IGNORED

Your Lowest Round Ever

majorchamp
Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2003 - 68 - 71.9/122 (first time under par as well. Only have two other rounds in 60's, both 69s) Went out in 33. After my first bogey on the 13th, my cart partner and good buddy got silent. He was making me more nervous not talking than had he been talking about a possible result. I asked him to loosen up and he was soon busting my chops per our usual banter. That helped a bunch. I really didn't think I hit it spectacular or anything, and my only bogey came on a missed three footer. Only rolled in one bomb ~20'. I really thought rounds in the 60's would start coming in droves after that.....wrong. My next revision was also my first better than scratch. Only had a two or three of those after that. Three days later, I fired a smooth 83. Felt like a hundred. What a game. :-\

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

I shot my personal best the other day with a 2 under of 70. We had some nasty weather coming so I had to play the last 4 holes a little quick and one of the holes is one that is not uncommon to eagle or birdie and I ended up with par. The way I was playing it was heading to a round in the 60's, felt good no matter what though!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Best competition round is 79 which I shot on Tuesday, +6 par 73. Recently I've been hitting the ball worse than I have all season but still managing to score well, a lot more gratifying than hitting it well and scoring badly. Was -1 through 7 and double bogey bogey 8 and 9 for a +2 front 9. Played the next 7 +1 and finished bogey double bogey for a +6, missed an 18 inch putt for bogey on 18 after my par putt burnt the lip, a few times recently I've blown up on the way in but still managed to post a decent score and break 80 this time so hopefully I can turn over a leaf and keep it together for the full 18.

Low round was a +2 73 at Bowes Creek in Elgin, IL.

6412 yards, Par 71, 71.5/138

Kind of a ho-hum 73 which sounds strange to say....nothing flashy, no long putts made - think I had 1 birdie on the day. The key was no penalty strokes, no bunkers (my sand play is horrifying) and no blow-ups. Think I might have had 1 three putt......

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

Originally Posted by Dakota Atkinson

I just started golfing a couple weeks ago since im done playing baseball/other sports for good now (graduated HS). My best on 18 so far is 102, shot a 46 on 9 on a different day. For all you guys scoring in the 70s/low 80s, how long did it take you to start consistently scoring like that on 18 holes?

I started when I was eleven and really got fired up about the game when I was 14 or 15.  Living in Savannah, I could play all year, so once I got hooked at was at it almost every day.  I broke 80 for the first time when I was 16, but it took me another 4 years to shoot that 69.  And I practiced a LOT during that time.  I think the main trick to low scores is not to miss a day of practice/play.  I don't think it takes a lot of practice per day, just some, just enough to keep the forward momentum going.  If you're not learning, you're forgetting.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangeclub

Wow, that's really a low index for not breaking 70!  But they seem to start coming once you get that first one.  I kept hammering at the door with a couple of bogies or a double bogie that would ruin it at the end, sometimes my fault, sometimes not, then I holed a 9 iron on the 17th hole one day for an eagle, right after a double that I thought had taken me out of it.  I gagged in for a par on the last hole for a 69, three under.  Then I started doing it pretty often!  I think I stopped freezing on the back side after a good front, or maybe didn't give up after a bad one.  I've had more than one score in the 60s starting out with a double!  It's all in your head, is all I can figure.

I FINALLY DID IT TODAY!!!  I had the tour championship for the top 20 golfers on the junior tour that I play on at a par 72, 72.1/131 course.  Keep in mind, this was the last junior tournament that I will ever get to play in, since it was the championship, and I'm 18.   I got to the course late, I had 30 minutes before my tee time.  I decided I didn't feel like warming up, so I didn't go to the range.  I didn't even hit a single putt or chip before my round.. and I shot -4 68.  It really feels great to do this finally, and it couldn't have happened at a better time.  I won the tournament by 7 shots.. and I had 3 three putts!! I hit 17 greens on the day. I love that there is still room for improvement.  Here's the scorecard :)

I started on hole #2.

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

A 69 yesterday was my best round ever. While it was a great feeling to break 70, I wasn't happy with my play, knowing a few STUPID mistakes stopped me from coming in at 66-68. But, it is what it is, and it is a 69.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

On my home course, an 87 a few weeks ago. Last week I shot a 42 and 43 on the respective 9s over two days.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

Originally Posted by Unforgiven93  I love that there is still room for improvement.  Here's the scorecard :)

I started on hole #2.

Nice numbers!

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangeclub

Nice numbers!

Thanks! I've been waiting to do this for about 2 years.. and it finally happened.  And on your comment of my low index and no 60's, you have to remember that I've only played for 5 years and I sucked for the first 3.  Last year I was probably about a 4 handicap, but this year and summer I've really turned it up.  I've played +\- 0.0 basically this whole summer.  I think I'm a little below 0 right now, I just don't want to put it on here because people won't believe me, haha.

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

adding CR and SLOPE to your best round helps make it relevant......

IE...saying you shot XX doesn't mean anything without a course rating and slope.   Just sayin.....course par isn't even relevant.....

Rant off...

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

6495 yard course 71.3par/126 I shot an 86. 7 pars. Best game of my life.. and it happened only 1 hour ago! Super Twilight! All this practice and learning from this forum has paid off tremendously. I even chipped one from 30 yards out and into the hole.. it was unreal.
  • Upvote 1

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

70 on my home course and I believe I was a 6 at the time? Best round I ever played was that summer on a difficult course I had never played before. Shot 72 and it was in a tournament. If I had been on my home course I honestly think it would have been a 68.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

I read that post "and i was 6 at the time" . I was thinking..must have been an amazing 6yr old.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

adding CR and SLOPE to your best round helps make it relevant......

IE...saying you shot XX doesn't mean anything without a course rating and slope.   Just sayin.....course par isn't even relevant.....

Rant off...

When you start shooting 60s on the 7600 yard courses, with the 500 yard par 4s, it means a lot more, but for most courses, anything over 110 slope makes things "respectable".  There are courses with low slopes around here that I just can't play, because of the course conditions and holes that simply take the strength of my game out of play -- tees where you have to lay up with a 5 iron because of water in front of the green will still get the miserable 310 yard hole smack down from the raters.   A difficult, well-maintained course is far easier to score on, if you can hit the ball. than a short goat lot with spotty greens where any putt outside 3 feet is an adventure and the rough around the greens rivals the Open Championship.  Things like unmowed fairways and unraked sandtraps don't come into the equation with slope/course ratings, because they always have it spick and span and ready to go when the raters show up.  Just because there are a bunch of traps and water hazards doesn't necessarily make a course much more difficult at all for a good ball striker, whereas it might make things very dicey for a person who relies more on a good short game.  Even yardages don't tell the tell.  A 410 yard hole around here plays like a 460 yard hole in Dallas, for example, but it doesn't matter when the universal slope equations are rolled out for plugging in and calculating.  Some of the highest slopes around here are the easiest courses for me to play, simply because they tend to have better course conditions.  I'll take a five iron off a nice fairway over an eight iron on one where the ball sits down like it's in the rough any day.

1 over 71 for me...I drove the 18th green and left the 50 ft eagle putt about and inch short in the heart for even par.  Everything I did that day was correct and I look to that day because it really came out of nowhere because I had been shootin in the low 80's at the time when it happened.

Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!