IGNORED

GPS watch or handheld?

Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm taking my shovel to this thread.

Been thinking about getting a GPS unit. I originally wanted to replace my old Leupold rangefinder, but it still works "okay", just not as good as it used to. It has a hard time finding the flag now (not the batteries) and I never got the fading display issue repaired (also not the batteries), but it still works to hit the lips of bunkers, trees, etc., so I can do plenty with it except find the exact distance to the flag easily.

So anyway, despite saying earlier that I'd never wear a watch while golfing, I've been leaning towards getting a watch over the handheld device. I don't like tinkering with devices while I play and I think I would love the convenience of having my yardage information on my wrist. I don't need all sorts of features since I'm a Game Golf user, but I also don't want the unit to only be useful around the greens.

Anybody have any new thoughts on this, given the improvements to technology over the last couple of years? I'm currently considering the Garmin Approach G6 or the S6. The handheld is $100 cheaper than the watch, which is a factor.

Or should I get something with less features (and thus, cheaper) because I do have a rangefinder and Game Golf?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Been thinking about getting a GPS unit. I originally wanted to replace my old Leupold rangefinder, but it still works "okay", just not as good as it used to. It has a hard time finding the flag now (not the batteries) and I never got the fading display issue repaired (also not the batteries), but it still works to hit the lips of bunkers, trees, etc., so I can do plenty with it except find the exact distance to the flag easily.

So anyway, despite saying earlier that I'd never wear a watch while golfing, I've been leaning towards getting a watch over the handheld device. I don't like tinkering with devices while I play and I think I would love the convenience of having my yardage information on my wrist. I don't need all sorts of features since I'm a Game Golf user, but I also don't want the unit to only be useful around the greens.

Anybody have any new thoughts on this, given the improvements to technology over the last couple of years? I'm currently considering the Garmin Approach G6 or the S6. The handheld is $100 cheaper than the watch, which is a factor.

Or should I get something with less features (and thus, cheaper) because I do have a rangefinder and Game Golf?

Call Leupold customer service, they are usually really good at replacing defective products or at least offering you a good discount on newer models.  

Watch is nice because you don't have to carry anything, you just look at your wrist.  Some of the units with bigger screens are a bit bulky so you may not want to put them in your pocket.  I have used both and prefer the convenience of the watch.

I would suggest you take a look at the X20 or S40 as less expensive alternatives to the S6 unless you really want the higher res color touch screen.  

Joe Paradiso

7 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Call Leupold customer service, they are usually really good at replacing defective products or at least offering you a good discount on newer models.

You're not the first person to tell me this. I have to give it a try. I just kind of assumed because my rangefinder is so old it wasn't worth calling.

Watch is nice because you don't have to carry anything, you just look at your wrist.  Some of the units with bigger screens are a bit bulky so you may not want to put them in your pocket.  I have used both and prefer the convenience of the watch.

That's what I was thinking. If I wanted to use a handheld I could probably just get an app for my phone, but I really don't like messing around with my phone on the course either.

I would suggest you take a look at the X20 or S40 as less expensive alternatives to the S6 unless you really want the higher res color touch screen.

Thanks, I'll have to look into them.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

One other option is the Golf Buddie, that clips to yr hat, visor, or belt.  My dad uses one and it works very well....basic front, middle, back.  Accurate and unabtrusive.

I'm a rangefinder user.  Once I went to a rangefinder, I never touched my gps again even when I had it with me.  Can't even tell you what drawer it's gathering dust in these days...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

One other option is the Golf Buddie, that clips to yr hat, visor, or belt.  My dad uses one and it works very well....basic front, middle, back.  Accurate and unabtrusive.

That's an idea. A unit that clips to my belt would be just as convenient as a watch but won't affect my swing. I'm going to look like Batman with all the stuff I clip on my belt but that'd be no different than being at work.

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

I'm a rangefinder user.  Once I went to a rangefinder, I never touched my gps again even when I had it with me.  Can't even tell you what drawer it's gathering dust in these days...

I am, too. I love my rangefinder, but it has limitations. Limitations that can be annoying if you play as often from the wrong fairway as I do.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I have a Garmin watch and love it.  Very accurate and very convenient.  My buddies are always asking me for the yardages on their shots too

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

14 hours ago, billchao said:

I just looked at your Game Golf statistics, and I have to say that it looks like your three main approach clubs have roughly the same distances.

For instance, your distances from PW to 7i are almost the same. It doesn't seem to matter what club you choose inside 160 yards with the TM RSI2? Your other iron set is a bit better as far as separation, but still a weird compression from 9i to 8i***?

Given the strange compression inside 170 yards and your driving distance of 258, it looks like a range finder or GPS watch would only tell you how roughly much swing to put on any of these clubs and hope for the best?

Instead of getting more equipment to measure the distances, I would possibly look at getting clubs that behave more reasonably inside 170?

***I'm not immune to this either, I have a weird compression with my 8i, 7i, 5i which I think have been fixed within these last few weeks, but will take some time to average out in GG.However, with my driving distance of 262, I rarely use the 5i and 7i on the courses I play. This could explain why my 8i is stronger than my 7i?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

28 minutes ago, Lihu said:

just looked at your Game Golf statistics, and I have to say that it looks like your three main approach clubs have roughly the same distances.

For instance, your distances from PW to 7i are almost the same. It doesn't seem to matter what club you choose inside 160 yards with the TM RSI2? Your other iron set is a bit better as far as separation, but still a weird compression from 9i to 8i***?

I don't use the TMs. Also GG gives you total distance, not carry, and doesn't factor in stuff like flighted swings, wind, elevation changes, etc. I know what my carry numbers are from a launch monitor.

I don't put a lot of stock in what GG considers my typical distance because I hit a lot of partial swings and punch shots and frankly there just isn't a lot of data because I don't play enough.

I appreciate that you're trying to help, but please stick with the topic.

Bill

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don't use the TMs. Also GG gives you total distance, not carry, and doesn't factor in stuff like flighted swings, wind, elevation changes, etc. I know what my carry numbers are from a launch monitor.

I don't put a lot of stock in what GG considers my typical distance because I hit a lot of partial swings and punch shots and frankly there just isn't a lot of data because I don't play enough.

I appreciate that you're trying to help, but please stick with the topic.

Okay, the topic was if you should get a watch GPS, and my opinion was it didn't look like it would help to have more measuring devices than what you already have. I just needed to support it with more than a blanket statement that it didn't look like it would help.

Sorry, to have ruffled your feathers, again. :hmm:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Okay, the topic was if you should get a watch GPS, and my opinion was it didn't look like it would help to have more measuring devices than what you already have. I just needed to support it with more than a blanket statement that it didn't look like it would help.

I'm trying to decide between a watch or a handheld. Or even just a new rangefinder because I can no longer depend 100% on the one I have. I can't play with no yardage device.

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Sorry, to have ruffled your feathers, again. :hmm:

I'm not going down that road again. Where's the facepalm emoji?

Bill

My Swing Thread

I'm trying to decide between a watch or a handheld. Or even just a new rangefinder because I can no longer depend 100% on the one I have. I can't play with no yardage device.\

Okay, good luck finding one. Personally, I think GG live is good enough. . .http://www.gamegolf.com/products/en-us/live?v=7d9e342

I'm not going down that road again. Where's the facepalm emoji?

:doh:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

5 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Okay, good luck finding one. Personally, I think GG live is good enough. . .http://www.gamegolf.com/products/en-us/live?v=7d9e342

I use GG Classic. Never wanted to use my phone with it. The one thing I can't abide by is anything that wears out my phone battery faster.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I use GG Classic. Never wanted to use my phone with it. The one thing I can't abide by is anything that wears out my phone battery faster.

I tried using GG for their GPS and tagging with my phone but it was such a hassle I never used it for a full round.  

The Garmin watch I use on every hole for every round.  Its awesome for shots not from the middle of the fairway and has really helped my recovery game.  It doesn't require you to pull out your phone or device all the time and it doesn't wear down your phone battery...

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yeah, some people have that issue.

I happen to have an iPhone 6s plus and the battery could last for 6 rounds, possibly more. Before round and after round was about 15% battery life. This is with the display on much of the time for things like GPS measurements to hole etc. My partners ask me for yardages all the time instead of taking out their range finders. My rangefinder is collecting dust.

One of my partners has the Garmin wrist unit and we compared notes. In general, they were about the same. Sometimes, his would be off by 5 to 10 yards from what the course markers stated and my GG was right on the course marker yardage. Not sure why?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I use both a laser rangefinder and a gps watch strapped to the laser's case. When I get to my drive I often have to wait for the group ahead of me to put the flag back in before I can shoot the distance with the laser. I like to at least know the distance to the center of the green right away (watch) so I can be mostly ready to hit when they clear the green. Reminding me of the distance to the center as well as the distance to the stick also helps me avoid the temptation to go at certain flags (anything over 125). However, when I have missed a green off to the left or right the rangefinder is a must.

1 minute ago, Zesty said:

I use both a laser rangefinder and a gps watch strapped to the laser's case. When I get to my drive I often have to wait for the group ahead of me to put the flag back in before I can shoot the distance with the laser. I like to at least know the distance to the center of the green right away (watch) so I can be mostly ready to hit when they clear the green. Reminding me of the distance to the center as well as the distance to the stick also helps me avoid the temptation to go at certain flags (anything over 125). However, when I have missed a green off to the left or right the rangefinder is a must.

I suppose that's better than pacing off the distance. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

6 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

I tried using GG for their GPS and tagging with my phone but it was such a hassle I never used it for a full round.

Same here.

6 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

The Garmin watch I use on every hole for every round.  Its awesome for shots not from the middle of the fairway and has really helped my recovery game.  It doesn't require you to pull out your phone or device all the time and it doesn't wear down your phone battery...

That's what I was thinking, which is why I was leaning towards the watch. But the idea of getting a belt clip for the handheld (assuming it isn't monstrous and bulky) intrigues me. It would still be at my fingertips and also not on my wrist when I swing.

I'm not really sure why I didn't think I can clip the handheld to my belt, but that's why I asked for input ;-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

I just started golfing again and a guy I golf with uses a range finder. He likes it a lot but payed a lot for it.  I use golf logic on my phone not so much for club tracking more so for the electronic score card so I can see if I am improving at all, the gps range I also like to play from the right fairway, and the overall end of round stats such as greens in reg fairways hit. How many terrible putts I made.  I golf solo a lot and make sure to if I get paired with someone that I'm not just looking and texting on my phone I am recording my score and stats.(my old lady is really respectful and doesn't really text or call me while I am golfing unless there is an emergency ??)

Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!