cipher

Video Game Thread

357 posts / 41451 viewsLast Reply

Got an Xbox One off the son of a guy i work with before xmas for £80. Started off with Fallout 4 which is amazing, so atmospheric, looks fab sounds and plays great. Still hardly scratched the surface of it. Needed a golf game so bought The Golf Club 2 and have to say it's so far ahead of the EA titles.

The Tiger titles allowed youto play like the man himself, destroying the field by 20 shots. TGC2 allows you to play golf like you do in real life, leaving putts short, duffing chips, playing from the trees and making snowmen on par 3's.

Plus the sheer amount of well designed courses available make it superb. Sure the 2019 version has the PGA but for half the price TGC2 is just as good. Highly recommend it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I heard the gameplay for RDR2 isn't that impressive. The graphics are suppose to be topnotch though.

I am giving Super Smash Brothers Ultimate an "A". Super fun. I like the improvements to all the characters. They basically reduced lag and increased the speed. My go to characters are Roy, Chrome, and Pikachu

As for 2019, I am really excited for Athem. I might give Devil May Cry 5 a shot. I haven't played any of that series yet.

I am not sure it will get released this year, but I am really looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077.

On 1/24/2019 at 12:42 AM, saevel25 said:

I am not sure it will get released this year, but I am really looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077

Here is a geeky response for you. Based on this official picture released on Valentine's day last week, it is speculated that the '69' (see rifle) could refer to June 9, which is when Microsoft is expected to hold its E3 conference. The '112' (see rifle counter display) could tie in to a possible release date.

DzX7YMPX4AAkm-n.jpeg

Picked up a pair of 43" 4K monitors for my desktop and tried to play some games on the new settings.  Like I figured I'll need to upgrade a couple other things to make things playable on max settings at 4K.  Ha

Anyway, picked up a bunch of games during the holiday sale on Steam.

Galactic Civilization 3 is as fun as I hoped.

Stellaris is interesting.

Divinity: Original Sin is a solid RPG.

There are several more I haven't even touched because I know they'll be unplayable at 4K.

I'm loving RDR2. Completed it once and already started a second playthrough. It's not GTA, it's not The Witcher, it's not a fast paced shooter. It's a wonderful western open world game where the game is deliberately a bit slow. Every movement, every action, it takes a little bit of time and it looks damn well. The animations are probably the best I've seen in any game. And not just walking, running etc. Picking up stuff, getting on and off a horse. There will always be some that don't like a top rated game and make a point out of it. As usual from Rockstar, voice acting is incredible and the character gallery is pretty good.

I like all the random encounters, riding around to various locations, talking to people, collecting stuff. The missions are fine, typical Rockstar style, but they are too linear for my taste. You can't do very much differently than they intended before the mission fails. Not that I expect it to be Hitman levels of potential for variety, but they could've let our leash a bit longer.

RDR1 is one of my favorite games and now RDR2 is too.

I bought Forza Horizon 3 recently after loving the first two games. The Forza Horizon series is really the only playable racing game series I've found since Burnout Paradise and the Need For Speed Underground/Most Wanted era. Horizon 3 is no exception.

4 hours ago, Strandly said:

I'll need to upgrade a couple other things to make things playable on max settings at 4K

I am planning to build my next gaming PC; do you recommend buying one of those pre-built Dell Alienware or is it still cheaper to build my own? I don't care about fancy cases and lights.

My old AMD Crossfire dual-GPU was a waste of money and time.
It was never really supported well by many games and system drivers constantly had issues.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, RussUK said:

Got an Xbox One off the son of a guy i work with before xmas for £80. Started off with Fallout 4 which is amazing, so atmospheric, looks fab sounds and plays great. Still hardly scratched the surface of it. Needed a golf game so bought The Golf Club 2 and have to say it's so far ahead of the EA titles.

The Tiger titles allowed youto play like the man himself, destroying the field by 20 shots. TGC2 allows you to play golf like you do in real life, leaving putts short, duffing chips, playing from the trees and making snowmen on par 3's.

Plus the sheer amount of well designed courses available make it superb. Sure the 2019 version has the PGA but for half the price TGC2 is just as good. Highly recommend it.

Have you created any courses on TGC2? I play on PC but I will try them out if you've created any. This game is the best true sim golf game. You should try out

26 minutes ago, jamo said:

I bought Forza Horizon 3 recently after loving the first two games. The Forza Horizon series is really the only playable racing game series I've found since Burnout Paradise and the Need For Speed Underground/Most Wanted era. Horizon 3 is no exception.

I've always liked Gran Turismo for the true sim and Need For Speed for the more arcade gameplay.

Does anyone else play Golf Star from Com2Us on their phone or tablet?  It's a popular massive multiplayer online game where you develop characters and equipment, compete against each other individually or as a team.  I've been playing it for several years, lots of fun.

2 hours ago, Nave said:

I am planning to build my next gaming PC; do you recommend buying one of those pre-built Dell Alienware or is it still cheaper to build my own? I don't care about fancy cases and lights.

It was never really supported well by many games and system drivers constantly had issues.

PCPartPicker and build your own is the way to go I think. Then again, if your flyaway to build is the same as or close enough to the pre-builts I guess there's some value in getting whatever warranty or guarantee they offer. 

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

Played and beat Resident Evil 2 Remake, very cool game.  Very difficult but awesome game.  

My 12yr old is destroying this game. I tell ya it amazes me how good these kids are. I had him play Dragons Lair...only took two trys and he did the whole thing. On another note, I’m really disappointed with Darksiders 3. Still in the beginning but not near as engaging as 2 imo. Graphics are excellent but the load times between events and die/restart are way too long. Not a fan of her whip either.

3 hours ago, Nave said:

I've owned 2 Dells over the years and they were the only computers I've ever owned that had stuff break on them.  Absolute garbage machines, and ironically they were the most money I've ever spent on computers.  I will never, EVER buy a Dell again for the rest of my life.  Alienware I think has always been incredibly overpriced but simply being owned by Dell now is enough to ensure that I personally would never touch one of those machines either.

Anyway, I built my current machine several years ago after buying all the parts off newegg.  It's the first time I've done it and I'll never go back to buying pre-built machines, so yeah I'd definitely recommend doing it yourself.  GPUs are a bit of a bugbear still because the stupid bitcoin miners buy them up and make the prices insane.  The dual GPU SLI/Crossfire stuff is kind of a fad I think but even if it wasn't I think the bitcoin nonsense would make it unaffordable anyway.  A top of the line card will probably run you $1000-$1400.

Lastly, I do have the items I need wish-listed on newegg so I can watch the prices but I have a feeling I won't be buying anything until the black friday/cyber monday sales next fall.  It seems like the only time you can get things at decent prices.

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Played and beat Resident Evil 2 Remake, very cool game.  Very difficult but awesome game.  

Best game ever made: RE2 

Second best game ever made: RE2 Remastered/Remake

I've completed the original three times.

@Squid_350 and @Strandly I did not expect these answers, thanks a lot. That made me think.

Specially the idea of wish-listing and buying the parts as I build the system over time, is exactly what I'll be doing. 

I'm selling my old PC tomorrow as we're in the process of relocating. Time for a new beast.

8 hours ago, jamo said:

I got Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7 for Christmas this last year and have been playing them since. They're both good games, in different ways. Horizon 4 is great fun to just sit back and relax at the end of the day, and Motorsport 7 is the best competitive racing game experience I've had.

I just looked over IGN's list of top 48 games to be released in 2019, and I don't think one of them peaked my interest. I wonder if there is going to be a slow down as the nex-gen consoles are looking to be released in 2020 or 2021.

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I got Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7 for Christmas this last year and have been playing them since. They're both good games, in different ways. Horizon 4 is great fun to just sit back and relax at the end of the day, and Motorsport 7 is the best competitive racing game experience I've had.

I used to be really big into the main Forza series, but after the 4th game or so it all felt really repetitive. I like the Horizon series because they do a great job of varying up the landscapes (which are already more fun to me than the tracks), and I've always preferred more of an arcade style anyway.