IGNORED

Where do you go to find good golfing tips

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a golfer that has picked up the game 2 years ago and have brought my handicap from really high down to about a 12.  I am struggling to break through to get my scores down to the low 80's vs mid to high 80's.  Constantly looking for good tips on the internet but there is just so much out there that it's just too dang confusing.  I do take lessons from time to time but i just can't help going to the internet to find more...

Anyone struggling with the same thing?

Anyone found any great sites or ways to weed through the tons of info/videos out there?

Thanks!  Look forward to the forum.

I hear there's a website out there where instructors and knowledgeable people offer lots of good information for free. Can't think of the name though...

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The irony of it. You've asked on a great site whether anyone knows of any great sites. :-P

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

All kidding aside @desire2win , check out the Swing Thoughts Section.

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4088/swing-thoughts

Tons of great tips and commentary from our resident instructors.  And welcome to the site!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On the internet... too many things and makes it confusing. You want less confusion? Do not look up ANYTHING about your swing on the internet. In fact, get rid of your computer, golf magazines, phone apps, and only play alone so you won't get "that guy" offering helpful hints. If in only 2 years you've brought a hdcp down to a 12, stick with what you're doing and just keep playing.

The pros here of course - @iacas , @mvmac plus their vids on YouTube on the Golf Evolution channel and there are more than a few YouTube channels I subscribe to - Martin Chuck, Waite Mayo, Dan Carraher, The Scoring Academy, Dana Dahlquist, richie3jack, etc...

Do a search for posts by @iacas and @mvmac on the instruction and swing thought forums here, read all of them and come back in a couple of months :-D

Also, I'm learning a lot just by looking at all the slow motion swings out there on YouTube, looking at them over and over again or in Analyzr and drawing lines and dots, plus the swings on the Member swings forum.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On the internet... too many things and makes it confusing. You want less confusion?

Do not look up ANYTHING about your swing on the internet. In fact, get rid of your computer, golf magazines, phone apps, and only play alone so you won't get "that guy" offering helpful hints. If in only 2 years you've brought a hdcp down to a 12, stick with what you're doing and just keep playing.

I was thinking the same thing, wow that's good.

The pros here of course - @iacas, @mvmac plus their vids on YouTube on the Golf Evolution channel and there are more than a few YouTube channels I subscribe to - Martin Chuck, Waite Mayo, Dan Carraher, The Scoring Academy, Dana Dahlquist, richie3jack, etc...

Do a search for posts by @iacas and @mvmac on the instruction and swing thought forums here, read all of them and come back in a couple of months

Also, I'm learning a lot just by looking at all the slow motion swings out there on YouTube, looking at them over and over again or in Analyzr and drawing lines and dots, plus the swings on the Member swings forum.

Just in case you want to improve your 12 hcp, this is a best site to improve your game. I only wish I knew all the resources available to me when I started to use it a little over a year ago.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The pros here of course - @iacas, @mvmac plus their vids on YouTube on the Golf Evolution channel and there are more than a few YouTube channels I subscribe to - Martin Chuck, Waite Mayo, Dan Carraher, The Scoring Academy, Dana Dahlquist, richie3jack, etc...

Do a search for posts by @iacas and @mvmac on the instruction and swing thought forums here, read all of them and come back in a couple of months

Also, I'm learning a lot just by looking at all the slow motion swings out there on YouTube, looking at them over and over again

I agree on looking at video a couple of months later. For me, things don't always click the first or even second time I hear or read them.

In my opinion, pick a system or method and try to stick with it. Doesn't mean you shouldn't look at other sources. But as soon as I hear something completely contrary to what I'm trying to learn, I stop listening. The thing is, many of the online instructors teach and most of the tour pros use (at least to my untrained eye) similar keys to what is taught here. It's not that I know for a fact the 5SK is the absolute best method. It's simply the method I'm committed to learning. For those of us who are trying to develop a decent swing, probably the 2nd worst thing we can do is keep switching around. The worst thing would be learning a method that is just really flawed.

Jon

• Administrator

I agree on looking at video a couple of months later. For me, things don't always click the first or even second time I hear or read them.

In my opinion, pick a system or method and try to stick with it. Doesn't mean you shouldn't look at other sources. But as soon as I hear something completely contrary to what I'm trying to learn, I stop listening. The thing is, many of the online instructors teach and most of the tour pros use (at least to my untrained eye) similar keys to what is taught here. It's not that I know for a fact the 5SK is the absolute best method. It's simply the method I'm committed to learning. For those of us who are trying to develop a decent swing, probably the 2nd worst thing we can do is keep switching around. The worst thing would be learning a method that is just really flawed.

FWIW, calling 5SK a "method" is a bit of a misnomer. "Method" has the connotation - at least in golf instruction - of being very much "one way" to do things. A "system" is a bit better, but just be careful. Any good swing employs the 5 Simple Keys, and we don't force everyone into a single swing pattern.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree with many of the suggestions above.  Here are the links below.  I personally subscribe to all of them.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/iacas/

http://www.youtube.com/user/mvmac25/

http://www.youtube.com/user/ddahlquist/

http://www.youtube.com/user/thegolfevolution/

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScoringAcademy/

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaiteMayoGolf/

http://www.youtube.com/user/jamezjih/

Stephan Kostelecky

Golf Instructor

Youtube

Here of course, also the driving range at my home course will either have a pro somewhere close by or a very low or + index player who may give a hand from time to time.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

FWIW, calling 5SK a "method" is a bit of a misnomer. "Method" has the connotation - at least in golf instruction - of being very much "one way" to do things. A "system" is a bit better, but just be careful. Any good swing employs the 5 Simple Keys, and we don't force everyone into a single swing pattern.

Point taken. I shouldn't have used that word to describe your system. My intent was to say that the 5SK System is a manner, way, basis, means, approach or method I choose in which to learn a decent swing. The intended meaning was a more generic definition of the word perhaps than how it's used in the golf instruction profession. Sorry for any confusion.

Jon

I am a golfer that has picked up the game 2 years ago and have brought my handicap from really high down to about a 12.  I am struggling to break through to get my scores down to the low 80's vs mid to high 80's.  Constantly looking for good tips on the internet but there is just so much out there that it's just too dang confusing.  I do take lessons from time to time but i just can't help going to the internet to find more...

Anyone struggling with the same thing?

Anyone found any great sites or ways to weed through the tons of info/videos out there?

Thanks!  Look forward to the forum.

Don't even have to leave our site

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I've always considered it to be a Teaching System as opposed to swing method or even swing system. It's a system to teach the golf swing, any kind of (good) golf swing.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

I've always considered it to be a Teaching System as opposed to swing method or even swing system. It's a system to teach the golf swing, any kind of (good) golf swing.

Yes, I suppose if I was being picky I wouldn't call it a "swing system" either, but I'm less picky about that. I've stood up for "method" too in the past, but it's a losing battle - the connotation is simply too strong that "method" = "only one way." There's a "method" to using the 5SK "system" properly - to say otherwise would mean that we have no process at all - but again "method" isn't understood to mean what the dictionary says in GolfInstructionLand.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!