IGNORED

Backspin… Good or Bad?

Note: This thread is 3735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok so lately i have been creating a lot of backspin with my irons. the other day i hit my 4 iron 205 and the ball ended up 1 inch past the pitch mark. as far as my irons 7i - 60* my ball spins back on the green. 3i-6i stop on a dot. is this good or would it be better to have roll out? i don't mind the stopping, but at the same time i would like a little roll out with my long irons. any thoughts?

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

The gallery will love it. They will cheer more for a shot that lands a foot past the pin and spins back to 15 feet than a shot that lands a foot from the pin and stays there.

Seriously: Sometimes a lot of spin is a useful thing and sometimes it's not. Being able to control the spin is important. I heard a guy in the clubhouse one day acting like he was proud that almost every shot he hit that day spun back off of the green. SMH!!!

The gallery will love it. They will cheer more for a shot that lands a foot past the pin and spins back to 15 feet than a shot that lands a foot from the pin and stays there.

Seriously: Sometimes a lot of spin is a useful thing and sometimes it's not. Being able to control the spin is important. I heard a guy in the clubhouse one day acting like he was proud that almost every shot he hit that day spun back off of the green. SMH!!!

hahahaha. ya i've spun it off and it drives me bonkers because my distance is right, but the spin effects it to much. any ideas on reducing spin on some shots? i have a steeper swing so i think that is part of the problem. i don't really want to change my whole swing just to reduce spin

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Several ways. More club, less club speed. Less negative angle of attack. Hands slightly more forward through impact to reduce loft (Same result as more club).

Do you play tennis? If you want the ball to have a lot of backspin you hit down through the ball at a steep angle. The faster you swing, the more loft on the racket, and the steeper the angle of attack, the more spin.

If you want the ball to have little or no backspin you hit through the ball on the path you want it to go.

Top spin doesn't apply to golf (hopefully) so I won't go there.

The golf club does the same thing to the ball.

Your 3-6 irons stop? Christ I wish I had that, than I could just aim at the flagstick. I usually have to take aim at the front of the green because I have a ton of rollout. I can get 7i - Wedges to stop but I've never seen any backspin yet. I think it'd be incredibly fun to aim over of the flagstick and have it spin back.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

You are probably hitting your irons way to high. I am guess being a 13 handicap your swing is pretty repeatable. By hitting a 4 iron 204 yards, you get good clubhead speed and contact. I am guess that you lack partially the first three keys and must flip at the ball. Your timing is good, so you don't hit them fat, but you have a very negative angle of attack, and increased loft by not having a flat wrist at impact. This would cause the ball to go very high. So it isn't much backspin, as it is the angle in which the ball descends into the green.

Just guessing

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As someone who can't spin the ball ... my thoughts aren't worth much, but if I were the OP, I would try a less spinny ball rather than change swing dynamics or club selection

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

As @saevel25 mentioned, it's possible you're just hitting it too high If you get on a launch monitor and your spin number are up, that's generally a good thing. You need speed and clean contact to spin the ball, both of which are good.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

It could also be soft greens. You can suck a driver back, but that doesn't mean you have too much backspin.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You are probably hitting your irons way to high. I am guess being a 13 handicap your swing is pretty repeatable. By hitting a 4 iron 204 yards, you get good clubhead speed and contact. I am guess that you lack partially the first three keys and must flip at the ball. Your timing is good, so you don't hit them fat, but you have a very negative angle of attack, and increased loft by not having a flat wrist at impact. This would cause the ball to go very high. So it isn't much backspin, as it is the angle in which the ball descends into the green.

Just guessing

i actually have a medium trajectory. which i like because i gets pretty windy where i play. do you think i should worry about it or learn the new distances?

As someone who can't spin the ball ... my thoughts aren't worth much, but if I were the OP, I would try a less spinny ball rather than change swing dynamics or club selection

ya i used to play the proV1x but changed to the bridgestone E5 which has helped a little bit, but it still stops. the shorter irons don't spin back as much which has really helped

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

It could also be soft greens. You can suck a driver back, but that doesn't mean you have too much backspin.

ya some courses out here have crazy soft greens. i can really tell those. maybe i need to play a course with more firm greens. anyone out here in so cal familiar with the greens? i don't think i've played enough courses to tell the difference. are greens in so cal softer than other areas???

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Note: This thread is 3735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!