IGNORED

Eliminating forward and down head movement in downswing

Note: This thread is 3747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been working on eliminating this with my coach for the past week, but having limited success.  I've always had a bit of a forward/down head movement into impact (not drastic, my head stops before it gets in front of the ball) and it's limiting my ability to fully clear my hips, which then makes have to use my hands to square the face.  This makes my swing highly dependent on timing.

The frustrating thing is that when I make a practice swing I can head my head at the same level, and it's all other swing flaws seem to go away (hips clear in sequence, body rotation squares face, etc.), but put a ball in front of me and it's much more difficult.  When I do keep my head level throughout, I hit the ball thin 8/10 times (but the two or so I don't are big improvements and effortless distance/accuracy).

Anyone have any good drills/advice?  Or is it just something where I need to trust the process and forget about results and it will work itself out?

Thanks!

I have a bad back..twisted and curved spine, and arthritis in my lower back. I had the same problem you do, however you can correct it with a Bunch of hard work and LOTS of practice. What I did was to Ingrain keeping my head from moving into my swing, I did thata by making swings w/o a club in front of a mirror, I also put my head against a wall, and made swings w/o a club.

Then I would go outside, with a 9 or 8i and make Slow swings with the main focus on Not moving my head, or coming Up out of the swing. I can't tell you how many times I did these things, but it was at least 2 or 300 hundred times. Next I go to the range, and my priority is swing keys #1 and #2, again swinging at no more than 50%.

After 2 weeks of the above, I can now keep my head pretty steady about 97% of the time, when I goof up, it's from not staying focused on keeping my head steady. One other thing I find helpful,during my swing is to almost stare at the ball until my swing is complete.

For me, a good posture and balance helps. Keep working at it, you'll get it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a tendency to do this- It would result in my hands trying to compensate and I would trap hook the ball- especially off the tee. I mentioned it to the teaching pro at the course I was playing (happened to be at the counter when I finished my round, getting a bucket to try and fix it). She just said to visualize WATCHING the club hit the back bottom half of the ball. That means- eyes open, and try to keep the head back and at and angle that would allow you to see the contact. You can't- it's too fast, but the attempt is the key. I went out to the range with that info and sure enough, after a couple of swings, the hook was gone and replaced with a slight power cut. Worked even better with the fairway woods. Took a few more range sessions to get the habit, but I work on it every time I hit the range these days.

I have a bad back..twisted and curved spine, and arthritis in my lower back. I had the same problem you do, however you can correct it with a Bunch of hard work and LOTS of practice. What I did was to Ingrain keeping my head from moving into my swing, I did thata by making swings w/o a club in front of a mirror, I also put my head against a wall, and made swings w/o a club.

Then I would go outside, with a 9 or 8i and make Slow swings with the main focus on Not moving my head, or coming Up out of the swing. I can't tell you how many times I did these things, but it was at least 2 or 300 hundred times. Next I go to the range, and my priority is swing keys #1 and #2, again swinging at no more than 50%.

After 2 weeks of the above, I can now keep my head pretty steady about 97% of the time, when I goof up, it's from not staying focused on keeping my head steady. One other thing I find helpful,during my swing is to almost stare at the ball until my swing is complete.

For me, a good posture and balance helps. Keep working at it, you'll get it.

Great advice, will incorporate.  When you were working on it, did you find yourself making a lot of thin contact?  I'm guessing that I got so used to having to adjust my arms by pulling up a bit at impact when I was dipping a bit, that I still do it when I stay level.

Great advice, will incorporate.  When you were working on it, did you find yourself making a lot of thin contact?  I'm guessing that I got so used to having to adjust my arms by pulling up a bit at impact when I was dipping a bit, that I still do it when I stay level.

Yep..sometimes I would totally Miss the ball..LOL Now, when I keep my head steady, I make sure my arms are extended, and that I hit down on the ball.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!