IGNORED

Grand Slam...will we ever see it?

GolfGuy123
Note: This thread is 3703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will we ever see a Grand Slam (not career) in our lifetimes?

• Haven't seen one, but will
    • Haven't seen one, and won't
    • Already saw one, and will see it again
    • Already saw one, but will not see another

I always wonder if in my lifetime (im 30)...I will witness someone accomplish the Grand Slam of golf. It would obviously be one of the most exciting and memorable moments in sporting history. I would also venture to say that it may be one of if not THE most difficult and unlikely achievements. However being such a huge fan of professional golf, I am holding onto hope that someone at some point will do it.

Curious about everyones thoughts on this topic. With the deep talent in professional golf today, that is most likely to keep growing and diversifying with players from around the world, are we now past the point where it is even a reasonable topic? Was the Tiger Slam the closest we will ever see?  Any other thoughts?

I fully expect to see Halley's Comet before a Grand Slam, so I think the Tiger Slam is as close as it's going to get. Golf is only going to get more competitive. Even if you just look at the career grand slam, there's only a few guys that I think have a realistic chance at that. Honestly I feel that just winning four majors in a career is a big deal.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always wonder if in my lifetime (im 30)...I will witness someone accomplish the Grand Slam of golf. It would obviously be one of the most exciting and memorable moments in sporting history. I would also venture to say that it may be one of if not THE most difficult and unlikely achievements. However being such a huge fan of professional golf, I am holding onto hope that someone at some point will do it.

Curious about everyones thoughts on this topic. With the deep talent in professional golf today, that is most likely to keep growing and diversifying with players from around the world, are we now past the point where it is even a reasonable topic? Was the Tiger Slam the closest we will ever see?  Any other thoughts?

Possible, but unlikely. No one currently playing except for Tiger has any chance whatsoever, IMO.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

There will be some that say Tiger did it when he won US Open 2000 The Open 2000 PGA 2000 Masters 2001, granted not in the same year but consecutive. Personally I think the calendar stipulation is splitting hairs he won them all concurrently.

• Upvote 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Entirely agree with flopster above...and I'm not even really a TW fan in any shape or form.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I think the Tiger slam will be as close as we come. There is so much talent on the PGA tour right now and the list of potential winners each and every week is extremely deep. In order for someone to pull off the grand slam I think that it would need to be someone with truly transcendent talent playing in a relatively "down" period (for talent) on tour and catching a good bit of luck along the way.

I'm assuming you mean a single-year Grand Slam?

No.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I will not say it's a 100% no. I think of anybody to do it, it would be Rory. I think he could easily win the PGA, the US open, and the Masters. The one to give him trouble would be The Open Championship. If he caught fire at each major he could win them all.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I will not say it's a [SIZE=13px]100% no. I think of anybody to do it, it would be Rory. I think he could easily win the PGA, the US open, and the Masters. The one to give him trouble would be The Open Championship. If he caught fire at each major he could win them all. [/SIZE]

Rory is on my short list of guys that can complete the career Grand Slam. All the majors in one year, though, highly unlikely. I wouldn't say 0% chance, but even if it's 0.01%, it's close enough to be effectively zero.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Well look at it this way. Roughly 116 years of having 4 majors in a year. Pre-masters it was the US open, the British Open, British Amateur, and US amateur. Only 1 time has it happened that one person won all 4 in one year. Right now that is 0.86%, so less than 1%. Though if we include Tiger holding all 4 in a row, not in a golfing year, then it is 1.72% in that instance.

So you are pretty close :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Well look at it this way. Roughly 116 years of having 4 majors in a year. Pre-masters it was the US open, the British Open, British Amateur, and US amateur. Only 1 time has it happened that one person won all 4 in one year. Right now that is 0.86%, so less than 1%. Though if we include Tiger holding all 4 in a row, not in a golfing year, then it is 1.72% in that instance.  So you are pretty close :-P

Thanks, I was too lazy to look it up so I just made up a number :-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

It is unlikely that anyone will win all four.  However, the odds are better for the one guy with 14 majors, who is the current #1 and won the most tournaments last year over anyone else.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't think it will happen, but you never know. Tiger could catch fire this year or next, or maybe it's somebody that we've never even heard about yet.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

With how competitive and deep the fields of the PGA Tour are nowdays, I doubt we will see it.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Well look at it this way. Roughly 116 years of having 4 majors in a year. Pre-masters it was the US open, the British Open, British Amateur, and US amateur. Only 1 time has it happened that one person won all 4 in one year. Right now that is 0.86%, so less than 1%. Though if we include Tiger holding all 4 in a row, not in a golfing year, then it is 1.72% in that instance.

So you are pretty close

The situations are not remotely comparable.  You can draw nothing statistical form Jones' Slam.  Most members of this board could not name any other winner of the British Amateur nor could they name who the semifinalists were in the one he won.  The pros were FAR batter in Jones' day than the amateurs, so even ignoring the tremendous increase in the number of great  players, Jones wasn't even competing in the best of his own era in half of his majors.

Besides the Tiger slam, Tiger has had 3 years in which he won 2 majors.  Let him play his other 2 majors in those years against competition that relatively speaking is not even up to the level of the Buy.com tour and then we might have some statistical resemblance between now and Jones' era.  Same for the 5 times Jack won 2 majors in a year. Lest anyone think I am just plumping Tiger.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!