IGNORED

Snow Golf

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Friends of mine who decided to play golf on their course during the snow in DC Metro area, crazy, OK or does it hurt the course later?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Friends of mine who decided to play golf on their course during the snow in DC Metro area, crazy, OK or does it hurt the course later?

I believe(not sure) it can hurt the greens.  Looks like fun though.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Definitely looks like fun, probably should have posted this under the Winter Depression thread. :-D

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Seems like fun...Id try it but the course is under a foot of snow here in western MD.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade Rocketballz Irons:  6-aw

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

Good question.  Maybe @MS256 or @wils5150 can give some insight.

Frost in the morning down here will result in a delay of start times until it clears off because it can damage the course, but snow?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Frost in the morning down here will result in a delay of start times until it clears off because it can damage the course, but snow?

Good point I think it all depends on if the grass on the greens is frozen.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I was surprised that the course was open.

-Jerry

A fivesome in the snow? I'd hate to be behind those guys!

Just realized......someone's taking the picture too. :-O

In David's bag....

I am guessing the ground doesnt really freeze down there so it probably is ok. kind of like up here when you get that freaky early/late snow fall. once it melts your fine

I am guessing the ground doesnt really freeze down there so it probably is ok. kind of like up here when you get that freaky early/late snow fall. once it melts your fine

What about the post above where they're playing in the snow in DC......or is that what you're talking about?

In David's bag....

I've seen damage like this before from people playing on snowed/frosted greens.  Fortunately most often the footprints are that of deer or coyote but sometimes it's people too.

Brad

What about the post above where they're playing in the snow in DC......or is that what you're talking about?

thats what I am talking about. playing on frost of frozen turf is no good but if you are in a area that doesnt freeze it shouldnt do much if any damage

The grass in the DC area definitely does freeze, but maybe its possible that it unfreezes before the snow melts away, or that it hasn't frozen yet.

What course is that?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

National Golf Club at Tantallon in Fort Washington MD

-Jerry

I'm sure the course would be fine with that amount of snow assuming the ground isn't frozen. Probably similar to a damp day where the course is a bit wet. It doesn't look too cold either by the clothes that they're wearing.

Will W

I think it was Mid-30's that day.

-Jerry

I hope none of them stepped across each others' putting lines. Interesting that the greens look like they are accumulating more than other areas of the photo.

I'm in Herndon, VA, and I thought most courses were closed in the snow. Like someone said above, I know tee times in the morning are pushed back due to frost (happens regularly at Twin Lakes where I play frequently)... so I just assumed that included snow and never even thought of going out.

Right now, we're bracing for about 15 hours of snow starting tonight around 9pm. Maybe the Herndon muni course will be open tomorrow!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 3699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!