IGNORED

My Swing (David in FL)

David in FL
Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As long as you do some mirror work at home, like Erik said, 5-10 minutes a day, it's amazing how that can help. Might be the best practice, for making changes, that you can do.

You don't have to be beating balls for hours a day to make the changes and play better

And when you do go to the range, try to film a few swings and check for yourself. You have a good idea (if you don't post the vid here) of where you need to be. So you can validate that you're making the picture change. It may feel like the left shoulder, left hip went down enough, but what does the camera say?

Not saying you have to spend your entire range session filming every swing, if you've got an hour, spend a half hour on slow swings making the picture change. Film a couple swing. Exaggerate the feel, even if you duff it. Then for the second half hour, practice full motion swings and hitting shots towards targets and not "thinking" about your swing.

Thanks.  Quick question for you and Erik.  GD's thread made me remember......

Other than the push (which is getting better), the one struggle I had was that I seemed to be getting a little chunky with some shots.  Not really fat, just a groove or two high.  In looking at my video, it seemed to me that I was awfully hunched over through the downswing so I began trying to straighten my left leg through impact.  That seems to have helped, and may even be getting my weight forward a little better too, but I figured I'd better ask.  Is that ok?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Other than the push (which is getting better), the one struggle I had was that I seemed to be getting a little chunky with some shots.  Not really fat, just a groove or two high.  In looking at my video, it seemed to me that I was awfully hunched over through the downswing so I began trying to straighten my left leg through impact.  That seems to have helped, and may even be getting my weight forward a little better too, but I figured I'd better ask.  Is that ok?

It depends on when it happens. Remember Dave had you feeling like you "landed" on your front foot. So if you do that, and begin extending the leg at about the time when the shaft is horizontal on the downswing (~A6), yes, you extend then. Just don't do it prematurely or you can start wiping the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It depends on when it happens. Remember Dave had you feeling like you "landed" on your front foot. So if you do that, and begin extending the leg at about the time when the shaft is horizontal on the downswing (~A6), yes, you extend then. Just don't do it prematurely or you can start wiping the ball.

Got it.  Thanks.

Played yesterday.  Didn't shoot 78, shot 80..... :8)

Not displeased though.  2 bogies and 3 doubles brought on by two bad swings and an unplayable lie in a bunker, and I had reasonable bogey putts on all three.  Struck the ball relatively well and felt good getting around the course.

In David's bag....

An unintended benefit.... Played yesterday. Cold and WINDY. Dave and Erik had me practicing hitting a lot of smooth, tight little 3/4 punch shots and I've continued to do that to ingrain the swing feels. I played a TON of those in the wind and hit 9 greens and shot a tidy little 78 under tough conditions. One double due to a poor club selection early on and missed 3 birdies under 8 feet. Best I've felt after a round of golf in a month. Let's see how we do on Sunday.....
  • Upvote 2

In David's bag....

• Administrator

An unintended benefit....

Played yesterday. Cold and WINDY. Dave and Erik had me practicing hitting a lot of smooth, tight little 3/4 punch shots and I've continued to do that to ingrain the swing feels. I played a TON of those in the wind and hit 9 greens and shot a tidy little 78 under tough conditions. One double due to a poor club selection early on and missed 3 birdies under 8 feet.

Best I've felt after a round of golf in a month. Let's see how we do on Sunday.....

Very nice!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Perfect, your Rat Bastard© buddies are probably just starting to view you as easy meat and now you're starting to own your new improved swing! Ka-Ching!! ! :-$

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Perfect, your Rat Bastard© buddies are probably just starting to view you as easy meat and now you're starting to own your new improved swing! Ka-Ching!!!:-$

I wouldn't say that I "own" anything, except that damn 7.1 index that stares me in the face every time I log on here, and boy howdy, has that cost me some $'s over the last 6 weeks or so! But, it's comin'.....I can feel it.....it's comin'.....

In David's bag....

I wouldn't say that I "own" anything, except that damn 7.1 index that stares me in the face every time I log on here, and boy howdy, has that cost me some $'s over the last 6 weeks or so!

But, it's comin'.....I can feel it.....it's comin'.....

To put things in perspective, I would give my left nut to have that index.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

I wouldn't say that I "own" anything, except that damn 7.1 index that stares me in the face every time I log on here, and boy howdy, has that cost me some $'s over the last 6 weeks or so!

But, it's comin'.....I can feel it.....it's comin'.....

Just wait till you start hitting the ball really really well. You'll shoot something like 6 over par for 18 holes you will think, "Shit I left shots on the course". Right now you would probably stand on the 18th green and praise high heaven for shooting single digit round of golf, but its all about perspective. What makes golf great, at every level there is always a strive for the better.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I wouldn't say that I "own" anything, except that damn 7.1 index that stares me in the face every time I log on here, and boy howdy, has that cost me some $'s over the last 6 weeks or so!

But, it's comin'.....I can feel it.....it's comin'.....

In this case I think feel is real ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I hear this a lot ... I even say it occasionally. Now I'm curious though ... What is so special about a right nut, that nobody would ever give it up?

That might affect your weight shift in the golf swing...No?... :-D

I hear this a lot ... I even say it occasionally. Now I'm curious though ... What is so special about a right nut, that nobody would ever give it up?

How would they know which nut is missing if there is only one there when you look down? It's not like looking at a right hand or foot.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

One day I'll have to show you my right nut, then you'll understand. She's a real beauty!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Just wait till you start hitting the ball really really well. You'll shoot something like 6 over par for 18 holes you will think, "Shit I left shots on the course". Right now you would probably stand on the 18th green and praise high heaven for shooting single digit round of golf, but its all about perspective. What makes golf great, at every level there is always a strive for the better.

True dat.

My personal feeling of self-worth directly correlates to whether my last score started with a "7" or not.  I have one buddy who wants to throw up and sell his clubs after shooting 78, and any number who get giddy with excitement if they even threaten to break 90.

Silly game......

In this case I think feel is real

Thanks Mike, I sure hope so.  I'm starting to hit greens again and I think my dispersion is getting better than it was, even previously when my index was poking into the high 4's. :beer:

79 yesterday, but I had to make a 50 foot putt on 18, but that kind of made up for 2 back-to-back doubles and some shorter missed putts.  Overall, I really feel better than the scoring trend would suggest.

In David's bag....

The feeling better part might also be partly due to your new swing taking a lesser toll on your body.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 2 weeks later...

Range session on Saturday.....

Even in the slow mo practice, it looks like I still have a bit of a tendency to get the club outside and remain a bit flat.  Working to feel like I'm really stretching my right side, and that seems to be helping.

I've begun to use alignment sticks and am absolutely SHOCKED at how far right I tend to set up.  In this DTL I "feel" as if I'm aimed at the white building behind my hip.

Sorry for the cut off below..... apparently I'm still a bit technologically challenged.  You WILL note that my videos are now shot horizontally though..... :-D

My head appears steadier than before and I'm not coming off the ball as much as previously, but it looks like I should turn my feet out even more.  That should help with my turn, right?  I think I need to get my weight a little more forward at address with a little more shaft lean.

Comments?  Old dog, new tricks for sure.  Thanks guys......

In David's bag....

Hi David,

I'm obviously no expert, but I'm also working on very similar things so maybe you'll find my comments relevant (my weight is WAY on my heels, and my shaft is too upright at address). Based on my evolvr lesson, I think that they would also tell you that your hands could be moved forward at address. They tell me the butt of the club should point near the mid-thigh. You appear to point much further inside that.

They also have me working on shallowing the club at the top of the backswing. See this video from Mike on Kyle (on Operation Single Digit)--> http://thesandtrap.com/t/71817/operation-single-digits-2014/648#post_965064

Have they given you that guidance yet? I'm doing it in slow motion, but having trouble taking it to the range. Good luck!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!