IGNORED

2014 Hyundai Tournament of Champions Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Matt Kuchar has a history of strong finishes at the Plantation Course at Kapalua, which makes him a favorite this week.

Expert Picks: Hyundai Tournament of Champions
Expert Fantasy selections Projected champion
Sean Martin Harris English, Matt Kuchar
Adam Scott, Webb Simpson
Matt
Kuchar

Kuchar has finished no worse than seventh in his past four worldwide starts and has finished no worse than ninth in his past three appearances at Kapalua.

John Swantek Jason Dufner, Bill Haas
Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott
Dustin
Johnson

Bombs away at the Plantation Course for the defending champion, who can blow away the field in any conditions.

Ryan Smithson Dustin Johnson, Ryan Moore
Jimmy Walker, Gary Woodland
Dustin
Johnson

I am loading up with big hitters at wide-open Kapalua. This is Johnson's to lose again, but I really like Moore as well..

Bryan Mullen Russell Henley, Dustin Johnson
Matt Kuchar, Adam Scott
Dustin
Johnson

There is a comfort level here for DJ, who won the WGC-HSBC Champions in November.

D.J. Piehowski Harris English, Dustin Johnson
Matt Kuchar, Webb Simpson
Webb
Simpson

After a long layoff, I'm going with three locks with plenty of Kapalua history and taking a hunch on English, who won twice in 2013.

Chris Dunham Matt Kuchar, Dustin Johnson
Adam Scott, Webb Simpson
Adam
Scott

The holidays are a time to be lazy. Just give me four competitors with strong Kapalua records.

Anne Detlefsen Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott
Jordan Spieth, Gary Woodland
Adam
Scott

The Masters champ is primed to have an even bigger year in 2014 ... starting with a win this week.

Helen Ross Bill Haas, Dustin Johnson
Matt Kuchar, Webb Simpson
Matt
Kuchar

He's finished in the top 10 the last three times he's played in the Hyundai Tournament of Champions and broken par in 10 of his last 11 rounds at Kapalua.

Rob Bolton Dustin Johnson, Matt Kuchar
Adam Scott, Webb Simpson
Adam
Scott

All have experienced success at Kapalua and all arrive in form. You can’t ask for anything more.

Bill Cooney Matt Kuchar, Dustin Johnson
Adam Scott, Gary Woodland
Matt
Kuchar

Just look at his record at Kapalua: T9, T6, 3rd in last three starts where he's cracked 70 in 7 of 11 rounds. Killer short game always helps in the wind.

Brian Wacker Dustin Johnson, Matt Kuchar
Adam Scott, Webb Simpson
Matt
Kuchar

He had two wins, two runner-up finishes and four other top 10s last season. He has played well at Kapalua in the past, finishing 6th in 2011 and 3rd in 2010.

Mike McAllister Dustin Johnson, Matt Kuchar
Webb Simpson, Gary Woodland
Gary
Woodland

He found something near the end of last season, giving him momentum entering 2014.

Amanda Balionis Harris English, Dustin Johnson
Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar
Zach
Johnson
One of the hottest players to end his year, will continue that in his 7th start at Kapalua.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You'd certainly expect one of Scott, Kuchar, DJ or Webb to get the job done this week.  Short price favourites tend to get the job done at Kapalua.  The obvious tends to happen.  Off the lesser names I can see Woodland and Walker going very well and D.A. Points always thrives on longer Par 72 formats whether they be on bentgrass or bermudagrass greens.

I think this is one of the more visually beautiful courses on the tour.  They do a great job filming the tournament too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think this is one of the more visually beautiful courses on the tour.  They do a great job filming the tournament too.

And its such an appealing start of the season for me ... I love seeing golf on in the evening and then realizing that it's live!!

I'm also glad that Mike started this thread ... last year I tried that then the whole dang thing nearly got rained out!

I can't wait for this season. I've even structured my schedule to allow me more time Thursday - Sunday, especially once the big events happen. And, of course, the great way to start off the calendar year - even though it's now not the start of the season - is a Friday-Monday now. I'm very excited for this particular tournament, though, because I missed enough of last season that I can watch a few rounds of this to catch up; anyone I didn't remember winning, I can see why they're in the field.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

And its such an appealing start of the season for me ... I love seeing golf on in the evening and then realizing that it's live!! I'm also glad that Mike started this thread ... last year I tried that then the whole dang thing nearly got rained out!

Yeah, last year's tournament was ridiculous. Sponsorship tents blowing across the fairways!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Pulling for Scott as always, I think Spieth is going to be a good choice this week too.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Those are some crazy drives they're crushin.

"Oh, golf is for smellin' heather and cut grass and walkin' fast across the countryside and feelin' the wind and watchin' the sun go down and seein' yer friends hit some good shots and hittin' some yerself..."

Although I'm pulling for D.J to repeat, I'm also pulling for Zack to give him a run for his money. Must say, until Zack edged Tiger a few weeks ago, I wasn't that big of a Z.J. fan, the dude can golf. Would also like to see Jordan, and Matt do well.

Maui rocks..

Although I'm pulling for D.J to repeat, I'm also pulling for Zack to give him a run for his money. Must say, until Zack edged Tiger a few weeks ago, I wasn't that big of a Z.J. fan, the dude can golf. Would also like to see Jordan, and Matt do well. Maui rocks..

Zack makes me think of Hobbits. I wonder if he has hairy feet.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Zack makes me think of Hobbits. I wonder if he has hairy feet.

Interesting, why?

When I told my wife that Zach Johnson was in the lead yesterday, she said oh you mean Joaquin Phoenix?

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

• Administrator

I sent a tweet in Zach's direction last night watching some of the replay:

https://twitter.com/iacas/status/419691793748615168

Just saw @ZachJohnsonPGA talk about a putt that broke "up the hill." Color me doubtful on that one. #GravityAlwaysWins Good luck Zach.

— Erik J. Barzeski (@iacas) January 5, 2014

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I sent a tweet in Zach's direction last night watching some of the replay: [URL=https://twitter.com/iacas/status/419691793748615168]https://twitter.com/iacas/status/419691793748615168[/URL] Just saw [URL=https://twitter.com/ZachJohnsonPGA]@ZachJohnsonPGA[/URL] talk about a putt that broke "up the hill." Color me doubtful on that one. [URL=https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GravityAlwaysWins&src;=hash]#GravityAlwaysWins[/URL] Good luck Zach. — Erik J. Barzeski (@iacas) [URL=https://twitter.com/iacas/statuses/419691793748615168]January 5, 2014[/URL]

:doh:

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I sent a tweet in Zach's direction last night watching some of the replay:

https://twitter.com/iacas/status/419691793748615168

Just saw @ZachJohnsonPGA talk about a putt that broke "up the hill." Color me doubtful on that one. #GravityAlwaysWins Good luck Zach.

— Erik J. Barzeski (@iacas) January 5, 2014

Lake Merced got it

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

3 way tie going into Monday. I know it's late, but anyone wanna pick a winner..?

My heart goes out to Webb's caddies family, I hope their baby boy pulls through this tough time. So I'm hoping Webb wins it .

But being a D.J. fan I'd like to see D.J. push Webb a bit, and take a solid second.

Note: This thread is 3733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!