IGNORED

My Swing (Mackingchicken)

mackingchicken
Note:Β This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Here it is. Me attempting to keep that head still!

need to fix my shoulders still, get it twisting downwards more then flat!

Have fun with it, MAKE THE PICTURE CHANGE. Do it at 30% speed if you have to. You can't make changes swinging at full speed. Put a club across your shoulders and practice what Erik is doing at the 4 min mark in this video.

Careful macking. The keys never mention keeping your head still. "Still" is not what the 5SK guys have seen in common with the best swings. Re-read that key on "steady head" and see the difference. Subtle but important.

I think he understands this don't you @mackingchicken ? We do say clarify it by calling Key #1Β relatively steady. Basically it means we want to limit side to side movement of the head and allow forΒ some vertical changes, especially on the downswing.Β There is definitely rotation. So the head isn't "still" meaning it's not locked in place.

Practice turns with a sock under each arm about and inch down from the armpit.Β . Try to keep the pressure under that location longer in the back swing as you make a turn. I am not saying SQUEEZE the living crap out of the sock. Just make sure there is a nice subtle pressure there to keep the sock in place.Β Just work on getting the turn earlier and quicker. The swing will feel like a TON of body and a slight raise with the arms/hands at the end.

I think that would be a decent drill for him, arms wouldn't be able to lift so he'd have to turn a little steeper.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
@iacasΒ and @mvmacΒ I am wondering if the shoulder angle (the 41* drawn across Eric's shoulders in the video) should change as the club gets longer. Particularly wondering about driver and 3wΒ relative to, say, a 7 iron. Thanks!

FWIW, 41Β° was that day. I'm typically closer to about 35Β°.

And surprisingly, no, that angle doesn't change much from club to club. Lots of people think that you're more bent over with a wedge than a driver, but if you measure Tour pros, they're within a few degrees on just about every club in their set.

2011:

Note that the angle of the arms will change a bit. But generally speaking the length of the club + the lie angle will let you set up with about the same inclination.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

ApologiesΒ @mackingchickenΒ if this question is not useful you, or if this is a stupid question in generalΒ . . .

@iacasΒ and @mvmacΒ I am wondering if the shoulder angle (the 41* drawn across Eric's shoulders in the video) should change as the club gets longer. Particularly wondering about driver and 3wΒ relative to, say, a 7 iron. Thanks!

all questions are helpfull!

Have fun with it, MAKE THE PICTURE CHANGE. Do it at 30% speed if you have to. You can't make changes swinging at full speed. Put a club across your shoulders and practice what Erik is doing at the 4 min mark in this video.

I think he understands this don't you @mackingchicken? We do say clarify it by calling Key #1Β relatively steady. Basically it means we want to limit side to side movement of the head and allow forΒ some vertical changes, especially on the downswing.Β There is definitely rotation. So the head isn't "still" meaning it's not locked in place.

I think that would be a decent drill for him, arms wouldn't be able to lift so he'd have to turn a little steeper.

Will be doing this drill a lot from now on.

Will also try the socks under the arms thing but I thought that drill was to stop chickenwings??

yeah I think I understand key 1 pretty well

I have also been playing with the 'toes up' drill and feel it is working

Will be doing this drill a lot from now on.

Yeah andΒ feel free to film yourself doing the drill. Even though this is your "swing" thread, it's really all about your development and not every video has to be a full motion swing.

Mike McLoughlin

I'm just going to throw something out there. It's a feel so it may it may not help you but it is worth trying. On the backswing try pointing your lead shoulder directly at the ball, work it DOWN and back so if you were to draw a line from your trail shoulder to your lead shoulder and extend it downwards it would be pointing at the ball. This feeling really helped me get a better shoulder turn. I go back to this feel whenever I find myself too level with my shoulder turn.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

I'm just going to throw something out there. It's a feel so it may it may not help you but it is worth trying. On the backswing try pointing your lead shoulder directly at the ball, work it DOWN and back so if you were to draw a line from your trail shoulder to your lead shoulder and extend it downwards it would be pointing at the ball. This feeling really helped me get a better shoulder turn. I go back to this feel whenever I find myself too level with my shoulder turn.

Yeah thats the feeling I was kinda trying to get when I was practicing it! I got that of a Mark Crossfeild vid on youtube!

So annoying, moving house and back at uni has made me not be able to play or practice for almost two weeks. Feel I was just getting some nice tempo and now I feel next time I pick up a club I will have lost everything. Is this something to worry about and tips on my first range session to try and get back into rhythm?

So annoying, moving house and back at uni has made me not be able to play or practice for almost two weeks. Feel I was just getting some nice tempo and now I feel next time I pick up a club I will have lost everything. Is this something to worry about and tips on my first range session to try and get back into rhythm?

Just keep doing that stick across the shoulders drill.

Mike McLoughlin

will do, with the drill can you give me some direction of what my hips want to be doing?

Same stuff, turning on a tilted angle. Left "bends" down, right "stretches" up.

Mike McLoughlin

This is my just doing some backswing reps, trying to get that shoulder turn happening.

Any closer?

Yes, I think you're on the right track. Arms may be getting a little too far above your shoulder plane but I'll leave that to the experts.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

Yes, I think you're on the right track. ArmsΒ mayΒ be getting a little too far above your shoulder plane but I'll leave that to the experts.

yep my exact thoughts but I notice my swing has always been a bit above it but I feel its creeping up even more haha.

This is my just doing some backswing reps, trying to get that shoulder turn happening.

Any closer?

Looks better. Make some swings with your forehead against a wall. Head is moving a little down, towards the ball. Get the pitch of the shoulders by turning the hips on a steeper slant, not by moving the head down.

Yes, I think you're on the right track. ArmsΒ mayΒ be getting a little too far above your shoulder plane but I'll leave that to the experts.

Yeah can't put too much importance on pieces like that when it's not a swing where he's hitting a ball. And it's fine for it to be above the shoulders as long as the arms are sequenced with the pivot.

Mike McLoughlin

Just still working on getting the shoulder turn better.

Here is two backswings fast then one slow. Just was focusing on backswing and not really doing downswings.

My head is still dipping during backswing, im really struggling to get the feel of stopping this.

Feel my shoulder and hip turn is much better though.

Note:Β This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!