IGNORED

Does moderate drinking help loosen up your muscle to play better golf?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see a lot of folks drinking and playing golf.   Does anyone find drinking helpful in relaxing one's muscle and help play better?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How could anyone do anything better after drinking..??  I think it's been proven that you certainly can't drive better.

In golf motor skills are paramount, alcohol defeats that.

A small amount of alcohol will relax antagonistic muscles, and help reduce any mental anxiety. It does dehydrate you, though.

I would not recommend any artificial stimulants or PEDs.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Hmmm... could this be Key #6 @iacas?

I know the Olympics forbid this particular stimulant in archery.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Moderate drinking makes you think you are playing better. Heavy drinking makes you not care one way or the other. :-)

There was a guy on our team last summer who's back was hurting on the front nine so badly he could barely play. Another guy in the group told him he had something for him at the turn that would help.

He went to his car and got a bottle of whiskey and told him to drink it while everybody got a hotdog. Seemed to work because he birdied the 10th, 11th, and 12th holes. Coincidence I'm sure but we got a laugh out of it.

Unfortunately he kept on drinking and got progressively worse after that and never came close to anything better than bogey. On the 18th tee box he tried to hit his driver as hard as he could and hit about a foot behind the ball digging a 3 inch deep trench all the way to the ball where the club ground to a stop about an inch away from the ball, never touching it.

The guy that gave him the whiskey looked at me and said "I think I overcooked it".

One of my first rounds of golf was with a 70 year old who was late for his tee time.

I was told that I may have to go and find him that he would more likely be "warming up"... in the Clubhouse.

So in I went to get him and he was there with his pint of Guinness and whiskey chaser.

On we went for our round and the guy kept going to his bag every couple of holes for his hip flask for more whiskey.

He hit it straight as an arrow all day and was a solid golfer.

When I got back to the Clubhouse I learned that instead of the 1 pint and 1 chaser I had seen him with, he had actually had 4 pints and 4 chasers in total.

God knows how much he drank out of the hip flask during the round.

I wouldn't have been able to stand, let alone play golf.

It's sad to see really, I'm guessing he never had the yips before, how could you worry about a putt when you're busy worrying about standing up.

I've played hungover before and I wouldn't do it again.

I was more relaxed but only because I had an excuse for playing crap.

A friend of mine never went anywhere unless he knew he could drink.

We played one afternoon and I was even through 9. We had a beer on the 10th hole and I went on to bogey 10, doubled 11 and 12.

That was 10 years ago and I haven't had a drink during a round since.

Paul

I've found that a beer or two can be helpful. More than that, though, bad things happen. So if two beers meets your definition of moderate drinking, then yes.

From a literal standpoint, I'd be curious to get a doctor's take on the actual short-term affect of alcohol on muscles. I would think that any positive effects from drinking would be due to a general calming of the nervous system, and not loosening of muscles, per se.

Tyler Martin

I do not believe that drinking helps your physical ability to play golf in any real way.  That said, I pretty much always grab a can of beer before heading to the first tee, and that is often on top of one I've had with lunch. (I'm mostly an afternoon golfer. :-)  I'm a 200+ pounder with 12-pack abs, so with some food in my stomach I can soak up a couple of light beers without getting that much of a buzz.

It seems to brighten my attitude. :beer:

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I vote for it becoming the 6th!!! It can fall under the mental game :-D

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

I vote for it becoming the 6th!!! It can fall under the mental game

I figured it would just blend into Key #1 - Steady Head

• Upvote 1

Tyler Martin

Take an analogy. The whole drinking helps musicians is bunk. Speaking from personal experience, one drink, you start missing notes here and there. Two, it becomes difficult to read music at your normal rate. Three, mistakes everywhere. Four, you are toast. Maybe if you're drinking, with some help from MJ or even harder stuff, you'll come up with some amazing tune. Which you'll probably forget in a couple of hours.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Take an analogy. The whole drinking helps musicians is bunk. Speaking from personal experience, one drink, you start missing notes here and there. Two, it becomes difficult to read music at your normal rate. Three, mistakes everywhere. Four, you are toast. Maybe if you're drinking, with some help from MJ or even harder stuff, you'll come up with some amazing tune. Which you'll probably forget in a couple of hours.

The opposite is true for improvised music like Jazz. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I have never equated playing golf and drinking. I'm not sure why. I don't have an issue with knocking back a few beers and I love to play golf, but it just never made sense for me to combine the two.

I would think that it would be difficult to stay focused and in rhythm on the course when drinking, but that's just my opinion.

One or two - golf, karate, pool playing (and more) gets better (learning to relax without the liquor seems it would be a double win - better play without the tradeoff due to alcohol, but I suspect that the relaxation effect is helpful, but, like everything else, if you overdo it, the negatives will overtake the benefits)

3 or 4 - well, that's that just makes the playing partners more fun to be around.

any more? - YMMV

(I'm not really much of a drinker at all, so a little bit goes a long way.  But on the course, it just seems right to have a bloody mary in the cupholder)

Bill - 

About a year ago I played Streamsong Resort in Nowhereville, Fl. Beautiful track. It was their grand opening special event. Free food...and free drinks.

I played reasonably well & had a shot at breaking 80. Each time the beverage girl would come around I would only get a Gatorade or something non-alcoholic. But I double-bogeyed the 16th hole which kicked away any shot at breaking 80. She appeared right at that point & said "I make a mean Margarita," so I had one. She was right...it was good. I then birdied 17 & parred 18 for an 81.

So, this extremely unscientific event has led me to conclude that "ONE drink" can certainly help you to relax & perhaps play better. :-D

Note: This thread is 3714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!