IGNORED

Stop Aiming at the Flag!!! #DeadCenter

Note: This thread is 1311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you get that only the best player  has the right opinion is an old idea?

Usually  put forth by the kind of people who write stuff like "stop being a dick in the process".

Oh what a class act you are!

And I have beaten a lot of former touring pros and to follow "your" reasoning ; if OP is or was so all knowing and that is what made him or makes him so great he would be on the PGA tour now.

Does anyone even understand what this guy is saying? Is English his second language? I'm having a hard time following his posts.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And I have beaten a lot of former touring pros

Who are they?

I only know one and I'll put my money on him against any 3 handicap every time. I'm not a big gambler but I like sure bets.

Yes. The OP made a sweeping statement that has some merit but is not entirely accurate.

eg. There's a Par 3 on the back nine at Kinloch (NZ) which is a top 100 course. I wouldn't aim at the flag, I wouldn't even aim at the centre of the green, heck, I wouldn't even aim at the green, I would actually aim to miss the green right and back myself to get up and down.

The Par 5 1st at Riverside Oaks has a green that is 70 metres wide, biggest green in Australia, if the flag is cut short right, do you really expect a single figure marker to aim 35 metres left of the flag with a wedge just because it's a GIR?

Extremely fast greens are another example where you must keep the ball under the hole at all costs, even if it means missing short.

I'm sure the OP means well, but I would like to think he could explain how good players manage the way they attack or play a hole a little better than he has.

Guess we'll have to buy the book!

They are all former tour pros for a reason.

Can you guess what it is?

I can't even "guess" who you are talking to most of the time.

• Upvote 1

They are all former tour pros for a reason.

Can you guess what it is?

Because you told them to aim at the flag and they got so many penalty strokes they lost their cards and became 18 handicappers?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

And I have beaten a lot of former touring pros and to follow "your" reasoning ; if OP is or was so all knowing and that is what made him or makes him so great he would be on the PGA tour now.

Dave is also one of the best instructors in the world. I would recommend re-reading the OP, lots of good info.

Also please learn to multi-quote

Newbie Helpers - Little Things Everyone Expects and Asks of Users

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

eg. There's a Par 3 on the back nine at Kinloch (NZ) which is a top 100 course. I wouldn't aim at the flag, I wouldn't even aim at the centre of the green, heck, I wouldn't even aim at the green, I would actually aim to miss the green right and back myself to get up and down.

Maybe that's what you would do, but stats say that's not the right play. You have a much better chance of two putting (even if the first one is a long putt) vs. getting up and down from off the green. The entire point of this thread is that being on is better than being off and the way you get on more frequently is to aim to hit the center.

The Par 5 1st at Riverside Oaks has a green that is 70 metres wide, biggest green in Australia, if the flag is cut short right, do you really expect a single figure marker to aim 35 metres left of the flag with a wedge just because it's a GIR?

That's not what it says in the OP... for a single figure handicap it says that from within 100 yards, it is fine to go after the flag. On top of that, there are always going to be a few exceptions, and I'd imagine that hitting to "the biggest green in Australia" maybe one of them. Maybe in that case you aim to hit the center of the correct tier of the green.

Extremely fast greens are another example where you must keep the ball under the hole at all costs, even if it means missing short.

Another point where I think people overestimate their abilities off the green... having a quick downhill putt is still better than having no putt at all. There is no guarantee that you keep the chip below the hole and avoid having that slick putt anyways, or get so caught up in how quick that putt is coming down that you leave it way short and still have a long 2 putt after already missing the green.

I'm sure the OP means well, but I would like to think he could explain how good players manage the way they attack or play a hole a little better than he has.

Guess we'll have to buy the book!

Like the OP says, this is a bit of a general statement and just part of what is going to be in the book. I'm sure there is more to come. That being said, if golfers were to follow this advice to the tee, I'd have no doubt that they'd see lower scores. They may give up a birdie or two, but they'd eliminate a whole bunch of bogies.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

But I do have a story from a young Tiger Woods about the first time he played with Nick Price; who was the best player in the world at the time.

Tiger said during the round he shot about every flag and Nick shot at about 4-5 flags.

Tiger learned something during that round and changed, most of you formula followers never will.

So you're being super pissy but 100% agreeing with the point of this thread.  Even Tiger, probably the best player ever to play the game, learned as a young player playing a round with a more experienced player who was another of the best players ever to play that even the best players in the world only shoot at 4-5 flags in a round.  The whole point of this thread is that none of us are among the best players ever, so we surely shouldn't be trying to stiff more pins than those who are.  So the point of the OP remains.  And Nick Price and Tiger both agree.  Your expected score sitting 2 on the green with a tough putt is better than the expected score sitting two off the green, even close, even if you're among the best players in the world.  So try to get on the green more often instead of trying to be as close as possible when you are on the green but missing the green more often.

And the OP is a rule of thumb.  If you read the whole thread you'll see that the OP and all of the supporters are aware there are tons of variables, and there are specific instances where you're holding a 7i and the play with the lowest expected score is not to shoot pin high at the center of the green left/right (which is the rule of thumb recommendation).

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Maybe that's what you would do, but stats say that's not the right play. You have a much better chance of two putting (even if the first one is a long putt) vs. getting up and down from off the green. The entire point of this thread is that being on is better than being off and the way you get on more frequently is to aim to hit the center.

That's not what it says in the OP... for a single figure handicap it says that from within 100 yards, it is fine to go after the flag. On top of that, there are always going to be a few exceptions, and I'd imagine that hitting to "the biggest green in Australia" maybe one of them. Maybe in that case you aim to hit the center of the correct tier of the green.

Another point where I think people overestimate their abilities off the green... having a quick downhill putt is still better than having no putt at all. There is no guarantee that you keep the chip below the hole and avoid having that slick putt anyways, or get so caught up in how quick that putt is coming down that you leave it way short and still have a long 2 putt after already missing the green.

Like the OP says, this is a bit of a general statement and just part of what is going to be in the book. I'm sure there is more to come. That being said, if golfers were to follow this advice to the tee, I'd have no doubt that they'd see lower scores. They may give up a birdie or two, but they'd eliminate a whole bunch of bogies.

So Tristan, you and I agree. The only difference is I've got a better short game, I hit my wedge further and I don't go at 270yd par 3s over crap with trouble short and left!!!!!!

I don't even understand why having a downhill putt is so bad, especially for the vast numbers of players who are more inclined to leave a flat putt short. Worst case scenario is usually that I'll end up about where I'd be after a decent (not great, just decent) chip. That and, on an uphill chip, I'll hit past the cup about as often as I hit short of it. In other words, at least for me, I think I'm probably in a better position to be middle of a green, facing a downhill putt, than I'd be off the green, in a decent lie, chipping up. I'm sure there are exceptions, and I'll be sure to reconsider this the next time I play Augusta or in the U.S. Open.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

In other words, at least for me, I think I'm probably in a better position to be middle of a green, facing a downhill putt, than I'd be off the green, in a decent lie, chipping up. I'm sure there are exceptions, and I'll be sure to reconsider this the next time I play Augusta or in the U.S. Open.

You are. That's precisely right.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In other words, at least for me, I think I'm probably in a better position to be middle of a green, facing a downhill putt, than I'd be off the green, in a decent lie, chipping up. I'm sure there are exceptions, and I'll be sure to reconsider this the next time I play Augusta or in the U.S. Open.

Yep, I'll take take putting vs chipping all day.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Can't even remember the last time I skulled a putt over the green and into a trap/pond...
  • Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Can't even remember the last time I skulled a putt over the green and into a trap/pond...

Same here.....but I have fatted a putt before.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Lol, me too!!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Oh I hate duff putting :doh:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 1311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!