Disagree, He had huge amount of hip slide !!

Sorry, instead of "decent" I should have said huge ;-)

But in the 5 lessons book he wrote about turning from the top . He did the alot of the sliding with his hips just before his hips squared up to the the target, otherwise he would have pulled too much from the inside.

Yes he wrote about turning from the top because he already have enough slide.  He squared his hips before impact, like many great players his hips were well open at impact.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/70580/good-general-numbers-for-hips-torso-at-a7/18#post_908745

For Hogan hips square just after A5 (left arm parallel to the ground on the downswing).

Originally Posted by tooc

Like the redlines please what program do u use to do that? Also could u do a line at the center of his chest at address and impact, did Hogan move his head forward a t impact, to me it looks like he did slightly especially with irons?

I use Analyzr , it's awesome.  For an iron Hogan's left shoulder was slighlty further forward at impact but head is still steady, so lower center forward, head steady, that's what kicks in the axis tilt (blue line).  Be careful drawing lines using these older videos, camera moves on a lot of them, these two are pretty good.

Mike McLoughlin

Thank u so much, really appreciate that. My head moves about 2 inches forward through impact, anybody got an idea what drill to use to stop it?? Thank so much mvmac

Thank u so much, really appreciate that. My head moves about 2 inches forward through impact, anybody got an idea what drill to use to stop it?? Thank so much mvmac

You can start with narrowing your stance and practice for a little while like that. Narrow stance prevents weight shifts.

Be great to see a video to confirm but two inches is still steady enough as long as the weight is forward.  Check out the videos below, feeling like you "squish the ball" helps get the weight forward which keeping the head steady.

You can start with narrowing your stance and practice for a little while like that. Narrow stance prevents weight shifts.

Yeah a more narrow stance can help increase rotation/lessen swaying but we also want a shift forward on the downswing, just wanted to clarify.  Tough to say without seeing a video, tooc's stance might be narrow already, just don't know.

Mike McLoughlin

Will try and c if I can put a video up, put a few drivers on video today, with the driver head comes back to position at address very happy about that I'm using an app called uart quite good. Feet drill is another Faldo one, but in my opinion a risky drill, u really want to driving the hips through , which this drill can really limit. 2 inches in much one scratch golfer says he has sometimes the same issue he fixes it by trying to see the contact at impact, it just makes u stay down on it a bit better

Note: This thread is 3744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!