cipher

Video Game Thread

357 posts / 41481 viewsLast Reply

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I just looked over IGN's list of top 48 games to be released in 2019, and I don't think one of them peaked my interest. I wonder if there is going to be a slow down as the nex-gen consoles are looking to be released in 2020 or 2021.

What about Death Stranding? No exact date but isn’t it slated for 2019?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/21/2019 at 12:19 PM, Nave said:

@Squid_350 and @Strandly I did not expect these answers, thanks a lot. That made me think.

Specially the idea of wish-listing and buying the parts as I build the system over time, is exactly what I'll be doing. 

I'm selling my old PC tomorrow as we're in the process of relocating. Time for a new beast.

Good luck! Prices are better now without the bitcoin miners driving video card demand, SSD's have become practically cheap... not a bad time to be in the market. 

The recent SSD prices are fantastic, honestly. In 2011 when I built my first PC I paid $150 for a 128gb off-brand (Adata) SSD. When I upgraded some parts in late 2017 I paid $150 for a 512gb Crucual M.2 SSD. Today I could pay the same price, $150, for a Crucual 1TB M.2 SSD, $148 for a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, $126 for a 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD, or $100 for a 960GB Adata SSD. It's literally $50 cheaper than it was 8 years ago to receive 10x the storage, and the storage for the same price has doubled in just the last year or so. 

Now if only we could get DDR4 RAM prices to start following the same trend...

On 2/21/2019 at 9:55 PM, Eric C said:

Does anyone else play Golf Star from Com2Us

I used to play it. I even spent about $50 on in-game items such as better clubs and skills. However after an app update all my purchased items were deleted and Com2us customer service refuses to correct the issue. I even have the credit card record and the official Com2us email invoice for my purchases.

I certainly won't play another Com2us game ever again.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, Vinsk said:

What about Death Stranding? No exact date but isn’t it slated for 2019?

I'll have to take a look into it when more info comes out.

Looking forward to Phoenix Point which is supposed to release in September, but have a feeling my laptop isn't going to meet minimum specs to play it 😢

Have any of you played The Golf Club 2019? The game play is challenging, and the course creator feature is really cool. I have been working on building a replica of the small course in my hometown.  

8 hours ago, chicub15 said:

Have any of you played The Golf Club 2019? The game play is challenging, and the course creator feature is really cool. I have been working on building a replica of the small course in my hometown.  

I play The Golf Club 2 on PC. I thought about buying the 2019 version.

Apex Legends is big now if anyone is into Battle Royale FPS and it's free.

I keep almost buying The Golf Club then reading the reviews and backing off. I'm sad that I wasn't "into golf" during the Tiger Woods Golf heyday. I wish EA would give the franchise another go. 

I've played Apex a bit too. Enjoying it. Fortnite tried to inflate the active user numbers and offered a few challenges to get a free battle pass for the coming season. I did about a third of them then realized my gripe with Fortnite - I'm doing challenges instead of trying to shoot people. Stupid. 

Hope Apex continues to do well. Competition is good, it'll drive improvement in the whole battle royale space.

I'm enjoying Apex Legends, it's great fun to play with friends. I like the idea of returning someone who's been killed to the game through their banner and drop ship mechanic, and the movement mechanics (such as sliding) that carried over from the Titanfall games are fantastic. 

To me it's got just the right balance to discourage camping and encourage actually moving in to engage. To win in Fortnite you have to be a master builder, in that it's almost more important than the gunplay itself to be able to build up defenses and such. A cool mechanic, but not my cup of tea. PUBG rewards camping a lot, since sniping is so strong and armor has durability. If you get into a lot of fights, you're going to be weaker later on when it counts because you'll never have full strength body armor and helmets. It's also just a buggy mess despite being released years ago and making millions of dollars, which was funny for a while but loses its charm quickly. 

My only real complaint about Apex is the random crashes, I haven't really managed to find a fix for that yet. I imagine the developers are probably working on something, but it's still frustrating.

Just remember to ping every Mozambique you see on the ground, it's important people know where to find the best gun in the game.

I kept up a bit with E3. I am looking forward to the following,

1. Cyberpunk 2077 - Keanu is on FIRE!!!
  2. Sequel to Breath of the Wild - Can we finally play as Zelda!!!!
  3. I am a bit underwhelmed with Smash Brother's DLC. I never played Dragon Quest or Banjo. Still, I am a big Smash fan.
  4. Final Fantasy VII Update

I might try Cyberpunk one day, but the theme is not my favorite.

TLOU2 will probably be played some day. Just gotta play TLOU first...

My highlight from E3 was Elden Ring, which will be a guaranteed buy. I just finished Sekiro, which was a fresh and different take on FROMs Soulsborne style. The combat was very fun and engaging, but once I got the hang of it, I still prefer the combat of Bloodborne.

On 2/22/2019 at 12:55 PM, Pretzel said:

The recent SSD prices are fantastic, honestly. In 2011 when I built my first PC I paid $150 for a 128gb off-brand (Adata) SSD. When I upgraded some parts in late 2017 I paid $150 for a 512gb Crucual M.2 SSD. Today I could pay the same price, $150, for a Crucual 1TB M.2 SSD, $148 for a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, $126 for a 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD, or $100 for a 960GB Adata SSD. It's literally $50 cheaper than it was 8 years ago to receive 10x the storage, and the storage for the same price has doubled in just the last year or so. 

Now if only we could get DDR4 RAM prices to start following the same trend...

Yeah I've had the Samsung 4 TB SSD bookmarked for almost a year on newegg and Amazon.  It was $1500 or something ridiculous at first and now it's $600.  I'd be comfortable buying it at $600 but since I'm in no hurry I'll probably wait for for black friday and see if it drops some more.  I bought my current 500 GB SSD for about $400 6 years ago and it was one of the biggest SSDs at the time so I agree the trend with these things is nice.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:52 AM, Zeph said:

I might try Cyberpunk one day, but the theme is not my favorite.

TLOU2 will probably be played some day. Just gotta play TLOU first...

My highlight from E3 was Elden Ring, which will be a guaranteed buy. I just finished Sekiro, which was a fresh and different take on FROMs Soulsborne style. The combat was very fun and engaging, but once I got the hang of it, I still prefer the combat of Bloodborne.

I'm not much of a fan of the cyberpunk theme either but I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually.  It's really the only AAA title game I've heard anything about for 2019 which seems odd.  Maybe that means there's a lot of good things lined up for 2020.

Wow, the Golf Club is only $20-$22 on Amazon with Prime. May have to give that a shot. I hate the joystick swing controls though, got some ortho issues and can't really play those well as my thumbs just want to fall off sometimes.

9 minutes ago, Sidehatch said:

Wow, the Golf Club is only $20-$22 on Amazon with Prime. May have to give that a shot. I hate the joystick swing controls though, got some ortho issues and can't really play those well as my thumbs just want to fall off sometimes.

Golf Club is free with xbox live right now. But that game sucks balls.