IGNORED

Help me demystify the grip.

jscomp
Note: This thread is 3733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hand anatomy for reference: http://www.assh.org/Public/HandAnatomy/Pages/default.aspx

1) Is there supposed to be play in the grip, or is the club supposed to be immovable in the grip? (Please verify by checking your grip throughout the swing, slowly if it helps.)

2)What's the correct left thumb contact with the grip?

A) Entire left thumb lays on the grip.

B) Only the thenar eminence and distal phalanx make contact with the grip (with the metacarpophalangeal joint flexed and interphalangeal joint extended).

C) Only the thumb's distal phalanx should be touching the grip.

3) If you remove the glove, is your grip still secure throughout the swing or does the club shift around?

4) Do different fingers and areas of the palm apply different pressure at different points in the swing? If so, how and where?

5) Do any fingers change position during the swing, and is this normal or proper? (In my case, my left thumb's metacarpophalangeal joint has a tendency to hyperextend towards the top of the backswing unless I make a conscious effort to flex it in order to support the club. Also, my left hand middle, ring and pinky fingers tend to loosen a bit in response to gravity and the club's momentum at the top of the backswing.)

This is a big question but the last 3 fingers of the left hand and middle 2 of the right need to be on squarely (for an RH player).How this is done is mystifying since al the pros do it but have different ways of getting there.As for the left thumb I think needs to more extended than not,but again this is a point of debate.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

Note: This thread is 3733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!