IGNORED

X Mount Kickstarter Campaign

Note: This thread is 3732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In another thread, @ProtoSports told us about their cool new product, the X Mount. In a nutshell, the X Mount is a bracket that will secure your phone (iPhone, Droid, Blackberry, whatever) and mount to an alignment stick or clamp. @iacas wrote a great blog post about it that will give all the details.

Well, the guys at ProtoSports have launched a Kickstarter campaign , and since I signed up just a little while ago, I'd like to see it get funded. There are several options from $18 for the mount only to $37 for the mount, a collapsible rod, and a clamp. Take a look at Erik's post and have a look at the Kickstarter campaign. It really seems like a great deal, especially for those of us that like to video our swings often. I'd encourage everyone on TST to sign up and pass the word along.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm sorry if this has already been asked but does this work for non-Iphones and also when can one expect it to be delivered if you're in the US?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I'm sorry if this has already been asked but does this work for non-Iphones and also when can one expect it to be delivered if you're in the US?

Take a look at Erik's blog post and the Kickstarter campaign page .

But to answer your questions: it looks like it will fit practically any smartphone, and when I signed up, it said expected delivery was in April.

Tyler Martin

Since you're a former sponsor, and because I contributed $33 myself and would like to see this project get funded, I'm adding a link here for others to see:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/667763688/x-mount-not-your-typical-smartphone-mountits-mobil/

Please back this project. The $33 or $37 options are great benefits. I still have and use my original holster - the only downside is that I can't use it indoors. The clamp will solve that problem nicely.

It appears from the adjustability (and from the video) that this new clamp will solve the one big annoyance I have with my regular holster.  And that is the fact that I have to remove the case every time I use it.  It even looks like one of the people in the video have the exact same iphone case as me.

I'm backing this!!

• Administrator

Moved a few posts over here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm in. I have been looking for something like this for the HTC One to film my swing. Assuming they get the funding, problem solved. This might be the best $33 I ever spend on golf. Thanks for the heads up.

not to be a hater but for $8 shipped (with amazon prime) I got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NFI656/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc;=1

Basically the same thing but it has legs that grab onto a bag instead of a clip for a driveway marker, which to me, seems more convenient.  I usually take off the legs and screw it into my tripod though.  It works the same way--a spring loaded vice-like grip that could fit any phone, without or without a case.  I have an S4, which is a larger phone, with a case on it, and it works great.

If you search amazon there are a lot of products that do the same thing.

Also, it looks like $18 gets you a discount, not a holder.  $21 for the holder only, up to $37 with the various attachments.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

not to be a hater but for $8 shipped (with amazon prime) I got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NFI656/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc;=1

Basically the same thing but it has legs that grab onto a bag instead of a clip for a driveway marker, which to me, seems more convenient.  I usually take off the legs and screw it into my tripod though.  It works the same way--a spring loaded vice-like grip that could fit any phone, without or without a case.  I have an S4, which is a larger phone, with a case on it, and it works great.

Also, it looks like $18 gets you a discount, not a holder.  $21 for the holder only, up to $37 with the various attachments.

No, that's not hating - that's rational comparison shopping. There are also these:

http://www.amazon.com/suction-gooseneck-windshield-dashboard-blackberry/dp/B00G3ZI0UI/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie;=UTF8&qid;=1389889062&sr;=1-3&keywords;=iphone+mount+clamp

http://www.amazon.com/Chromo-Inc-FlexHold-Gooseneck-Bathroom/dp/B00EHRYSQY/ref=pd_sim_cps_2

Not everyone has Amazon Prime though, that's $80/year (and a great deal if you buy from Amazon a lot)

The one you mentioned goes to max 2.6 width whereas the X Mount goes to 3.3 and will fit some almost phablet phones like the Galaxy Note 3 or the HTC One Max. Plus the X Mount has a longer clamp arm.

The two I linked above don't have tripod mounts or the cross section rod mount - that's what convinced me. On a golf course, I don't want to fiddle, I just want to snap, plant and tap. I'd probably rejigger the rod setup to my own preferences though.

IMHO, the big if of the product is the time constraint. I wish they gave themselves an extra month or even more time to meet the goal.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

No, that's not hating - that's rational comparison shopping. There are also these:

http://www.amazon.com/suction-gooseneck-windshield-dashboard-blackberry/dp/B00G3ZI0UI/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie;=UTF8&qid;=1389889062&sr;=1-3&keywords;=iphone+mount+clamp

http://www.amazon.com/Chromo-Inc-FlexHold-Gooseneck-Bathroom/dp/B00EHRYSQY/ref=pd_sim_cps_2

Not everyone has Amazon Prime though, that's $80/year (and a great deal if you buy from Amazon a lot)

The one you mentioned goes to max 2.6 width whereas the X Mount goes to 3.3 and will fit some almost phablet phones like the Galaxy Note 3 or the HTC One Max. Plus the X Mount has a longer clamp arm.

The two I linked above don't have tripod mounts or the cross section rod mount - that's what convinced me. On a golf course, I don't want to fiddle, I just want to snap, plant and tap. I'd probably rejigger the rod setup to my own preferences though.

IMHO, the big if of the product is the time constraint. I wish they gave themselves an extra month or even more time to meet the goal.

Except, I'm not so sure this is the appropriate thread for these.  I think these should probably go in the "How do you record your swing" thread.

Except, I'm not so sure this is the appropriate thread for these.  I think these should probably go in the "How do you record your swing" thread.

Well its about this product, isn't it?  I'm just letting you guys know that you can get a product that does the same thing next week for $8 instead of paying $27 and waiting until April.  The attachment arm does looks like it might be marginally easier to use than the goralliapod-like arms, but you've got to pay $30 to get that.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

• Administrator

Precisely. I have a GorillaPod. They seem like good things, but they fail too often to be too useful. They slide down things, they require constant fiddling, etc. The neck sags, etc. A clamp with a long bendy neck is better IMO, and it's detachable and can clip to alignment rods, too.

Well its about this product, isn't it?  I'm just letting you guys know that you can get a product that does the same thing next week for $8 instead of paying $27 and waiting until April.  The attachment arm does looks like it might be marginally easier to use than the goralliapod-like arms, but you've got to pay $30 to get that.

I think it's on topic.

I also think it doesn't do the same thing. See my comments just a few inches above. $33 is not a lot of money to most golfers, and the time and hassle I look to save is well worth it to me.

Plus they're not even gorilla pods - that's a knock off. There's something to be said for quality too. Quality and ease of use - that's why I'm backing the Kickstarter project (I'm a Prime member).

Kickstarter recommends campaigns of 30 days or so for the highest chance of success.

I think he's still going to run these. This is just a pre-order or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If I didn't already own a Joby Gorillapod and GripTight I'd think about backing this. As it is the fact that I can attach the Gorillapod to a range chair or railing for use at the range and the divider on my bag for video on course is superior for the way I'd use it.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Plus they're not even gorilla pods - that's a knock off. There's something to be said for quality too. Quality and ease of use - that's why I'm backing the Kickstarter project (I'm a Prime member).

Yeah, after a plethora of broken cheap-o iPhone chargers and cables bought on eBay or wherever, I've given up on crappy accessories.

So I'm in for 33 bucks for the X-mount Kickstarter.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Yes, but I thought this thread was only about helping this project succeed.  I wouldn't care if somebody wrote a post in a thread about course management about why Erik and Dave's upcoming book is stupid and too expensive and you should just read Nicklaus and Penick and Rotella off Amazon used for $2.  But if they wrote the same post in their kickstarter thread for the project, it would just seem like they were TRYING to make the project fail.

But, I can see I was mistaken.  (Seeing as how the judge has already overruled my objection ;-) )  Sorry about that.  However ...

I think I disagree with you anyway, because that tripod doesn't look like it would work on the range.  Wouldn't the camera be a little too low if you set it on the ground?  This clamp seems perfect because I can hook it to the top of my golf bag and have it be right at waist height basically. :beer:

I have the same thing! Works great. I attach it to a chair or my bag at the range. The X Mount looks cool too tho, and probably a little more universal.

I think I disagree with you anyway, because that tripod doesn't look like it would work on the range.  Wouldn't the camera be a little too low if you set it on the ground?  This clamp seems perfect because I can hook it to the top of my golf bag and have it be right at waist height basically.

Not to perpetuate the idea that I'm bashing the protosport but to clarify what the case star does, the legs are flexible.  I wrap them around hard plastic handle on the top of my bag, which is about waist height.  I haven't had any problems with keeping it still or breaking like Erik suggested.  Not sure if he was using it with a real camera instead of a phone or just has had less success than I have had.

I'm not trying to defeat the project, just provide information to other members, which I think is what this site is about.  If you don't like gorillapod style legs like Erik then I would urge you to buy the protosport because it is otherwise identical to a product that I've had great success with.  But if you're looking to save a few bucks, don't mind the gorillapod-like legs, or plan to use it on a real tripod, you could get it now and save a few bucks.  More information to make your own decision.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Not to perpetuate the idea that I'm bashing the protosport but to clarify what the case star does, the legs are flexible.  I wrap them around hard plastic handle on the top of my bag, which is about waist height.  I haven't had any problems with keeping it still or breaking like Erik suggested.  Not sure if he was using it with a real camera instead of a phone or just has had less success than I have had.

I'm not trying to defeat the project, just provide information to other members, which I think is what this site is about.  If you don't like gorillapod style legs like Erik then I would urge you to buy the protosport because it is otherwise identical to a product that I've had great success with.  But if you're looking to save a few bucks, don't mind the gorillapod-like legs, or plan to use it on a real tripod, you could get it now and save a few bucks.  More information to make your own decision.

Smartphones are so ubiquitous now - the other versions will be probably be more than adequate for family members who just want something for car, selfies, reading/watching, general use. Get the X Mount and the other models mentioned above! Cheap enough to get both.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Sorry to be so late to respond but I wanted to let you know that the X Mount itself will attach to any of your existing tripod/ gorilla pod mount. It is only $18.00 for the X Mount by itself. The clamp is simply an attachment. If you were to say get the X Mount only, you could use it with your gorilla pod and any of your alignment rods. That's a great deal!

Note: This thread is 3732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!