IGNORED

Long Distance Competitions

Thelonhitter
Note: This thread is 3737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all! I am wondering about the long distance competitions. I am currently 24 years old. I've played golf since i was 3. I have played college golf but i have never tried to further it. I a still in the process of getting my education. Then i noticed on TV the re/max world long drive competitions. Well formally growing up i was fairly small. And my average drive would be about 285-300 yards. I am a former bodybuilder as well. And i decided to pick up golf again. But this time in the long drive competitions. First time i played golf in 2 years i shot a 76 and my average drive was 360 yards. My longest was 410 with no wind. I am curious if it's worth it to enter in a long drive competition? Again i'm new and i hope i can get some valuable information from you guys. Thanks in advance.

I'll take what you say at face value. Join the long drive of America, or the PGA. As a 1 handicap, I'm sure someone can train you to be a champion golfer. Either way, you can be successful, the tour might be more lucrative. As I drive 120+ yards less than your 360 yard average, I should be asking you how you do it. You would also overdrive many par 4 greens.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had to take 2 years off do to engineering school. But yes i played a couple of weeks ago and was still very good. More consistent which is funny. But i kept hooking the ball and i never knew why until i went to a head shop and it was because my driver's shaft was not right. I recently ordered a kranks golf club that is 3 inches longer than normal. Which is still legal. The guy sent the numbers to krank on my regular golf club and they were amazed as well. I'm 6ft 220 pounds (muscle) 8% bodyfat. So i'm fairly a big 6ft. And i still have my flexibility. My first comp is suppose to be in a month. But i'm nervous since this is a new golf club. And that i've taken 2 years away from golf in general. Furtherst carry i have done with my 45 inch golf club was 380 yard carry on a par 4.

All I can say is if I shot a 76 after a 2 year hiatus and my longest drive was 400+ I wouldn't be fishing for advice on forums. The answer would be closer to home if there is even a question. Surely someone thats has played golf since 3 yrs has local connections.

Dave :-)

I've never had a coach... (Besides college) My highschool i played golf and won state. Got scholerships. But wasn't book smart... So i stopped college golf even though my coach told me not to. I don't have any local connects. I am from a town of 9,000 people i grew up on a farm learned everything myself through research.

I used to be a same, average drive was 360, my main problem was that I was hitting greens from the tee but I just wasn't getting enough backspin from my driver. I also love the short game so I decided to take about 40% of my driver and have worked very hard to incorporate a slice and nasty hook into my game.... People may think this is madness but they need to see the bigger picture, it has really improved my short game. I never got to go to college, but I used to be an astronaunt. I spent a lot of time on the moon and it was there where I really worked on my bunker play. I still maintain that if you can get up and down from the bunkers on the moon, you'll get up and down anywhere. The only problem with playing on the moon is the limited amount of holes. There are only a few flags. There are a few great holes.. The first, designed by Neil Armstrong I think, is a great opening hole. Have you played it yourself?
  • Upvote 1

I used to be a same, average drive was 360, my main problem was that I was hitting greens from the tee but I just wasn't getting enough backspin from my driver.

I also love the short game so I decided to take about 40% of my driver and have worked very hard to incorporate a slice and nasty hook into my game.... People may think this is madness but they need to see the bigger picture, it has really improved my short game.

I never got to go to college, but I used to be an astronaunt. I spent a lot of time on the moon and it was there where I really worked on my bunker play. I still maintain that if you can get up and down from the bunkers on the moon, you'll get up and down anywhere.

The only problem with playing on the moon is the limited amount of holes. There are only a few flags. There are a few great holes..

The first, designed by Neil Armstrong I think, is a great opening hole.

Have you played it yourself?

YEAH I PLAYED THAT COURSE TOO TO BUT WHEN I WAS TOLD THE KEG OF BUD HAD KICKED AND THEY WERE NOT GETTING A REPLACEMENT I NEVER WENT BACK!

I've never had a coach... (Besides college) My highschool i played golf and won state. Got scholerships. But wasn't book smart... So i stopped college golf even though my coach told me not to. I don't have any local connects. I am from a town of 9,000 people i grew up on a farm learned everything myself through research.

Just sign up for some long drive competitions. You never know until you try. Maybe we'll see you on TV at Mesquite. One of our local guys made it that far but didn't get far enough to get on TV so I don't know how he matched up with the best. Sounds like you hit it at least as far as he does (maybe farther).

BTW. Why take engineering? There are easier majors you know. ;-)

Just sign up for some long drive competitions. You never know until you try. Maybe we'll see you on TV at Mesquite. One of our local guys made it that far but didn't get far enough to get on TV so I don't know how he matched up with the best. Sounds like you hit it at least as far as he does (maybe farther).

BTW. Why take engineering? There are easier majors you know.

Never had the privilege to play on the moon guys, but maybe invite me next time you go ;) Also there are easier majors. But they don't challenge me. And i love being challenged. I have an older brother that is a Computer/Electrical engineer. And i look up to him a lot. So thats why i decided engineering. And i'll give it a shot. The 28th i believe next month is the first one. So i'll be attending that one. I will keep you guys updated.

Hey OP, do you know Kelzzy? He only averaged 300 with his 3-wood, but he could probably hang with you. And he did have a swing EXACTLY like Tiger Woods.

And you might want to get "book smart" before you start down the engineering major path. But you knew that already.

Hey OP, do you know Kelzzy? He only averaged 300 with his 3-wood, but he could probably hang with you. And he did have a swing EXACTLY like Tiger Woods. And you might want to get "book smart" before you start down the engineering major path. But you knew that already.

I didn't come here To brag. I simply was telling my background and where I came from. So there is no need for ignorance. I just wanted some advice on this matter.

Quote:
Then i noticed on TV the re/max world long drive competitions.

Answering your question at face value.

I didn't know about long driving contests until I saw one late one night on TV in the States. It looks like a very different world to the structured world of tournament golf - more like a darts match than a golf tournament! More "country" than "country club," perhaps... Still, it was fun to watch for a bit.

Anyway, reflected in that seems to be a rather egalitarian approach to how these events are structured.

Why don't you enter one? $40 for 6 balls, simple as that:

http://www.longdrivers.com/remax-how-enter/open-any-age

It seems they have regional, divisional contests all over the U.S. http://www.longdrivers.com/remax-wldc/events?region=All&type;=Local

I reckon that $40 would tell you a whole lot more about that competition and how well your skills are matched to it, than you'll learn asking questions at an online golf forum.

If you do enter one, please tell us how you get on. It would be (genuinely) interesting to know.

I didn't come here To brag. I simply was telling my background and where I came from. So there is no need for ignorance. I just wanted some advice on this matter.

No need for ignorance? Really? I guess I won't add to it then.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Never had the privilege to play on the moon guys, but maybe invite me next time you go ;) Also there are easier majors. But they don't challenge me. And i love being challenged. I have an older brother that is a Computer/Electrical engineer. And i look up to him a lot. So thats why i decided engineering. And i'll give it a shot. The 28th i believe next month is the first one. So i'll be attending that one. I will keep you guys updated.

I wasn't making fun of you. Just trying to figure out why somebody that's not "book smart" and had to drop out would choose that. I don't mind most challenges either but the first day in Organic Chemistry told me I was probably in the wrong class. Especially when the professor said there would be 5 Fs, 5 Ds, 5 Cs, 5 Bs, and 5 As in the class and I looked around the room and realized I was probably the only one there that had never even heard of Organic Chemistry. I dropped that puppy the next day and got in the classes with all of the other baseball players.

Good luck with the competition!!!

You say you hit the ball a ton....that's great.  You say you are familiar with Krank gear...why then can't you figure out how to enter a long driver competition. I agree there is no need for ignorance, but this thread is bordering it. ScouseJohnny gave you the link in his post.  So go enter. No need for advice here.

I don't think it's a troll as much as a post from yet another immature personality that thinks the way to instant acceptance to a forum is ridiculous boasting. The clue is why would anyone that hasn't golfed in several years and shoots 4 over with long drive competition length come here sniveling to ask for advice. Any sane person that achieved this would be over the moon with excitement and likely wouldn't have the urge to ask strangers for help because they wouldn't feel they needed it. If anything they would be out on the course honing their obvious skill.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!