IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As a small business owner free time is not generally a luxury if you want some success. Especially if you have a family. Be prepared to get up very early. I am starting year four of a five year plan, which is probably still unrealistic. One year is tough, hopefully you have a lot of free time.

right now its still in formation so i am waiting. as far as keeping the business going. I'm hoping to spare an hour a day for practice and one round of golf a week. its online so i only have to place orders and answer calls. or so i assume haha

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

right now its still in formation so i am waiting. as far as keeping the business going. I'm hoping to spare an hour a day for practice and one round of golf a week. its online so i only have to place orders and answer calls. or so i assume haha

Good luck with the biz, that is cool. If you want to get to scratch, the hour of practice a day is a start. You should probably try to play at least 3 times per week as well.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@KyleAnthony ,

Keep us posted on your improvement.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Good luck with the biz, that is cool. If you want to get to scratch, the hour of practice a day is a start. You should probably try to play at least 3 times per week as well.

thank you i will try to get out more for rounds too. there is a pitch and putt course for like $10 where i can work on the worst part of my game, approach shots

@KyleAnthony,

Keep us posted on your improvement.

will do. i'll be playing golf thursday, friday, and my first tournament sunday. so should be a fun week

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Mondays - Long Irons, Putting, Chipping

Tuesdays - Short Irons, Sand, Putting

Wednesdays - Pitching, 3/4 Shots, Putting

Thursdays - Woods, Chipping, Putting

Fridays - Round of Golf

p.s. when i work on irons i do 1/3 bucket fade, 1/3 Straight, 1/3 Draw. this way i can use different approaches for different pin placements

Thats what i will be doing until my birthday, and after hopefully haha

Would recommend checking out this thread in case you haven't already.  Again, good to be specific not only about what you're practicing but how.

I also wouldn't get too caught up in curving the ball different directions, stick with a reliable pattern, you'll be better off in the long run.  Tour players do the same thing, 90% of the shots they hit is with their "stock" ball flight.  Zach Johnson hits push draws and Fred Couples hits fades.  Having a reliable ball flight pattern is going to be more beneficial than varying the curve for every shot.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Would recommend checking out this thread in case you haven't already.  Again, good to be specific not only about what you're practicing but how.

I also wouldn't get too caught up in curving the ball different directions, stick with a reliable pattern, you'll be better off in the long run.  Tour players do the same thing, 90% of the shots they hit is with their "stock" ball flight.  Zach Johnson hits push draws and Fred Couples hits fades.  Having a reliable ball flight pattern is going to be more beneficial than varying the curve for every shot.

thank you for the link. i normally hit a little fade for my natural shot. should i not try to fix this and just make it more consistent? i have been trying to fight it and hit it dead straight. haha

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

thank you for the link. i normally hit a little fade for my natural shot. should i not try to fix this and just make it more consistent? i have been trying to fight it and hit it dead straight. haha

If that is your natural shot, stick with it.  If as your swing changes your shot shape changes, so be it.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

haha feel free to send me the back scratcher haha. i set up a schedule for practice.

Mondays - Long Irons, Putting, Chipping

Tuesdays - Short Irons, Sand, Putting

Wednesdays - Pitching, 3/4 Shots, Putting

Thursdays - Woods, Chipping, Putting

Fridays - Round of Golf

p.s. when i work on irons i do 1/3 bucket fade, 1/3 Straight, 1/3 Draw. this way i can use different approaches for different pin placements

Thats what i will be doing until my birthday, and after hopefully haha

Good Luck with the business and the golf.

If I may I'd like suggest 2 things that help me.

First, keep and separate score card for each round tracking fairways ( hit or miss left or right), greens ( same add short or long and distance from hole) sand saves, penalty shots and putts. Put these in your journal or keep them as reference. Give a nice over view of weaknesses.

Second, I have a 4ft aluminum measuring stick. It has a hole in one end to hang on the wall. A ball rests in this hole quite nicely. Practice rolling putts keeping them in the center of the stick for the full 4ft. Really good for identifying square, open or closed contact with the putter. Also you can do this on a green or in your living room. In my case I use it all winter as I'm in Ontario, Canada with about 2 feet of snow.

Hope this helps and again. Good Luck.

Good Luck with the business and the golf.

If I may I'd like suggest 2 things that help me.

First, keep and separate score card for each round tracking fairways ( hit or miss left or right), greens ( same add short or long and distance from hole) sand saves, penalty shots and putts. Put these in your journal or keep them as reference. Give a nice over view of weaknesses.

Second, I have a 4ft aluminum measuring stick. It has a hole in one end to hang on the wall. A ball rests in this hole quite nicely. Practice rolling putts keeping them in the center of the stick for the full 4ft. Really good for identifying square, open or closed contact with the putter. Also you can do this on a green or in your living room. In my case I use it all winter as I'm in Ontario, Canada with about 2 feet of snow.

Hope this helps and again. Good Luck.

thank you for the tips. i need to work on my putting. last round i missed 6 short putts (under 10 feet) i track my stats on golflogix. so it saved my info cuz I'm terrible at keeping scorecards around haha. on my scorecard i do keep notes on my scorecard on what shots i messed up so i can work on them at the range. like last round i messed up a sand shot.

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Hitting is straight is not only really tough to do but you don't have a "buffer" if the shot doesn't come off perfect.  Golf is about how good your misses are.  I tend to prefer a slight draw but fades are fine as well as long as contact and height are good.

Let's say a stock shot is a 5 yard fade.  At address you set the face to where you want it to start, 5 yards left of the flag, if it stays straight, you're pin high left, if you over fade it you're probably just right of the flag but a little short of pin high and if the shot fades 5 yards you're stiff.  You're never to achieve the exact same face/path numbers over and over again, gotta give yourself some room for error.  You always want to be working the ball into the hole, a straight shot will tend to have the ball working away from the hole unless it's a perfect shot, which doesn't happen that often.  If you have a tough hole location or a hazard on one side of the green, a predictable ball flight can protect you from short siding or hitting it in the water.  A "straight" shot doesn't.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Hitting is straight is not only really tough to do but you don't have a "buffer" if the shot doesn't come off perfect.  Golf is about how good your misses are.  I tend to prefer a slight draw but fades are fine as well as long as contact and height are good.

Let's say a stock shot is a 5 yard fade.  At address you set the face to where you want it to start, 5 yards left of the flag, if it stays straight, you're pin high left, if you over fade it you're probably just right of the flag but a little short of pin high and if the shot fades 5 yards you're stiff.  You're never to achieve the exact same face/path numbers over and over again, gotta give yourself some room for error.  You always want to be working the ball into the hole, a straight shot will tend to have the ball working away from the hole unless it's a perfect shot, which doesn't happen that often.  If you have a tough hole location or a hazard on one side of the green, a predictable ball flight can protect you from short siding or hitting it in the water.  A "straight" shot doesn't.

ya i usually can predict my fade. but i come over the top and in steep so my misses are pulls, maybe 1 out of 15 is an over fade with an iron. but not more than 5 yards off target. if i stay calm and remember to swing down the target line my shots are within 15 feet of the pin. i just lose focus i guess or get to caught up in BSing with friends. I need to focus more

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

• Administrator

FWIW we will record some good high-speed video of everyone we can at the outing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

thank you for the tips. i need to work on my putting. last round i missed 6 short putts (under 10 feet) i track my stats on golflogix. so it saved my info cuz I'm terrible at keeping scorecards around haha. on my scorecard i do keep notes on my scorecard on what shots i messed up so i can work on them at the range. like last round i messed up a sand shot.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Beyond 6 feet the pro average is under 50% and these the best in the world. Unfortunately we only see the leaders, on TV, during the week. If we were able to see all of them we would see a ton of putts under 10' missed. Only the leaders for the week are making the majority of putts 6'-10'.

That measuring stick drill will really help with the short ones and hitting the putts square too your line.

• Administrator
Don't be too hard on yourself. Beyond 6 feet the pro average is under 50% and these the best in the world. Unfortunately we only see the leaders, on TV, during the week. If we were able to see all of them we would see a ton of putts under 10' missed. Only the leaders for the week are making the majority of putts 6'-10'.

That number was eight feet in 2013. At eight feet, the average PGA Tour player was 50%.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That measuring stick drill will really help with the short ones and hitting the putts square too your line.

oh wow i did not know that. i was happy with 31 putts in my last two rounds haha. ya sometimes with putting i lift and look at impact so i come over the top like in my normal swing so i pull some putts. =/ i'll have to try that drill tomorrow at the range

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

That number was eight feet in 2013. At eight feet, the average PGA Tour player was 50%.

Thanks for the correction. Here is the official PGA tour site....http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/09/25/best-worst-pga-tour-2013.html. Tour average from 5' 10' was 54.12%.

Scroll down and you will notice that only 5 players made all their putts from 3 feet and in.

My point to Kyle was not get frustrated by missing the putts he mentioned, inside 10 feet' when the best in the world don't make all of them. We all know how difficult this game can be at any level. If we add frustration, we put pressure on ourselves and that, in my opinion, makes the journey to becoming better more difficult.

oh wow i did not know that. i was happy with 31 putts in my last two rounds haha. ya sometimes with putting i lift and look at impact so i come over the top like in my normal swing so i pull some putts. =/ i'll have to try that drill tomorrow at the range

It can be difficult and will take some concentration, but try listening for the your putts to fall rather than watching them.

• Administrator
Thanks for the correction. Here is the official PGA tour site....http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/09/25/best-worst-pga-tour-2013.html. Tour average from 5' 10' was 54.12%.

That's 5-10' yes.

Scroll down and you will notice that only 5 players made all their putts from 3 feet and in.

Three foot putts are made over 99% of the time.

Here are the make percentages for 2013 on the PGA Tour:

My point to Kyle was not get frustrated by missing the putts he mentioned, inside 10 feet' when the best in the world don't make all of them.

They make more than people think, though. Seriously, over 50% from eight feet alone (and obviously well over 50% from eight feet AND IN).

Anyway, all a bit of a moot point, as putting is unlikely the biggest thing to work on right now, and even if it was, is something that can be improved remarkably in short order.

Note: This thread is 3612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!