IGNORED

Monthly Dues Credits at Golf Club?

GolfGuy123
Note: This thread is 3720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im sorry if this question seems uneducated but a google search did me no help!

I am looking at joining a golf club and it says the monthly dues are $185 (does not specify monthly, but I assume it is monthly) and then it says "once the new member has been processed, the new member and sponsoring member will receive $40 in monthly dues credits"

it also says "there is no limit to the number of members you can sponsor and no limit to the amount of dues credits you can earn"

Does this mean I would pay $145 per month? OR does it mean I pay the whole $185 but they credit my account with $40 a month for food / bev etc.?

Considering they say "there is no limit to amount of dues credits you can earn" im assuming its additional $ credited to your "account" not a discount on your monthly payment?

Once again, I know this may seem like a silly question to some - but this would be my first time joining a club.

FWIW - Initiation fee is only $100 and the dues are as noted above. I love playing the course, love the people, atmosphere etc. Sound like a good deal to you?

Yes I would assume the credits would only be used for the pro shop and/or restaurant, you still pay the $185 a month.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes I would assume the credits would only be used for the pro shop and/or restaurant, you still pay the $185 a month.

Thanks, was thinking that sounds most reasonable. Might be a loaded question, but generally speaking - do you think $185 per month is a good price?

Thanks, was thinking that sounds most reasonable. Might be a loaded question, but generally speaking - do you think $185 per month is a good price?

Depends on the course and what you get but I would generally say that $185 for a private club is a good price.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Simple answer: call the pro shop and ask.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

$185/month? Depending on what you're getting, it sounds like a good deal. Wish I had that here in CT.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Based on your initiation fee and monthly dues I would think the deal is that for each new member that an existing member brings in they will get a one time $40 credit on their account and for the new member they will get a one time $40 credit on their account.

Which part of the NA are you in? Wish I could get deals like that here.

The private clubs around here have initiation fees from $65,000 to $100,000.

Monthly dues around $375 to $425.

Food minimums around $1,000 per year.

So you are getting a great deal for golf.

Based on your initiation fee and monthly dues I would think the deal is that for each new member that an existing member brings in they will get a one time $40 credit on their account and for the new member they will get a one time $40 credit on their account.

Wow!!! That would cost me right out of the game. Around here the best country club (actually very nice) had an initiation fee of around $600 (but I think they've dropped it altogether now) and monthly fees of around $240. Too high for me. Another 9 hole course has monthly fees of $150. Not as nice and only 9 holes but a fun course to play and not a bad deal for tighter budgets.

There are better deals than either of those outside of a 40 mile radius from here (for some reason) but not many people want to drive that far.

Wow!!! That would cost me right out of the game. Around here the best country club (actually very nice) had an initiation fee of around $600 (but I think they've dropped it altogether now) and monthly fees of around $240. Too high for me. Another 9 hole course has monthly fees of $150. Not as nice and only 9 holes but a fun course to play and not a bad deal for tighter budgets. There are better deals than either of those outside of a 40 mile radius from here (for some reason) but not many people want to drive that far.

Are those numbers for a strictly "PRIVATE" club, or a semi -private deal?

Are those numbers for a strictly "PRIVATE" club, or a semi -private deal?

They have always been private and the best one very exclusive and discouraged guests with high prices, but has lost a lot of members and slightly changed some policies to try to get more play. I don't think you can just go over there and play but I heard that you could if a member gave you permission, even if they weren't with you.

I've played there a few times with a member but haven't been there since they started getting more lenient with outside play.

A catch 22 I suppose. Many members don't want any outside play but not enough members to pay for everything without it.

I would enquire about more than the credit. Typically there are different levels of membership, junior, equity etc. Assessment fees would be my concern. When I was an equity member of a club years ago they replaced the wood fence surrounding the property with a concrete wall and the assessment that year was $2500. Also junior members had restricted tee times. At my current public home course the monthly dues for those making installment payments on their memberships is more than $185  a month for the gold members. I'd be asking exactly what $185 gets me.

Dave :-)

$185/month? Depending on what you're getting, it sounds like a good deal. Wish I had that here in CT

No greens fees, anytime / any day tee times

Ahhh gotcha. I still need to call the club to verify everything. However just to be clear, this course is not private. It is open to public.

I would enquire about more than the credit. Typically there are different levels of membership, junior, equity etc. Assessment fees would be my concern. When I was an equity member of a club years ago they replaced the wood fence surrounding the property with a concrete wall and the assessment that year was $2500. Also junior members had restricted tee times. At my current public home course the monthly dues for those making installment payments on their memberships is more than $185  a month for the gold members. I'd be asking exactly what $185 gets me.

Yep, the only two memberships are regular (weekend and weekday) and weekday (just weekday golf) - the $185 gets you no greens fees, can play any day / time. Then the usual fluff (ability to purchase range club, ability to purchase cart club, handicap etc.) The initiation fee is $100. Good call on assessment fees, I will ask.

No greens fees, anytime / any day tee times Ahhh gotcha. I still need to call the club to verify everything. However just to be clear, this course is not private. It is open to public. Yep, the only two memberships are regular (weekend and weekday) and weekday (just weekday golf) - the $185 gets you no greens fees, can play any day / time. Then the usual fluff (ability to purchase range club, ability to purchase cart club, handicap etc.) The initiation fee is $100. Good call on assessment fees, I will ask.

If it's open to the public, then I wouldn't think assessments would be an issue. You aren't buying a share in the club, you are just paying for better access to a public course. Lots of courses are set up this way. People can get the air of a private club without the high fees, assessments, grill minimums, etc... If you play once a week, it may not be worth it. If, however, you can show up and squeeze in 9 holes 3X a week, maybe 36 on a Saturday or Sunday, then you can come out ahead. Just like a gym membership- they are counting on the people who DON'T show up that often to carry the weight of you playing 5 or 6 times a week

Yeah no assessments with a public course membership. That's not really joining a club. The dues still sound reasonable. Kind of depends on the course. I was offered a membership at a nice private club for $1000 transfer fee with $400 monthly dues last year and just $200 a quarter food/bev. A full membership with unlimited golf, cart and trail fee at my public home course is $4400 a year. I just do the club pass because it gets me 10% discount off grill and bar purchases. The GolfNow times are cheaper than I could get with a full membership relative to how often I play. I can golf 4 times a week for about the same as the full membership would cost. Mostly I don't want to be tied to one course. Work is the biggest factor.  I have to bounce around depending on my schedule. As a mostly twilight golfer tee times are cheap anyway.

Dave :-)

The GolfNow times are cheaper than I could get with a full membership relative to how often I play. I can golf 4 times a week for about the same as the full membership would cost. Mostly I don't want to be tied to one course. Work is the biggest factor.  I have to bounce around depending on my schedule. As a mostly twilight golfer tee times are cheap anyway.

Everything you just said! Pretty much why I am leaning towards not doing it....between golfnow prices and the fact that at MOST I can squeeze (1-2) 9 hole rounds during week and 18 on weekend, 36 if im very lucky - it just does not seem like its worth it even at $185 a month. I was looking back at past statements and at most in 2013 I spent $180 on rounds of golf (and that was with a cart!). That is $5 less than the $185 a month I would have to pay which does not include cart fee ($12 for cart per round)...(Yes, I would walk sometimes but not all the time). Then I had months where I spent as little as $55 a month on playing and sometimes in between at around $100...The other main thing is though, and as you even mentioned, I was playing multiple courses which I enjoy doing. I am really starting to talk myself out of it, which is not a bad thing. Really appreciate everyone's input.

Yes it's a good price.  I'm not sure where you live but around where I live, that's unheard of.  I joined a country club in September of 2012.  Since I am under 36 I qualify for the "junior executive" rates.  Initiation?  $2500.  Dues/Fees?  $400/month, plus $35 food/beverage.  Cart fees ($20/round) not included.  Not an equity club, thus no assessments.  Managed by Billy Casper golf.  Ten years ago the same membership that I have at my club was $8k for initiation.  The recession has made being a member somewhere much more affordable apparently.

My country club is one of the cheapest in the area (excluding Montgomery Village but that does not count and it's a dog track anyway).  I work with people that are members at Congressional.  The initiation fee is $120k and that only gets you on a waiting list (~10 years).  After one year I believe that you can enjoy a social membership though.

Note: This thread is 3720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!