IGNORED

50 yard shots - short game

Abu3baid
Note: This thread is 3712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been working with my long game for a few months and my short game other than putting has really took a strange turn.. My problem is not with distance either.. I just miss everything to the left for some reason.. It doesn't feel like a pull, but that is the only way to describe it.. It can't be my alignment as I set up the same for my full shots.. When I practice it on the range I hit them on the spot.. It's just very strange.. But those 50 - 75 yard pitches are really hurting me right now.. I mean I could always just aim 20 yards to the right but I'm not sure I can fool my self into thinking that is where I want to hit the ball.. My trajectory is very good, it feels like good solid contact, but the results leave a lot to be desired.. Ehhh

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been working with my long game for a few months and my short game other than putting has really took a strange turn..

My problem is not with distance either.. I just miss everything to the left for some reason.. It doesn't feel like a pull, but that is the only way to describe it.. It can't be my alignment as I set up the same for my full shots.. When I practice it on the range I hit them on the spot..

It's just very strange.. But those 50 - 75 yard pitches are really hurting me right now.. I mean I could always just aim 20 yards to the right but I'm not sure I can fool my self into thinking that is where I want to hit the ball..

My trajectory is very good, it feels like good solid contact, but the results leave a lot to be desired.. Ehhh

I feel your pain. My miss on all short game shots is a dead pull, I just seem to always close the face through impact. It's funny (sort of) because my miss on full swings is a push. Pitching and long chips, I just aim right a bit to mitigate the damage but it's something I plan on fixing one day. Full swings are what's really hurting me though, I can play my pitches slightly to the right and still get on the dancefloor and my putting's solid so the shortgame faults are definitely "back burner" stuff.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I feel your pain. My miss on all short game shots is a dead pull, I just seem to always close the face through impact. It's funny (sort of) because my miss on full swings is a push. Pitching and long chips, I just aim right a bit to mitigate the damage but it's something I plan on fixing one day. Full swings are what's really hurting me though, I can play my pitches slightly to the right and still get on the dancefloor and my putting's solid so the shortgame faults are definitely "back burner" stuff.

You are right, so maybe I should just take my regular grip and then just open the club face a little?? And aim a little to the right of where I want to go? I'm just so stubborn I think to my self an ill hit this straight and it just doesn't happen.. However I do think it's an issue of how I come around my body in the follow through causing the out to in swing and pull.. Again. Ehhhh

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Yeah, I don't change my grip or set-up, I just aim a bit to the right to compensate a bit for my inevitable pull. Definitely not a permanent fix, just something I do for now until I have time to fix the real issue, I'm also hoping some of the work I'm doing on full swing mechanics will leak over to the shortgame and it will just "fix itself". I do alright, the shortgame is definitely not what's holding me back.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I've pulled more than my share of wedge shots too. For me it's usually that I release too early (easy to do with a short club), have a tendency to have the ball too far forward in my stance for a wedge, and have more of an over the top tendency with a wedge than longer clubs. The combination gives me a pull. Fixing any one gives me acceptable shots and fixing all give me good shots. I don't have that problem with open faced and open stance shots where I am using the bounce, so it's only on full shots, and I don't have those same problems with long clubs to nearly that extent.

I have been working with my long game for a few months and my short game other than putting has really took a strange turn..

My problem is not with distance either.. I just miss everything to the left for some reason.. It doesn't feel like a pull, but that is the only way to describe it.. It can't be my alignment as I set up the same for my full shots.. When I practice it on the range I hit them on the spot..

It's just very strange.. But those 50 - 75 yard pitches are really hurting me right now.. I mean I could always just aim 20 yards to the right but I'm not sure I can fool my self into thinking that is where I want to hit the ball..

My trajectory is very good, it feels like good solid contact, but the results leave a lot to be desired.. Ehhh

@Abu3baid ,

Without seeing your swing, I would be just guessing.  But if you are pulling, it may be because you are not getting your weight forward as you normally do with a full swing.  These type of shots require the same motion in the lower body as the full shots.  If you don't move you lower body, the swing may come over the top. I have had this problem.  I would not move my lower body at all.

Practice the "Weight Forward Drill" that Erik posted in the Swing Thoughts section.  It is in the 5 Simple Keys video section.  Then practice the shot concentrating on a smooth lower body transfer to the front side, just like your full swing.  Some players actually preset their weight forward for the swing itself on the course.  This eliminates hanging back on the right side.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Check the club face at contact ... headed left?

Possibly handsy on the short game shots?

Take hands out

How are hips?

Swing (turn) in barrel? (not good) or lateral action before turning? (good)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

http://thesandtrap.com/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I've pulled more than my share of wedge shots too. For me it's usually that I release too early (easy to do with a short club), have a tendency to have the ball too far forward in my stance for a wedge, and have more of an over the top tendency with a wedge than longer clubs.

The combination gives me a pull. Fixing any one gives me acceptable shots and fixing all give me good shots.

I don't have that problem with open faced and open stance shots where I am using the bounce, so it's only on full shots, and I don't have those same problems with long clubs to nearly that extent.

This is pretty much what happened to me with anything less than a 9i. The solution was exactly as you described. At one point, I was thinking of adding more weight to my clubs, but trained myself to keep the lag with different weight clubs.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is also weak part of my game. I comfortable inside 50 yards. However 50-80 yards i been using a new technique kinda like a chip-slice method with my GW that might work well I aim slightly back of ball like I do with sand shots and intention hit heavy

Note: This thread is 3712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!