IGNORED

First impressions of my new MP-54's

Dables
Note: This thread is 3736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So it got above 40 today so I grabbed the new sticks (and the old ones) and headed to the range. Just for some background, I'm coming out of JPX-800's, which I liked, into the 54's. I also looked hard at the AP2's and the Cally X-forged. I was looking for something a little more precise, a little less offset, with a little more feel. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the performance of the 54's since I ordered them, so I was curious to hit them side by side with my JPX's, which were the longest irons I've ever had

- First observation is that these look really clean at address all the way through the bag. Being a Lefty, didn't really get to see this before I ordered them, so it's a relief. Almost like looking down at an oversized blade.

- I'd heard a lot about distance loss with these clubs, but I don't see it. On the sweet spot they're longer than my JPX's. face doesn't really feel hot, just, well, pure.

- The biggest surprise to me was miss-hits. I expected them to be less forgiving. It's interesting, really. These clubs are pretty close to being just as forgiving as the oversized JPX's. When you hit it, it doesn't sound good, doesn't feel good (especially in 40 degree weather) but when you look up, the results are much better than expected. I was catching 7 irons on the toe and was still getting 150 onto the practice green with it. I really can't complain about that.

- I think the XP 105 shafts are outstanding. I got the feel and the ball flight I was looking for and they were really easy to swing. I felt like I could always turn it up a notch if I needed to get an extra 5 yards out of a club, while I always felt that was a bit of a struggle with the DG's.

-I'm assuming it's as much the shaft as it is the club, but I'm getting a really, really high ball flight out of these clubs (for me) I've got an extremely flat swing and play a low draw most of the time, but the ball flight I get out of these clubs, especially the long irons, is absolutely beautiful. It's not a balloon, just a high, penetrating draw. Definately a more workable club than the JPX, too. it's been quite a while since I've been able to a big high fade with an iron, but I can make these do what I want them to.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with my choice. Unfortunately I was hitting off mats so I can't really speak to the turf interaction, but I love the shape of the sole, so I'm thinking they'll be pretty good

I've had them in the bag for a little while now (full review to come sometime soon), and so far I really like them. Last year I had the opportunity to review both the MP-64s and the MP-H4s, and really liked both of those, but I think the 54s are even better. They have almost the same look at address as the 64s (just a little bigger), and almost all of the forgiveness that the H4s have. They also have the typical Mizuno feel that many love.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!