IGNORED

Another beginner...

Note: This thread is 3689 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello All,

First post...Ive done quite a bit of research and cant seem to come to a popular conclusion...any oferings are greatly appreciated.

Ill try my best to get right to the point...Im new to golf, formally introduced in August 2013. Need Clubs!!

I am in love with the game and looking forward to devoting this up coming season to understanding fundementals of swing and trying to hone in on what and how to do whats needed at any given point.

Anyway...

I am in the market for irons, I have given myself a budget of $250-$300 for a set of used clubs...preferably clubs with resale value for down the road...blah, blah...not interested in clones.

My question comes due to the fact that EVERY post Ive read where a beginner is esentially asking "What clubs for a beginner?" they are quickly bombarded with answers/comments regarding,  getting fitted, get lessons, test the clubs, its not the arrow...its the indian etc...

Now, I understand and respect these types of responses and plan to take some lessons...what I dont plan to do is get fitted until I can swing at least 75-80% consistantly.

Therefore, what Irons can you all recommend for a situation like this?

Ive read the wax and wane responses about "complete sets" and I dont believe I want to go this route but will consider with care.

My first job was at a country club and Ive loved the look, style, prestige(?-no offense) and in general, what has been said about Titleist since those high school days. With that said Im interested in finding a used Titleist set mainly, and therefore, I feel, going to Dicks, which is the only local brick and mortar in my area, to "try" out all the NEW clubs will not do much for me...

To go just a bit deeper...I enjoy the idea of learning my swing on clubs that ARE NOT super game improvement...I imagine it makes playing more fun when you have a club that allows you to hit decently almost every shot because of its forgivness but I am weary of this because I feel it wont help teach me what Im doing wrong...

Are Titleist CBs harder to hit than AP1s?

Im interested in the 775s, 775s, 690cb...Ive tried to read about every club Titleist has had to offer throughout time but sometimes the info can be overwhelming and you just need to see what the players have to say...

So there it is long post, I apologize, Im not necessarily dead set on the ist therefore all opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

But you have made up your mind already. Personally I would encourage you to get irons with a good amount of offset for the first year or so. The reason for this is that you may not be aware of what offset is or what it does to help you learn the basics. When you have experienced those clubs for a while you will know when its time to start bringing the face forward and how to handle those shots swingwise.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I agree, you seem like you want titleist irons at a lot less than market price. I'd just be arguing with you if I told you otherwise.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe the AP1's are probably the most forgiving of the ones you listed. However, I would encourage you to widen your search. Titleist clubs are great, but they might not necessarily be the right fit for you. Just hit as many different clubs as you can until you find something you like. Personally, I think the irons you listed are too advanced for someone that is just picking up the game, but it sounds like you've got your mind made up.

Tyler Martin

I believe the AP1's are probably the most forgiving of the ones you listed. However, I would encourage you to widen your search. Titleist clubs are great, but they might not necessarily be the right fit for you. Just hit as many different clubs as you can until you find something you like. Personally, I think the irons you listed are too advanced for someone that is just picking up the game, but it sounds like you've got your mind made up.

I tend to agree. I have the Titleist 735CM's, my Son has the TaylorMade R7's which are more of a game improvement club, and I can tell you this from my having borrowed his clubs when I started back playing after a 10+yr layoff, the R7's were much easier to hit than my clubs, and I use the R 7's as an example. I would also encourage you to try as many clubs as possible.

I know some folks here don't like buying used clubs that you can't try out, but I have had good luck buying some of my clubs from craigslist and ebay, you just have to be really careful who you deal with, and all of the clubs I own, I never got to try any of them before I bought.

I would also encourage you to find a Instructor that you can trust and take some lessons, that will advance your playing technique faster than trying to do it on your own, of course there are exceptions, ;like Bubba Watson. Good Luck, and welcome to the site.

Thank you all for your input...you may be right, i may have my mind made up but i guess i dont want to believe it...yet I also feel that is why I came here...perhaps to get either talked further into them or to get talked out of them....and no I am not familiar with offset, Thank you TRICKYPUT, now I wont be sleeping tonight. haha

firing different clubs (make and model) at me is good and welcomed...I will take my time to make a final purchase...I just dont really know where else to start with Titleist heavily on the mind.

At first I was going to get the Strata Complete Set...then I came back to Ti then i thought about burners then got caught up with adams quite a bit but im not sure I like the idea of hybrid irons...then after some real research into the different clubs TI has made over the years, I was swept into finding the "best" set for a beginner.

I have a weird but certain disdain for Taylormade...only because that is what my cousin and his step dad play...actually, dads is moving towards Nike with every purchase these days.

I also have a asthetic problem, I like the thinner look...which I feel I prob shouldnt be concerned with this early in the game.

oh yeah...last thing. I just moved from Northern VA to a fairly small town in central pa...as mentioned in my earlier post the only place we have locally is a Dick's in terms of "testing" clubs and Im not sure how testing new clubs would help me find what would work for me in that I am looking for older used...

peace!

I bought new AP1s not even a year into playing and they are fine for a beginner.

However, asking to pay 250-300 for used clubs with *resale value* is going to be a tough one.

I know when I bought new irons, that trade in value for my AP1s was $115 - which was not enough for me to do anything other than hold onto them - I'd rather have the second set for those odd times someone visits and does not want to travel with clubs.

Try out what you can, and if fat clubs bother you, no matter how much they could help your game, they wont if you dont like the look.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I played the AP1s for 5 years, just happened to hit the Callaway X - hots better when I was sitting on a bunch of pro shop dollars that I had to spend by the end of last year

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Along with the idea of clubs looking a certain way (thin) for me, I also couple that with the notion that I am weary of "Super Game Improvement" clubs because of concerns regarding the possibility of not learning with every swing, if you will...

I bring this up because Ive read so much where people say to beginners to go "find the biggest cavity back for maximum forgiveness"...I appreciate some forgivness and by no means am I saying that I need "Players Irons" in order to play optimally...but I feel like I really want that sense of swing dynamics.

Is this an unpopular opinion?

Gracias!

A quick continuation of my previous comment...

I just came across this quote from site administrator, IACAS ...and it is exactly what I was trying to convey...

"I've long sided with "better" clubs than I am as a player. Ping Zings or Eye 2s may be very forgiving clubs, for example, but I never thought they'd help me improve as much as playing, say, my Titleist 962Bs or my 680s or my old Mac blades. Put another way, I kinda figured that if I played clubs designed for a bogey golfer, I'd probably always be a bogey golfer, and I wouldn't learn the finer points of shotmaking, etc. "

food for thought.

This is where I am with my daughter. She started playing with a set of Acuity. Now I want to get her a better set hopefully to help her improve her game.

Really keep getting turned around on what clubs might be better for her. I have talked to Taylormade and also Callaway for suggestions.  We can't afford to have a custom set done for her and we live in a small town with the closest shops about 2 hours away and she is busy with school, sports or work every day.

Ed

There's nothing wrong with a beginner learning to play golf clubs designed for beginners (SGI) - there's plenty of time to upgrade later on once you've developed a repeatable swing.    I put over 200 rounds on a set of Burner Plus irons until I felt I was ready for GI clubs.   Honestly, as a beginner, you shouldn't be worrying about the finer points of shotmaking, working the ball or feedback - your hands will sting just as much from toe shots off SGI clubs.     Simply making consistant pure contact & not hitting it fat or thin should be your focus now (IMHO of course)...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Appreciate the chime in OUGHTOH, its a pain in tha ass having moved from an area where golf was everywhere to an area where there isnt much...best of luck with your search!

What would you recommend as a used set INTHEHOLE, the prices I have found on used clubs all seem pretty much comparable for what Im looking for.

quick example:

TM Burner 2.0 gun-metal 6-AW = $160 + $20 S&H; (not even a full iron set and customized length) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylormade-Burner-2-0-Gunmetal-Black-Irons-6-AW-Alidila-NV-85-1-Inch-short-/161214660032?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item2589247dc0

Titleist 690cb Forged 3-PW = $175+Free S&H; http://www.ebay.com/itm/221368585151?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName;=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If I may, this is a only portion of what Im looking at:

Strata 13pc (not crazy about complete sets-durability concerns from reviews Ive read)

Vokey

$240

or

Stand Bag

905R Driver

975F fairway

585.H hybrid

775cb irons

Vokey

dont need putter

$428

The ~$200 difference may come down to be the deciding factor or maybe Ill just keep researching...this is a non stop cycle, as OUGHTOH said.  I will say, those Gun metal Burners are quite pretty...

The 2 sets your looking at will have some resale value, imho, after shopping a LONG time for clubs, the Strata set will yield next to nada. BTW, on ebay, there are some sellers that allow you to make an offer, I have done this, and got a driver for less than what some people pay to have their clubs re griped..

Good Luck.

Thanks for the input HAMMER 4, as I mentioned in an earlier comment, resale is a concern but in the end, it is not that much of a deciding factor.

In terms of complete sets I like the Strata over any others Ive found...the Adams sets are pricey and then also come in the idea of hybrid irons and the fatter look of them...not very interesting to me for whatever reason.

Sometimes I think I may be too picky but then I think...Funk that, its money spent (which this venture is def in the luxury catagory for me) and its a personal game in a sense, so I say, keep those intuitions. Its just nice to have a guide (golf forums) for parts of the process.

Anyway, The two iron sets i posted were just examples for price comparison...though I like the 690cb, I am looking a the 775cb.

I have seen the O.B.O option...figured Ill give it a shot if I come across it.

Thanks again all for your thoughts and opinions...keep them coming.

IMHO a starter set of irons is like a starter home. Do you want a one bedroom to live in for a year and move on to the big house down the street? Or are you looking for a home that will suit your needs, help you learn the basics and suit you for a couple years in case you cant sell it? My word of advice is don't get caught up in the "brand" games. No doubt titleist is an excellent manufactuer, but they are probably the most expensive on the market as well. I used adams Tight lies for my first three years as a gopher and they worked wonderfully for me. I moved on to the burner 2.0's and love these as well. Unless were raised by the trump himself, we don't buy a Ferrari as our first car, clubs should be the same in my eyes. As for what to get? I think many guys on here will tell you the burner lines are great for high handicappers down to scratch golfers. You can find good deals on these clubs on TM preowned and ebay and I believe Dicks may have them for around $300 right now brand new, 4-AW.

Appreciate the chime in OUGHTOH, its a pain in tha ass having moved from an area where golf was everywhere to an area where there isnt much...best of luck with your search!

What would you recommend as a used set INTHEHOLE, the prices I have found on used clubs all seem pretty much comparable for what Im looking for.

Cufftofist,

Based on my experience only, I would highly recommend the TM Burner Plus irons for any beginning golfer.     Like I said, I put over 200 rounds on mine in 2 years  (I have the OCD thing bad) & I could still be playing them, I just wanted something new & thought I paid my dues & wanted to try GI class clubs (again, the golf OCD thing).      Best part for you is that they sold for $379 3 years ago when I bought mine & now they're on sale for $249  !!    For your price range, don't have to go used if you don't need current year clubs.       It's always nice to get shiny new clubs as opposed to used clubs too ...

https://www.carlsgolfland.com/shop/taylormade-burner-plus-irons.html (read the customer reviews)

Good luck ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 3689 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!