IGNORED

2014 Winter Olympics

dsc123
Note: This thread is 3705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I tried moguls, my knees hurt after like only 3 of them, of course I wasn't doing them right. Skiers, man they have nutcrackers for legs, no pun intended. John Williams... genius. So inspiring... @3:40 on, spine chilling [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdOFgDQIn0[/VIDEO] My favorite commercial so far. [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57e4t-fhXDs[/VIDEO]
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I watched the moguls event yesterday.  How do their knees survive doing that? @cipher , what kind of shock absorber could I get installed in my thighs to allow me to do that?

McPherson struts I think? ;) Honestly I have always wondered the same thing. Don't know how their knees can take it. I was more of a snowboarder myself. I did some mogul sking early in life though. If you get out rhythm...look out!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I don't mind the tape delay but I feel like they're not putting much content on tv.  Saturday it was only on from 2:30-7 or something?  I guess that sounds like a lot, but I've gotta think they've got enough content to fill a day.  Hell, NBC had soccer on most of the morning today.

The slopestyle snowboarding was awesome.  I'm can't tell the difference between a 70 point run and a 93 point run, but they're all damn impressive to me.  I can't believe those people can do it long enough to make the olympics before killing themselves.  It looks unbelievably dangerous.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I've been watching online, which requires you sign in with your provider account. I can't take the network channel coverage and am not bothering with the other cable channels. I want to watch whatever I want, whenever I want, in full, no cutaways. Online - no commercials, no puff pieces. Watch live. Watch whatever past event you want, in full, pause, rr/ff. Not 1080 but good enough. Being able to watch this way I'm really glad I have my Mac hooked up to my primary TV.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Errr. Really, a piece on Tonya Harding? Do we really want to re-live that? Is that more worthy than live action? Spit. Phatooey.

Steve

Errr. Really, a piece on Tonya Harding? Do we really want to re-live that? Is that more worthy than live action? Spit. Phatooey.

I hate all this silly "human interest" crap.  I don't FREAKING care if Suzy Dingosmith loves her puppy Snuggles or some such irrelevancy.

Take it all out and you have time to cover 50% more actual events.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Love the zoom in on the circular targets during the biathlon - wonder how big the bullets are. Even when they're off, it's not by much. We as golfers walk (or ride) to our ball and have a pretty big target to hit. Their heart is pumping way faster and have barely any margin for error.

That Russian figure skater, Yulia. OK, I know nothing about skating, and even I can tell she is a foot better than the rest. Holy Toledo she makes it look easy.

Steve

I hate all this silly "human interest" crap.  I don't FREAKING care if Suzy Dingosmith loves her puppy Snuggles or some such irrelevancy.

It makes me crazy too!  Mary Carillo going to Siberia was a complete waste too!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Love the zoom in on the circular targets during the biathlon - wonder how big the bullets are. Even when they're off, it's not by much. We as golfers walk (or ride) to our ball and have a pretty big target to hit. Their heart is pumping way faster and have barely any margin for error.  That Russian figure skater, Yulia. OK, I know nothing about skating, and even I can tell she is a foot better than the rest. Holy Toledo she makes it look easy.

They're shooting .22LR at 50 meters. Target is about a 1.5" for prone and 4.5" for standing.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

I agree somewhat.  Somebody mentioned a Tonya Harding piece and a Siberia piece, neither of which sound particularly interesting to me either.  However, I like some of the little backstories they do on the athletes.  Without at least somewhat of a rooting interest, these are just a bunch of silly sports that nobody cares about watching 98.8% (I did the math) of the time.  I liked learning about the US ice dancers moms.  I was fascinated by the moguls girls newfound obsession with homemaking, and the mother of all puff stories (from the wayback machine in 2008) that I will never forget, Eric Moussambani.

Love the zoom in on the circular targets during the biathlon - wonder how big the bullets are. Even when they're off, it's not by much. We as golfers walk (or ride) to our ball and have a pretty big target to hit. Their heart is pumping way faster and have barely any margin for error.

OK, so maybe you noticed this as well.  When those guys laid down, you could see how hard they were breathing just by watching the end of the gun rapidly rising and falling, rising and falling, rising and falling, then all of a sudden, a second before they are about to pull the trigger, all of the movement just stops.  Very, very impressive to watch.

Now I'm not sure where that sport got its start - seems like an odd pairing of two things they just pulled out of a hat - but I must admit I enjoyed watching it.

EDIT: @David in FL that is fascinating.  I don't think I realized that the targets were of different sizes for the 2 different styles, because they looked exactly the same.  It was a bummer when they didn't show the actual targets ... for some guys it was just a graphic.  I felt bad for the Russian in one of the races I saw because he missed one target and lost by 8 or 10 seconds (I think) and I'm pretty sure that penalty lap has to be on the order of 25-30 seconds or so.

I also wonder if those little white circles ever malfunction.

The Tanya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan thing might be my favorite event in sports history.  Nothing like that will ever happen again.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

That Russian figure skater, Yulia. OK, I know nothing about skating, and even I can tell she is a foot better than the rest. Holy Toledo she makes it look easy.

I remember reading some stories years ago about how the best Biathletes have the ability to slow their heart rate much more quickly than other people when they stop to shoot. It seemed to go beyond just what could be expected through better fitness.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the best golfers could do the same thing.

Olympic competitor almost walked into open elevator shaft, bobsledder does this to stuck bathroom door - Kool-aide!

Steve

Olympic competitor almost walked into open elevator shaft, bobsledder does this to stuck bathroom door - Kool-aide!

There's an entire twitter feed about the problems surrounding the Olympic village.  Some of it's hilarious.....and some just downright scary.

In David's bag....

The Tanya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan thing might be my favorite event in sports history.  Nothing like that will ever happen again.

The closest rink to my house is in Stoneham, MA on Nancy Kerrigan way.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Is no one looking forward to Men's Hockey!? It's always an incredible tournament. You're talking about the elite of the elite here. I know that a lot of people disagree with putting professional athletes into an amateur event like the Olympics but they do the same with Basketball and it'll be the same with Golf.

Anyways, it's a killer tournament and I'm thinking Canada can walk away with a repeat this year (hoping lol). Russia is going to be the toughest opponent mainly because they're definitely going to want to win this on home ice. Sweden will be tough as always and I don't think the U.S. will medal this year. The U.S always struggles on an international ice surface as does Canada but Canada's depth is almost unmatched. Canada can compete with 4 teams with all of the talent they have!

Bob Costas ignored the warnings and used the water in his Hotel to wash his face.  Now Matt Lauer is being flown in to relieve him of duty.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I'm pretty vocal about NBC and its broadcasting/streaming inadequacies, but the Bob Costas pink eye doesn't bother me as much as some of his announcing does.

Steve

Note: This thread is 3705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!