cipher

Video Game Thread

355 posts / 41294 viewsLast Reply

I've watched a lot of speedruns on Twitch and it's pretty incredible how they can always keep improving the records. Super Mario Bros 1 is one of the most perfected games out there, where they are counting frames and milliseconds. A lot of these games are also being perfected with in Tool Assisted Speedruns (TAS), where they can manipulate inputs and pretty much choose inputs at every frame of a run, doing moves that are impossible for a human being. They will never beat a TAS, but are amazingly close.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/26/17905822/super-mario-bros-any-percent-speedrun-world-record

https://np.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/9ip34a/455_by_kosmic_smb1_wr_attempt_number_9/e6lfgwl/

Okay so here is the full story for those who didn't see it live.

Kosmic starts his stream around 10 PM EST to do some attempts. At that point his PB is a 4:56.462, essentially one framerule off the record.

One and a half hours into the stream, he ties somewes' WR with a 4:56.245. That in itself was a huge accomplishment and a pretty great run. He spends about a half hour timing and reviewing the run.

At this point, he could keep going for attempts. His 8-4 was not the most optimized, so he could still theoretically get an untied record with a cleaner ending. However, he decides to practice and implement a trick in 1-2 that would allow him to save an extra framerule (0.35s)

He practices this new trick for little over a half hour and starts attempts again. He has 8 runs that die really early on in 1-1 and 1-2. The VERY FIRST RUN that he nails the new trick is this run. Which ofc is absolutely bonkers.

99.9% of times, this run would have died to FPG, fast 4-2, BBG in 8-2, or any other glitch of the million that this run requires. But no, he carried it all the way through. I don't think I will ever see something so insane in speedrunning ever again. Huge congrats to Kosmic.

In other news, Red Dead Redemption 2 is out on October 26th. That will probably be my gaming highlight for 2018.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

In other news, Red Dead Redemption 2 is out on October 26th. That will probably be my gaming highlight for 2018

I keep hearing good things about it...  Debating on Black Ops 4... Cross platform play will be interesting. 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Seriously?

Holy crap, man. Particularly the part at about 13:30? Jeezus.

I've never paid any attention to speed running, but that was amazing. 

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

DarkSiders III coming in November! Such an underrated game. 

Yeah it is.  I picked up a bundle for Darksiders 1 and 2 on Steam for like 5 bucks a few years ago and was amazed it was that cheap.  Such a great all-around series.

19 minutes ago, jamo said:

I've never paid any attention to speed running, but that was amazing. 

I started watching them a few years ago. 

The insane ones are for Mario 64. 

Ocarina of Time has some interesting stuff. That game is really broken. 

1 hour ago, Strandly said:

Yeah it is.  I picked up a bundle for Darksiders 1 and 2 on Steam for like 5 bucks a few years ago and was amazed it was that cheap.  Such a great all-around series.

Definitely. Once I learned all about upgrading the possessed weapons and a few glitch tricks I really got into DS II. At level 30 with a set of scythes with 65% health steal..I was lovin’ it.

Now that I've completely rebuilt my PC to be pretty beastly, along with a 1440p 144hz monitor. I have been looking for something that will be fun to play but will also take advantage of the hardware I have, aka be graphically amazing. Destiny 2 at 1440p runs 120-144 fps basically all the time, but once I cap out my power level per expansion I get bored. I re-downloaded Skyrim SE, put a bunch of mods in place, but that game doesn't really support SLI so I have to cut back to 1 gpu. While it looks amazing it's not really as entertaining as it was when I played it before. I put so many hours into that game that it just doesn't hold my interest anymore. I have Fallout 4 that I never finished, I could mod that up to make it look really nice I suppose, but I really want to find a new game to play. Red Dead 2 won't be coming to PC for awhile, not sure I'm all that interested in Anthem, and even if I were it's not coming until late February from what I understand right now. So disappointing to put so much money and time into building my PC only to not have anything worthwhile to play.

Just in case anyone's curious as to my build:

i7 8700k @ 5ghz cooled by a 240mm AiO

16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz cs 16

Dual MSI Duke 1070 Ti's in sli

Samsung Evo 860 m.2 1 tb ssd

Seagate 2 TB hd

Corsair Gaming STRAFE silent mechanical keyboard

Logitech Proteus Spectrum mouse

AOC AGON 23.8" 1440p 144hz monitor

For PC Games if you liked Fallout 4's base building type stuff you could always give Fallout 76 a try. It's basically a big multiplayer version of the base building in Fallout 4. There's BFV if you don't mind all the controversy surrounding the game and like the FPS genre, or Overwatch for more of a "team shooter" type game. If you've got a joystick the game Elite Dangerous is a ton of fun, both just to explore/fly in space and for the combat and other gameplay.

For more single player games Assassin's Creed Odyssey also released on PC, and it's supposed to be a great game (I haven't been able to try it yet). I also enjoy the Hitman series, and their new game is pretty good in terms of the sheer number of options you have in every single mission. Don't know if you've tried The Witcher 3, but that's a game that definitely still holds up with both graphics and story.

Cyperpunk 2077 will release next June, which looks like it should be another good one.

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Now that I've completely rebuilt my PC to be pretty beastly, along with a 1440p 144hz monitor. I have been looking for something that will be fun to play but will also take advantage of the hardware I have, aka be graphically amazing. Destiny 2 at 1440p runs 120-144 fps basically all the time, but once I cap out my power level per expansion I get bored. I re-downloaded Skyrim SE, put a bunch of mods in place, but that game doesn't really support SLI so I have to cut back to 1 gpu. While it looks amazing it's not really as entertaining as it was when I played it before. I put so many hours into that game that it just doesn't hold my interest anymore. I have Fallout 4 that I never finished, I could mod that up to make it look really nice I suppose, but I really want to find a new game to play. Red Dead 2 won't be coming to PC for awhile, not sure I'm all that interested in Anthem, and even if I were it's not coming until late February from what I understand right now. So disappointing to put so much money and time into building my PC only to not have anything worthwhile to play.

Just in case anyone's curious as to my build:

i7 8700k @ 5ghz cooled by a 240mm AiO

16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz cs 16

Dual MSI Duke 1070 Ti's in sli

Samsung Evo 860 m.2 1 tb ssd

Seagate 2 TB hd

Corsair Gaming STRAFE silent mechanical keyboard

Logitech Proteus Spectrum mouse

AOC AGON 23.8" 1440p 144hz monitor

Nice.  I would have went with a 2080 TI over the 1070s actually, but the rest looks solid.

I'd try Deus Ex: Mankind Divided if you want to see a great looking game that takes some power to max out.

3 hours ago, Strandly said:

Nice.  I would have went with a 2080 TI over the 1070s actually, but the rest looks solid.

I'd try Deus Ex: Mankind Divided if you want to see a great looking game that takes some power to max out.

I already had one 1070ti with the high bandwidth bridge and was able to pick up a second for 300. I can't drop 1200 on a GPU, and in games that support sli the 1070ti's are right around 2080 level fps. I'l have to check that game out though, thanks for the suggestion.

4 hours ago, Pretzel said:

For PC Games if you liked Fallout 4's base building type stuff you could always give Fallout 76 a try. It's basically a big multiplayer version of the base building in Fallout 4. There's BFV if you don't mind all the controversy surrounding the game and like the FPS genre, or Overwatch for more of a "team shooter" type game. If you've got a joystick the game Elite Dangerous is a ton of fun, both just to explore/fly in space and for the combat and other gameplay.

For more single player games Assassin's Creed Odyssey also released on PC, and it's supposed to be a great game (I haven't been able to try it yet). I also enjoy the Hitman series, and their new game is pretty good in terms of the sheer number of options you have in every single mission. Don't know if you've tried The Witcher 3, but that's a game that definitely still holds up with both graphics and story.

Cyperpunk 2077 will release next June, which looks like it should be another good one.

I had thought about 76 but I dislike that it's forced multiplayer. Also, there are a lot of bugs in the game right now. I've never been a big fan of Battlefield, I had tried previous iterations of it and it just wasn't for me. I played OW for a little while, but I'm not nearly good enough to for that game. I don't have a joystick for Elite Dangerous. I have thought about Assassin's Creed and Hitman, but I've never been too great at playing stealth focused games, I'm a guns blazing style. I have heard Witcher 3 is supposed to be good, and also heard the books are a good read. Cyberpunk 2077 did look interesting to me, but yeah it's out there a ways. I'll have to see if there are any good cyber sales for the games you guys have mentioned.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

The nice part about Assassin's Creed and Hitman are you do get a bit of an option as to whether you prefer stealth or to go in guns blazing. I, too, am not super great at stealth games but still enjoyed those two titles (well, previous Assassin's Creed titles anyways) because you get to choose how you feel like approaching it and it only occasionally requires you to actually be stealthy. 

I got the collector's edition for Fallout 76 (specifically because I could resell the helmet to get the game for essentially free), and while it's fun it definitely does have a fair amount of bugs. It's multiplayer, though you do kind of have to seek out other players if you're hoping to play with them since each game session only seems to have a dozen or so players in it spread through the entire map.

If you ever end up giving Overwatch another try feel free to shoot me another PM and we could play a few games together. It's been one of my favorite games, even if I'm not the best at it or anything like that.

On 10/14/2018 at 10:30 AM, Valleygolfer said:

I keep hearing good things about it...  Debating on Black Ops 4... Cross platform play will be interesting. 

BO4 is about all I play. Im debating on getting red dead 2. Nuketown addition just came out and its crazy. Game is really fast paced, but i like it. Blackout is definitely a really good addition to the game. I don’t miss their campaigns, havent liked them since Ghosts. 

17 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

If you ever end up giving Overwatch another try feel free to shoot me another PM and we could play a few games together.

I made the mistake of doing this with my 12yr old boy and his friends...lol...same result with Fortnite....I was absolutely useless. Man these kids are good.....

21 minutes ago, phillyk said:

BO4 is about all I play. Im debating on getting red dead 2. Nuketown addition just came out and its crazy. Game is really fast paced, but i like it. Blackout is definitely a really good addition to the game. I don’t miss their campaigns, havent liked them since Ghosts. 

If you get Red Dead 2 I'm sure you won't regret it. I picked it up last week and got my wisdom teeth out on Monday, meaning I've had plenty of time to play it. I'm dozens of hours into it, only about 53% through the story, and still enjoying it completely. Most of my playtime has, admittedly, been streaming from my Xbox to my PC though just for convenience. It would be nice if they'd just let you install and play Xbox games on PC, even if use of a controller was forced for multiplayer games or those that didn't want to include support for keyboard and mouse.

I've put a considerable amount of hours into Red Dead Redemption 2 already and still got so much left. A remarkably good game. I recommend playing RDR1 first if possible. It's also a pretty long game, but really good, including the DLC.

8 hours ago, Zeph said:

I've put a considerable amount of hours into Red Dead Redemption 2 already and still got so much left. A remarkably good game. I recommend playing RDR1 first if possible. It's also a pretty long game, but really good, including the DLC.

RDR1 first? I thought RDR2 takes place before RDR1.... I played RDR1 years ago and enjoyed it from what I can remember.

11 hours ago, Pretzel said:

The nice part about Assassin's Creed and Hitman are you do get a bit of an option as to whether you prefer stealth or to go in guns blazing. I, too, am not super great at stealth games but still enjoyed those two titles (well, previous Assassin's Creed titles anyways) because you get to choose how you feel like approaching it and it only occasionally requires you to actually be stealthy. 

I got the collector's edition for Fallout 76 (specifically because I could resell the helmet to get the game for essentially free), and while it's fun it definitely does have a fair amount of bugs. It's multiplayer, though you do kind of have to seek out other players if you're hoping to play with them since each game session only seems to have a dozen or so players in it spread through the entire map.

If you ever end up giving Overwatch another try feel free to shoot me another PM and we could play a few games together. It's been one of my favorite games, even if I'm not the best at it or anything like that.

I've been watching a streamer play FO76 and it looks pretty fun, and so far I haven't seen the amount of annoying random people attacking him that I had expected so I may end up picking that up at some point when they fix the game bugs. I did pick up Witcher 3 goty edition, with everything completely maxed out I am able to stay locked at 60 fps, but I'm so used to playing at 90+ fps minimum that 60 fps seems to be bothering my eyes a little bit. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to break through the games 60 fps frame limiter. That said, the game does look really good graphically. **edit I may have originally missed the setting for unlimited fps or it may have showed up after I edited one of the files but I now have it unlocked and it's much better at 100+ fps** At some point I might look at OW again, part of the problem was I picked it up shortly after moving to PC so I was really not very good at KB/M making aiming and movement a pain.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

3 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

RDR1 first? I thought RDR2 takes place before RDR1.... I played RDR1 years ago and enjoyed it from what I can remember.

It is a prequel, yes, but also a sequel since it's a game based on the same universe and characters as RDR1, and released after RDR1. Since Rockstar made the first game first, I think it works better that way. You also don't have to go from a 2018 game to a 2010 game. Not that RDR1 is bad, it's an amazing game, but a lot happens in eight years.