IGNORED

Stop Aiming at the Flag!!! #DeadCenter

Note: This thread is 1284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Risk reward, short club to tucked pin no water every pro going at that pin.

Water one side, they go to side of pin away from penalty.

I think your avg distance hole is off, its 24 foot range.

There might be variance, distance to hole gir and overall distance to hole.

But 24 foot putts is avg from stats I remember

150 yard shot is 450 feet, pros are 95% accurate or better

More like 97% accurate on the greens they hit at 150 yds

Pros are hitting wedge or 9iron from 150

Their gir is higher from 150 than the overall avg gir

Pros start to score at 150 yds

Non pros usually get close at 100 yards

2013 PGA tour median distance to the hole (125-150) yards. there are 180 PGA tour players on this list, the 90th is the median.

2013 Median average distance to the hole on all approach shots from all distances. Once again 90th is the median.

Can't beat the stats man.

2013 Median green in regulation percentage from 125-150 yards, again 90th is the median. Even the top GIR from this distance is only 80% not 95% like you think it is.

Yes their GIR is higher than their average, here is their average for all shots, only 65.25%

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's no doubt the pros aim at or close to the pins. I saw a par 3 at Riviera that was 160 yards and the pin was on the very right. I forget who it was but he hit the ball pin high in the middle of the green, and looked very disappointed. Nick Faldo proceeded to say "he won't be very happy with that one".

Why is your post written in pidgin English?  Also, you have not provide reference source links to your sketchy stats.  Posters who make up stats have a 37% chance of being believed.

Stats aside, I'm giving him a half point for making it through a comment without mentioning how many Tour players he plays with.

I just don't get it... The OP clearly prefaced the post with the fact that for "non pros" it would help reduce their scorecard if they just aimed for the middle of the green instead of attacking the pin.. Now.. Anyone here have data to prove otherwise? Or logic to help disprove the statement? If not then bringing up what PGA pros do really has no standing in this discussion!
  • Upvote 4

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I said way back good strategy for hacks but skilled players hit near pin Then someone said tiger in 00 was hitting to middle greens Fact is if you put a pro near scoring range they knock down pins thats 125/150 yards for pros. Top 100 on tour hit 75% gir from 150 yds http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.329.html Top 100 tour within 25 feet from 150 yds like I said http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.339.html So if you really see pros up close and play with them you know they pin hunting all day 450 yd par 4 they are driver wedge Or short iron Theyre next to the hole all day within 25 feet Their good shots are within 10 feet Your average golfer has no idea how good pros are, no clue really.

• Administrator

Your average golfer has no idea how good pros are, no clue really.

This thread is not about the top 100 golfers in the world. Their stats are illustrative, but you've failed to connect those illustrative properties the other 99% of golfers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

150 yard shot is 450 feet, pros are 95% accurate or better

More like 97% accurate on the greens they hit at 150 yds

150 in its 15 foot circles. From 200 in its 25 foot circles.

Just some things you quoted

Fact is if you put a pro near scoring range they knock down pins thats 125/150 yards for pros.

Top 100 on tour hit 75% gir from 150 yds

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.329.html

Top 100 tour within 25 feet from 150 yds like I said

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.339.html

Care to admit you just changed your stats?

Thanks for taking my stats and using them. I did post pictures of them you know. I like how you suddenly changed from 95% to 75%. I like how you suddenly changed from 15 foot to 25 feet for 150 yard shots.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The thread was about hacks aiming center green I said good for hacks Then someone starts saying pros are 40 feet from pins, so I showed inside 150 pros knock down pins. Also someone said 00 TW was not aiming for pins. The stats show my posts were right, someone said back it up I did. Since you keep blocking me from threads, I see how you run this board. If it goes against your opinion you block people Your 5sk concept is seriously flawed. Steady head WRONG No pro has a steady head, it moves sideways and down. Seems you thought Hogans 5 lessons were a good format to copy Hogan dipped twice in his swing, so much for a steady head You just cant stand opinions from knowledgeable golfers that differ from you So you get the last word by blocking them

The thread was about hacks aiming center green

Wrong, read it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by impactswing

Your 5sk concept is seriously flawed.

Steady head WRONG

No pro has a steady head, it moves sideways and down.

Seems you thought Hogans 5 lessons were a good format to copy

Hogan dipped twice in his swing, so much for a steady head

Laughable, you clearly do not know what the key means then.

You just cant stand opinions from knowledgeable golfers that differ from you

That seems to be you actually.  And what they care about here is giving the correct information.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

The thread was about hacks aiming center green I said good for hacks Then someone starts saying pros are 40 feet from pins, so I showed inside 150 pros knock down pins. Also someone said 00 TW was not aiming for pins. The stats show my posts were right, someone said back it up I did. Since you keep blocking me from threads, I see how you run this board. If it goes against your opinion you block people Your 5sk concept is seriously flawed. Steady head WRONG No pro has a steady head, it moves sideways and down. Seems you thought Hogans 5 lessons were a good format to copy Hogan dipped twice in his swing, so much for a steady head You just cant stand opinions from knowledgeable golfers that differ from you So you get the last word by blocking them

:-\

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
Then someone starts saying pros are 40 feet from pins, so I showed inside 150 pros knock down pins.

Someone also showed how you've lied and changed your stats. You failed to respond to that. [quote name="impactswing" url="/t/72445/stop-aiming-at-the-flag/150#post_951844"]Since you keep blocking me from threads, I see how you run this board.[/quote] You've been restricted from three threads, and they all have to do with your incorrect ideas about abnormal ground conditions. [quote name="impactswing" url="/t/72445/stop-aiming-at-the-flag/150#post_951844"]If it goes against your opinion you block people[/quote] We encourage debate and discussion. We despise trolls, though. [quote name="impactswing" url="/t/72445/stop-aiming-at-the-flag/150#post_951844"]Your 5sk concept is seriously flawed. Steady head WRONG No pro has a steady head, it moves sideways and down. Seems you thought Hogans 5 lessons were a good format to copy Hogan dipped twice in his swing, so much for a steady head[/quote] You clearly don't understand Key #1. And just because we are using 5 does not mean we were copying Hogan's book. One of his entire lessons was on grip was it not? Regardless, for this trolling, off-topic posts, and your behavior in other threads, you've been placed in the Penalty Box for a few days. When you are released, I encourage actual debate and not a continuation of your trolling behavior. I like very much to defend my ideas and/or be exposed to new possibilities.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am NOT a PGA Pro. I know, some of you may think I could be with a <10 index, but I'm not.

This year, I will aim for the middle of every green from 100+ yards out. And I will be happy when I hit the green regardless of how far I am from the pin. I play some big greens so I could be a long way from the pin when I hit the center of the green. Again, all this assumes that it will stop snowing someday.

When I swim (indoors), I "play" my home course -- one hole per lap. I imagine where I want to drive the ball, which club I use, what kind of approach I have, which club I use, and I imagine hitting the green. Last swim, I imagined aiming for the center of every green except the few three-shot par 5's. It felt great hitting so many greens. I'm trying to groove that good feeling of hitting the green to help me when I actual play -- instead of just imagining that I'm playing while the snow flies.

My new motto, "Real golfers aim for the center of the green."

I don't care what the pros do.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Steady head WRONG

No pro has a steady head, it moves sideways and down.

Hogan dipped twice in his swing, so much for a steady head

You clearly haven't read up on anything about 5SK or you would know that there is a fair bit of latitude in the definition of a "steady (not immobile) head"

Seems you thought Hogans 5 lessons were a good format to copy

Actually, I've heard from very reliable sources that the 5 was inspired by:

There was a brief legal dust-up until the people at 5 Alive said, "wait a minute, are we being idiotic here?? It's not like we can really trademark the number 5 can we?"

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You clearly haven't read up on anything about 5SK or you would know that there is a fair bit of latitude in the definition of a "steady (not immobile) head"

Actually, I've heard from very reliable sources that the 5 was inspired by:

There was a brief legal dust-up until the people at 5 Alive said, "wait a minute, are we being idiotic here?? It's not like we can really trademark the number 5 can we?"

Nah.  It was the Jackson Five .  Michael, Jackie, Tito, Marlon and Jermaine.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

back to the subject of the thread….

Anyone tried the advice in the OP? Please share results.

I'm looking out my window at a near white-out. Again. I'm visiting/lurking here to avoid shoveling snow. Again. Is it normal for a grown man to cry when it starts snowing? My five keys are bend my knees, don't take too much snow on the shovel, keep my back straight, throw snow down wind, avoid starting the job for as long as possible.

As much as I love a spitting match about keeping my head still and the real five keys, I'd really love to hear about people's experiences aiming at the center of green based on handicap and yardage.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

back to the subject of the thread….

Yeah I did it pretty much the entirety of 2013. As big as the greens are I only hit about 42% of them aiming for the middle. That's why I don't look at flags outside of 100 yds and I'm there often because I already missed the green once. In seriousness though it rarely enters my thoughts, my average approach shot is in the 160-190 range and expectations aren't high from that far out. We don't have many short par 4's. Doesn't do much for my par 3 scoring average either.

Dave :-)

I'm still shaking off some rust, so my scores haven't been as good as they could have been. Yesterday was my first round since September. I aimed at the center of the green both yesterday and today. Today I even forgot my GPS, so I had to go by course markings. When I hit a halfway decent approach shot these two days, it took me at most 3 to get down -- two if I hit the green. Threes were caused by hitting to a good location (say, left or right of the green) and hitting a poor chip (again, rust). Once I'm back to practicing and am playing more regularly, I should have better results... but this isn't a strictly measurable thing, since I don't intend to go back to accounting for the pin's position on the green on anything outside of 60 yards. One anecdote -- the #2 hole at my home course is the #1 handicap. It's a long par 4, and I'm generally happy with a five on that hole. Yesterday, easy five -- had six feet for a four, even, following a decent chip. Alas, I missed. Today, I hit GIR (which... that on its own is amazing): middle of the green, pin in front, not really flat going down to it. Easy two putt, made par on a hole where I'm usually happy with bogey and not too upset about a double.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I really didn't want to participate in this discussion but there is a lot of irrational behavior here. I have gotten down to 10 by low risk shots. Aiming at the center of the fairways and greens I was at a PGA event a few weeks ago and the tour pros look like they were aiming at the pins to me. I have no idea what goes on in TW head or any tour pro to say they are just aiming at the middle of the green or the pin From what I am observing at a live PGA stop I would say most of they are aiming for the pin with their irons and if they are not likely direct at the pin they are aiming slightly or right of the pin Their shotmaking is too precise for a 10 handicapper to even phathom how they do it

Note: This thread is 1284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!