cipher

Video Game Thread

357 posts / 41482 viewsLast Reply

On 11/19/2016 at 9:14 PM, stealthhwk said:

Need some help and dont belong to any gaming forums. Been out of gaming since my little boy was born. The wonderful Mrs replaced our aging p3 with a ps4 pro and my my, how things have changed?! So, quick question; we have some games on disc and theyre taking forever to load. I hear theres a way u can play while it finishes the download in the background but I haven't figured out how yet. Cant anyone help? 

As far as games go, its very early so far but Cod Infonite warfare looks to be cool and Titanfall 2 seems downright epic this far. 

Thanks and a fortunate respawn to all.

It depends on the games. If its available, it will usually prompt you. I have an Xbox One that I got for cheap when the One S came out this year, and it'll often prompt me that games are able to be opened while they're installing. For some games (EA's new PGA title) it would let me play the little demo, but for others (GTA 5) it wouldn't let me do anything until the install was complete. I'd say your best bet is to just wait for it to be completed.

In terms of games, I can give a couple of recommendations from what I've found and enjoyed, with a small bit of categorization:

FPS: 

• Battlefield 1 - Everybody I've talked to recommends this highly over Infinite Warfare, especially for the multiplayer
  • Destiny - It can feel a bit grind-ey at times, but it's a fun game to pick up to relax at the end of the day by mindlessly blowing up some aliens
  • GTA V - Not necessarily the best shooter, but it's a fantastic open world game. I would even go so far as to argue it's one of the better racing games on console on top of everything else. The story is fun to play through, and the gameplay is so diverse that it's hard to not recommend picking it up.
  • Mass Effect - The series is a lot of fun to play through. I know a lot of people are pissed off about the ending to Mass Effect 3 and the whole DLC snafu, but that doesn't mean the games aren't fun.
  • Battlefront - Fun Star Wars shooter. Obviously disappointing on some level due to the lack of campaign and the general grumbles, but if you play it as though it were any other shooter without looking at what came earlier in the series it's a solid game. I definitely enjoyed it, especially how the aerial combat matches the feel that it had in the movies with lots of fast paced dogfights and swooping evasions.

RPG:

• Witcher 3 - Fantastic game, beautiful world, fun gameplay. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
  • Fallout 4 - I prefer playing it on PC (just because that's where I first played it and it's easier to conserve ammo with better aim and headshots on PC), but it's still wonderful fun on console. Just make sure you have decent Agility so you can use VATS more frequently and it works out just fine, since the aim doesn't feel near as polished as Destiny (which, admittedly, has some assist)

Those are the games I've enjoyed the most and continue playing. The biggest problem I honestly have, with the games I currently own, is that I don't have time to enjoy them all properly. They're all solid titles, but I usually find myself playing only one or two for a while before rotating to a different couple of games. Keeps things fresh though, so I never feel like I have nothing to play or get sick of one game.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been lost in Bloodborne since getting it in November. An absolute gem of a game, best of it's generation.

maxresdefault.jpg

11 hours ago, Zeph said:

I've been lost in Bloodborne since getting it in November. An absolute gem of a game, best of it's generation.

maxresdefault.jpg

Dark Souls 2 was my first From Software game and I loved it. Bloodborne I played for maybe 8 hours max and never felt the urge to play again. It felt more tedious than challenging and the combat options were lacking.

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is awesome so far, although very different feel playing it as a FPS rather than as a third person like all other games, but it works.  Has the horror movie feel, with a little of the B-Movie funny dialect.  Jack is a hoot while he is chasing you all over the house.  Very creepy game.

I'm also knee deep in Metal Gear Solid, the Phantom Pain, which is also very good.  

I was at Target one day. I look over and they have a Nintendo Switch. So I bought it with the new Zelda game. Off the bat, I love this game. The culmination of their graphic design from Zelda: Wind Waker has lead to a gorgeous game. The biggest thing this game did was make it a true open world game. You can go everywhere. In other open world games they use things like rivers or mountains to keep you confined. In Breath of the Wild, you can swim everywhere, and climb everywhere. I just want to spend all my time exploring. So far I highly recommend this game just to experience the world that Nintendo has created. 

9 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Yeah.....pass on that... :poo: :poo: :poo:

I loved the Mass Effect games, and initially was excited to play Andromeda but for some reason I lost interest before it even released. 

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I loved the Mass Effect games, and initially was excited to play Andromeda but for some reason I lost interest before it even released. 

You didn't miss anything. I didn't even finish it. I hear the loyalty missions are the best part of the game, but i never got to them. Some of the new combat mechanics are nice, but overall Its the most lazy and shallow game Bioware has ever made. Which is disappointing. You're better off starting over with the original with a new character.

Haven't posted here in a while. I don't really have a lot of time for video games anymore but in the past year or so, I have played The Witcher 3 and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Both excellent games.

The wife and I started playing Don't Starve Together on PS4. It's quite fun and challenging.

I've been playing Middle Earth - Shadow of War, really like it this game.  Lots of fun killing Orcs while going through the Lord of the Rings mythos.  

Middle-earth_Shadow_of_War.thumb.jpg.20fc830c08d4aa11f606532e14640e89.jpg

Picked up a couple games during the steam sale.  Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, and Dragon's Dogma.  Both games are a bit older now but are entertaining.  Dragon's Dogma is what Skyrim should have been like.

Been playing Madden exclusively since I got PS4 Pro. Downloaded the latest rosters and have been running Denver Broncos franchise for the 4-WR pass heavy playbooks. Did fantasy draft and went with Deshaun Watson, Delanie Walker, and lightning fast WRs like John Ross. That 3-4 defense is great if you go with beastly linemen like JJ Watt, Kawann Short, and high play recognition LBs.

Tried MLB the Show, beautiful game with great mechanics, but it seems to really make my thumb go into carpal tunnel land. Madden isn’t quite so hard on the hands

Started playing Mario Odyssey on Nintendo Switch. Kinda disorienting since it's not the usual platformer game but pretty much everything about this is great.