IGNORED

Haney talks about Tiger again

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://hotlinks.golf.com/2014/01/27/haney-on-tiger-he-has-gotten-too-big/?sct=hp2

Quote:
“My opinion is he did too much of that,” Haney said. “He does a lot of the gym stuff. I know you need to do some for golf, no doubt about it. You need to be in shape, you need to avoid injury, but my opinion is he really overdoes that. … I look at him now and a lot of guys mentioned on the telecast, he looks bigger this year. I think Peter Kostis mentioned that. He looks like he’s gained more muscle mass. When he was thinner and younger he was actually faster then.  The strength maybe helps you get out of the rough but I’d agree that he’s overdone it. But he loves to work out.”

I am calling BS! I think the problem with Tiger's ability to hit the long ball like he use to. Tiger has been hovering around 292-293 yards for the past 5 years or so. He maxed out one year at 311. Then he went and screwed up his knee. That is were his power issues are from. He can't rotate his hips as fast as he use to because it causes him to snap his front knee straight.

As for the MYTH that muscles call inflexibility, that is total BS. Weight lifting increases range of motion, not decreases it. Look at the Olympic Squat competition. Those guys get their butts near their heels when they squat. They all have huge legs, but a ton of flexibility. So weight lifting does not decrease flexibility.

Now does he work out too much compared to working on his golf game. Not sure. I watched an interesting video of him and Rory at their personal match they did last year. Their mutual friend and former NFL player was commentating the match. I think it was over in China. Well Tiger was talking to Rory about the off season , and about how he has to go to the gym to rehab his body, especially his back, and do a lot of injury prevention stuff.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh god, Haney actually backs Chamblee. Honestly if he actually did the research than his opinions would be completely 180. I don't know what he researching, but he's obviously wasting his time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

This Haney chap has been having a pop at Sir Nick as well.

http://hotlinks.golf.com/2014/01/27/haney-on-faldo-he-does-next-to-no-research/

Cheeky sod.

I don't know if Haney knows what Sir Nick does at night or during the day interviews, but with all the deals and ownership, and changes Sir Nick has made with OEMs and guys like Edel, I'm thinking he's a very difficult guy ...

Did anyone notice how they announced the Edel deal with Sir Nick, and less than 6 months later, his name disappeared from the Edel website...

As to Haney, he needs to keep his name out there ... someone might have a product they want to promote and see his name.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

"Less time in the gym. He’s beat himself up, no doubt about it, but less time in the gym, more time on the putting green. There’s just no way he should three-putt five times. That’s just ridiculous. He’s Tiger Woods. That just can’t happen.”"

- Hank Haney

I think that is dead on. JMO.

Bill M

If Haneys point is tiger works out with weights too much, much more than he needs to....I tend to agree with him. My roommate in college was a wonderful athlete, basketball, golf, baseball, soccer and at the time a great ultimate frisbee player. He started lifting and he got in great shape, then he continued lifting and more and more. In baseball he was short stop as a result of his defined physique he lost all touch of throwing to first, agility to find the ball in his glove and I believe he lost a step. Some of the other sports he just lost that fast twitch and fluid movement. So yeah Haney could be right, who am I to say otherwise, he had first hand knowledge of his training and impact if any.

Speed is pretty much genetic. People can only train so much fast twitch muscle fiber, so there is a limit there. I agree he could have worked out enough the wrong way to the point he did loose a step. Look at Rory. He went from slightly chubby to ripped, and he gained massive distance on his drives. He got with a guy who knew his stuff. Found out he was weak on his left side, so he did a ton of dumbbell stuff, and single arm, single leg exercises to build up that side of his body. So its doing things the right way more than just working out. In general though adding muscle does not mean you loose flexibility or inhibit golfing movements. Of course you have to add it the right way.

Yea I agree he could be right with how much time Tiger is spending on working out, not prioritizing his weaknesses in his golf game.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Speed is pretty much genetic. People can only train so much fast twitch muscle fiber, so there is a limit there. I agree he could have worked out enough the wrong way to the point he did loose a step. Look at Rory. He went from slightly chubby to ripped, and he gained massive distance on his drives. He got with a guy who knew his stuff. Found out he was weak on his left side, so he did a ton of dumbbell stuff, and single arm, single leg exercises to build up that side of his body. So its doing things the right way more than just working out. In general though adding muscle does not mean you loose flexibility or inhibit golfing movements. Of course you have to add it the right way.

Yea I agree he could be right with how much time Tiger is spending on working out, not prioritizing his weaknesses in his golf game.

That right on, and if its not done the right way then the body can be exposed to injury by over developed muscles, for example an over developed thigh and calf will but an under developed knee at risk. Its all about balance. I have to believe that Tiger is getting holistic training.

All sounds like pure speculation to me. If Tiger loses flexibility through weight lifting then it could affect his game, but I'm sure he has more sense, and access to the finest trainers, to let that happen. The point about time spent in the weight room as opposed to the putting green is just a shot since he no longer has any idea how much time Tiger actually spends on either. The one thing he said that I do agree with is that 5 3-putts is ridiculous for Tiger Woods. Makes me think his main problem is on the 6 inch course.

Lee

In My Bag... Driver:Titleist 913D3  3 Wood: Dunlop 16deg railer  Hybr:Titleist 910H 24deg  4-GW:Mizuno JPX825Pros

Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey 256-14  60deg: Mizuno Zoid   Putter: Odyssey WH Rossie (Left handed)

I worked out at the Y with a state champ weightlifter.  He was way strong, held the Iowa benchpress record but could hardly bend his body.  We went jogging around the gym and he was not at all comfortable.  His entire body, every joint,  seemed stiff and tight, hardly what is needed for golf. .  So i would not agree that lifting benefits flexibility.

As far as Haney, he is not unlike a journalist who needs to produce lines of text every day/week/month, whatever.  And i view all those types as 'parasites' since they feed off the experts. Haney, Chamblee, etc are little more than " Paparazzi of print".

I thought his book was a bloody good read.  Does he actually work with any PGA Tour players at the moment?

My understanding from what I've read on the subject is that Haney has sworn off working with PGA professionals.

I worked out at the Y with a state champ weightlifter.  He was way strong, held the Iowa benchpress record but could hardly bend his body.  We went jogging around the gym and he was not at all comfortable.  His entire body, every joint,  seemed stiff and tight, hardly what is needed for golf. .  So i would not agree that lifting benefits flexibility.

As far as Haney, he is not unlike a journalist who needs to produce lines of text every day/week/month, whatever.  And i view all those types as 'parasites' since they feed off the experts. Haney, Chamblee, etc are little more than " Paparazzi of print".

I would never compare Haney to Chamblee (or anybody else in the golf media for that matter) in that regard. Haney had a six year personal relationship with Tiger Woods and has much more insight into what makes Tiger tick than just about anybody else in the golf world.

Bill M

Probably depends on the weightlifter, and what he was doing. The type of weight lifting is key. Its not true to say that weight lifting or getting bigger will inhibit movement. The body just doesn't react that way. Now that guy might do a lot of stuff that isn't full range of motion, who knows.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Quote:

You do know that Haney was a well-known golf instructor long before he worked with Woods, right? Apparently, Woods thought he was an "expert" on the golf swing for a number of years.  I would hardly call him a parasite. While I don't agree with some of his ideas, I sure wouldn't turn down a lesson from him.

Haney is such a joke...he just seems like he is constantly seeking media attention. I still can't get over the book, it was completely unnecessary.

From the OP link, he was being interviewed on Sirius. If you were famous enough to be asked to be interviewed, wouldn't you do it?  And I have to ask whether you in fact read his book. I though it was pretty good; not the Tiger-bashing like so many people tried to portray it to be.

Quote: You do know that Haney was a well-known golf instructor long before he worked with Woods, right? Apparently, Woods thought he was an "expert" on the golf swing for a number of years.  I would hardly call him a parasite. While I don't agree with some of his ideas, I sure wouldn't turn down a lesson from him. From the OP link, he was being interviewed on Sirius. If you were famous enough to be asked to be interviewed, wouldn't you do it?  And I have to ask whether you in fact read his book. I though it was pretty good; not the Tiger-bashing like so many people tried to portray it to be.

Please understand that for one I absolutely have read the book. To be honest, I actually did think it was a good book. My issue with the book is why did he write it in the first place? I would think that upon being a players swing coach on the PGA Tour, there is a mutual understanding of respect and privacy (between both player and coach) which should be honored even after your employment ends. I am not saying the book was painfully personal in regards to Tigers life. However there were certainly some anecdotes which should not have been included (Tigers interest in armed services, the interactions between Tiger and his wife etc.). I am against the fact he wrote the book altogether but he could have at least been more tasteful about it. That is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own ;)

Note: This thread is 3705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!