IGNORED

So happy I found an Indoor Golf Simulator!

D-Man
Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A couple of years ago I took up bowling just for something to do in the winter months.  It was ok, but not really for me.  I like to bowl maybe a few times a year, but I think once a week for three months is way too much bowling for me!  Last year I found an indoor simulator and started playing in a league.  This year I'm totally hooked and I'm playing in the same league and also started another league with people I work with.  It's not real golf, but it's good enough to get me through the winter months!

The place I go to uses the Full Swing brand.  It's the same simulator that Dicks Sporting Goods uses at most of their stores, except this one has like 80 courses to choose from including many courses that host PGA events!  So it's also cool, because I get to play many courses I'll probably never get to play in real life.  The only downer is I'm moving to Northern Colorado this spring and there aren't any facilities like this anywhere close to where I'll be living!  So I'm going to enjoy it while I can!  I'm eventually going to have to figure out what I'm going to do next winter!

Anyone do any indoor golf leagues?  What brand of simulators have you used?

Driver:        :tmade:- R11s                             GPS:        :skycaddie:- SGXW

3W:            :titleist:-910F 15*                             BAG:        :titleist:- 14 Way carry bag

Hybrid:       :titleist:910H 19*                                           :titleist:- 14 Way Cart bag

Irons 4-PW::titleist:- AP2 712

Wedges:    :vokey:- 52, 56, 60

Putter:       :cameron:- Studio Select 1.5

Ball:          :titleist:- Pro V1x

I'm a member at simulator place up the street.  I joined for the same reason as you, winters up here are long!  I tried using a golf dome for a while but it was way too cold and way too expensive.

My simulator place uses HDGolf.  Absolutely amazing visuals since they take actual photos at the course.  The trade off is they only have 20+ courses.  I love playing in the leagues (I play in 2 leagues during the week).  Met some great guys and a few new golf buddies that way.

Brad

Until I read this thread I did not know such places existed.  But since I spend Winter in Phoenix we don't need them here this time of year.   But I would bet you might make it work in the Summer.

Butch

They're popping up everywhere, now. Last year, I didn't find any on a search, now there are at least two within 15 minutes from my house.

I'm actually more interesting in finding a place that uses Trackman or Flightscope that I can use for improvement, but so far the only places I've found are a bit longer than I'd like to travel for practice.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a member at simulator place up the street.  I joined for the same reason as you, winters up here are long!  I tried using a golf dome for a while but it was way too cold and way too expensive.

My simulator place uses HDGolf.  Absolutely amazing visuals since they take actual photos at the course.  The trade off is they only have 20+ courses.  I love playing in the leagues (I play in 2 leagues during the week).  Met some great guys and a few new golf buddies that way.

When I did a quick search in Colorado, there is one that uses HDGolf in Wheatridge, CO.  However, that would be too far for me to do any league :(  But when I get out there, I might check it out next winter if I can't find some other option.  I just won't be able to go two to three days a week like I am now.

The guys I played with this year on Weds, I met in that indoor golf league.  They are all starters at courses around where I live.  They invited me to join them when the wather got better and we could play outside again.  Great guys!  And as I bonus, I got to play some awesome courses that cost $75 to $85 around for $25!  I always enjoy making new golfing friends!

We have several here. I don't like putting on a sim so I tend to stick to the indoor hitting stalls with video.

I agree the putting is weird and hard to get used to.  But my approach is this is just something to do and keep the rust off my swing.  In the sim you get a perfect surface to hit off, even the mats they have to simulate the rough and the sand are easier to hit out of.  Hitting off the mat that simulates a sand shot is noting like hitting from real sand.  I know there will be rust on my putting stroke this spring, but it's nothing a little work early in the year won't take care of.

Where are the simulaters around you, Dave? Would it be possible for you to give me the names of the ones near you? I did a quick search and found one in Wheatridge and a couple down in the Springs, which is too far.  Brighton is still a little bit more of a drive than I would want, but it's hell of a lot better than Wheatridge.  If they offered leagues there, I could maybe see myself driving there once a week for a league next winter.

They're popping up everywhere, now. Last year, I didn't find any on a search, now there are at least two within 15 minutes from my house.

I'm actually more interesting in finding a place that uses Trackman or Flightscope that I can use for improvement, but so far the only places I've found are a bit longer than I'd like to travel for practice.

The guy that owns the place I go to now is looking into Trackman and Flightscope, they are going to make a new bay for them.  They already have High School kids that come in and do a league together and offer lessons.  They have a guy that builds clubs too, so they are going to start doing fittings once they get a scope.

In the past the owner has ran his buisness as a hobby and his goal was just to break even.  He owns severl camps and has a rafting company.  So in the winter months he just does the golf sim buisness for something to do, but I think he's realized he's onto something and there is a market for it.

I always had a dream of owning a bar or something when I retire.  I've looked at the price of some of these sims and you're looking at $40K to $80k and up.  When I started this I always thought if I ever did open my bar, doing a golf or sports theme would be cool!  Even cooler would be to have a couple of these sims in a side or back room and run leagues in the winter months!

Driver:        :tmade:- R11s                             GPS:        :skycaddie:- SGXW

3W:            :titleist:-910F 15*                             BAG:        :titleist:- 14 Way carry bag

Hybrid:       :titleist:910H 19*                                           :titleist:- 14 Way Cart bag

When I did a quick search in Colorado, there is one that uses HDGolf in Wheatridge, CO.  However, that would be too far for me to do any league :(  But when I get out there, I might check it out next winter if I can't find some other option.  I just won't be able to go two to three days a week like I am now.

The guys I played with this year on Weds, I met in that indoor golf league.  They are all starters at courses around where I live.  They invited me to join them when the wather got better and we could play outside again.  Great guys!  And as I bonus, I got to play some awesome courses that cost $75 to $85 around for $25!  I always enjoy making new golfing friends!

I agree the putting is weird and hard to get used to.  But my approach is this is just something to do and keep the rust off my swing.  In the sim you get a perfect surface to hit off, even the mats they have to simulate the rough and the sand are easier to hit out of.  Hitting off the mat that simulates a sand shot is noting like hitting from real sand.  I know there will be rust on my putting stroke this spring, but it's nothing a little work early in the year won't take care of.

Where are the simulaters around you, Dave? Would it be possible for you to give me the names of the ones near you? I did a quick search and found one in Wheatridge and a couple down in the Springs, which is too far.  Brighton is still a little bit more of a drive than I would want, but it's hell of a lot better than Wheatridge.  If they offered leagues there, I could maybe see myself driving there once a week for a league next winter.

The guy that owns the place I go to now is looking into Trackman and Flightscope, they are going to make a new bay for them.  They already have High School kids that come in and do a league together and offer lessons.  They have a guy that builds clubs too, so they are going to start doing fittings once they get a scope.

In the past the owner has ran his buisness as a hobby and his goal was just to break even.  He owns severl camps and has a rafting company.  So in the winter months he just does the golf sim buisness for something to do, but I think he's realized he's onto something and there is a market for it.

I always had a dream of owning a bar or something when I retire.  I've looked at the price of some of these sims and you're looking at $40K to $80k and up.  When I started this I always thought if I ever did open my bar, doing a golf or sports theme would be cool!  Even cooler would be to have a couple of these sims in a side or back room and run leagues in the winter months!

FYI.  In Colorado, you can pretty much play year around as long as the snow does not stick around.  Granted there were some years where it seemed to snow every weekend for a couple of months, but generally the snow will be gone within a few days allowing you to play golf on most weekend (or week days, if your schedule permits).

That's probably one of the reasons why there aren't many indoor simulators in CO.

Like today, it was 50's until about 2 PM.  I was able to get out for 18 holes in the morning.  It was actually warm by the time we made the turn.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

FYI.  In Colorado, you can pretty much play year around as long as the snow does not stick around.  Granted there were some years where it seemed to snow every weekend for a couple of months, but generally the snow will be gone within a few days allowing you to play golf on most weekend (or week days, if your schedule permits).

That's probably one of the reasons why there aren't many indoor simulators in CO.

Like today, it was 50's until about 2 PM.  I was able to get out for 18 holes in the morning.  It was actually warm by the time we made the turn.

I'm from CO, Lived there for 28 years.  I used to live next to the Pinery Country club in Parker as a kid.  I remembered it being closed in the winter no matter what the weater.  So I just assumed all the courses closed.  So that's an option next winter!  Knowing my luck we'll get a freak blizzard in Nov or something and the snow will hang around all winter next year! lol

I hope not. About three years ago, it seemed to have snowed every weekend from December to February. It was one of the worst winters (for golf). But it was great for recovering from drought.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Yeah golf all year here. But it can vary just by a few miles when storms are coming in. I also was out yesterday but up north we had 40 plus mph gusts and colder temps. There is a sim in Erie ar Leonards Golf. You may have better results searching indoor range. Quite s few sports bars have indoor golf but not sure about norco. Not sure if the op mentioned where in norco he is moving but assume you will be driving a lot. We aren't too far out in Brighton but Ihave to drive all over the metro area. It isn't uncommon to drive 100 miles or more for golf. An example is the PGA SS is about as far south as The Pinery. I've gonevthar far and back just for grips.

Dave :-)

I hope not. About three years ago, it seemed to have snowed every weekend from December to February. It was one of the worst winters (for golf). But it was great for recovering from drought.

Just wait for next winter!  If it's shitty I'll take the blame! lol

Yeah golf all year here. But it can vary just by a few miles when storms are coming in. I also was out yesterday but up north we had 40 plus mph gusts and colder temps. There is a sim in Erie ar Leonards Golf. You may have better results searching indoor range. Quite s few sports bars have indoor golf but not sure about norco. Not sure if the op mentioned where in norco he is moving but assume you will be driving a lot. We aren't too far out in Brighton but Ihave to drive all over the metro area. It isn't uncommon to drive 100 miles or more for golf. An example is the PGA SS is about as far south as The Pinery. I've gonevthar far and back just for grips.

I will be living in Greeley, so not much farther north than Brighton.  There is a PGA SS in or near Parker now?!?!?

Thanks for the tip on Erie, that's not too far.  I will have to check it out!

Just wait for next winter!  If it's shitty I'll take the blame! lol

I will be living in Greeley, so not much farther north than Brighton.  There is a PGA SS in or near Parker now?!?!?

Thanks for the tip on Erie, that's not too far.  I will have to check it out!

PGA SS is on Arapahoe Rd east of I-25. You can buy stall time there too. But you'll be golfing on the course more than anything. Kid you not I played more Nov-Feb than I did Mar-May in 2012/13. This year I'm not as into dealing with winter golf conditions so I am more selective. Coyote Creek in Ft. Lupton is almost always open. I posted pics a few weeks ago from a day I was out there where there was still snow on the greens.

Dave :-)

I got turned off of golf simulators a long time ago, but with the advances in technology it would probably be a lot better now. It was just so inaccurate when I tried it out back then I was annoyed and felt it wasn't worth the money spent.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I use a similar golf simulator during the winter months.  Its pretty cool but the putting will drive you crazy.  I always set gimmies to as generous as the simulator will allow, usually 10 feet because putting on those things will make you want to give up the game.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Quote:

I got turned off of golf simulators a long time ago, but with the advances in technology it would probably be a lot better now. It was just so inaccurate when I tried it out back then I was annoyed and felt it wasn't worth the money spent.

I don't know how the sims were, as this is only my second season playing on one.  But they aren't that bad now.  The only thing is you always have a perfect lie every time and trying to shoot 40 to 80 yard shots can be difficult at times, because the flight of the ball is so steep it doesn't clear the second set of sensors, but you get used to it and learn where to shoot certain shots from inside the sim so they will register.  Like I said before, it's a better alternative to not playing at all in the winter.  You also shoot lower scores because it's a perfect lie every time!

I use a similar golf simulator during the winter months.  Its pretty cool but the putting will drive you crazy.  I always set gimmies to as generous as the simulator will allow, usually 10 feet because putting on those things will make you want to give up the game.

Yeah the putting can drive you crazy.  We play with 6 foot gimmies because that's how far the first sensor is from the screen.  Inside of 6 feet you can't see the cup on the screen.  The putting does take a lot of getting used to and the two leagues I play in, one league insists on the green speed being fast and the other insists on them being moderate.  So if you thought it was hard before that, try going between the two speeds all the time.  Usually takes me a few holes to get used to it every round.  Especially the down hill putts.  I've had a 7 foot downhill putt on fast speed, just miss the edge of the cup only for it to roll past the hole and just outside the six foot gimmie.  That's very frustrating!!!

Also the guys that want fast green speeds insist on playing in heavy wind all the time.  Which is fine, but on the sim we play on the wind gusts and changes direction.  In real life if you are standing over your ball you would feel the wind pick up or change and can step away.  If you're not looking at the wind meeter in the sim, which you're not at address and the wind shifts or changes speed, you have no clue.  I can't tell you how many times I've came up short or flew it over a green because the wind changed on me while I was at address.  Their argument is it takes away the advantage of having a perfect lie all the time.  I guess I can see where they are coming from.

PGA SS is on Arapahoe Rd east of I-25. You can buy stall time there too. But you'll be golfing on the course more than anything. Kid you not I played more Nov-Feb than I did Mar-May in 2012/13. This year I'm not as into dealing with winter golf conditions so I am more selective. Coyote Creek in Ft. Lupton is almost always open. I posted pics a few weeks ago from a day I was out there where there was still snow on the greens.

Sweet, I know exactly where that is.  There used to be an old golf shop around there called "Colorado Ski and Golf".  I wonder if they turned that into the PGA SS.  There is also a ton of new build stuff in that area as well, I guess I'll find out.  That used to be my old stomping grounds, I still have a lot of friends that live around there.  When I lived in Parker as a kid, the closest Target was the one on Arapahoe and I-25, I remember begging my parents to take me for Nintendo games and then the drive back seemed like it took forever!!!  I couldn't wait to get home to play my new game!

I will check out the pics of Coyote Creek!  I'm looking forward to moving back home and I'm not as bummed about winter golf!

Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!