IGNORED

Stop Aiming at the Flag!!! #DeadCenter

Note: This thread is 1306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll try 1) 50 2) 35

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting point and helpful for folks who fire at every pin at any distance. While I agree, most higher handicap golfers would obviously benefit from aiming at the center of the green... There are many more factors to consider before you always simply aim for the center of the green either. Proximity to the hole being just one of many. Sometimes it's better to choose smaller targets with visualization before your strike too, but I do get your point and the advice would undoubtedly be positive for a beginner.

FWIW, this was saved for me as a draft in this thread (guess I meant to post it back in April): Jack Nicklaus to Jordan Spieth before The Masters: "You can play every hole at Augusta from the center of the green."

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

sometimes you can't really even see the green that well, from where you're taking the shot. (uphill greens)

sometimes greens are shaped funny, so that they are narrow at the center... I guess you should aim at the fattest part of the green in that case?

sometimes the greens are shaped like peanuts, thin in the center, but two fat parts at the both ends, with flag at one end.

I would still try to go for the flag in that case, assuming rearside flag at the green.

Frontside flag, I would definitely either lay-up for chip shot, or just aim at center of green.

I certainly believe that. I think we would all agree Augusta National has arguably the slickest and most difficult greens in the world, especially for the Masters tournament. Imagine if the Masters was in the summer? It would feel like putting in your bath tub and who knows how fast they could get them to register on the stimp meter. Center of the green is good on most world championship golf courses I'd think. I like those little Nicklaus quotes, the guy is a legend and keeps it simple.

sometimes greens are shaped funny, so that they are narrow at the center... I guess you should aim at the fattest part of the green in that case?

The point being made is that you shouldn't always always aim at the flag on an approach shot, not that you need to always aim at the geometric center. In many cases, the center isn't a bad play. But in your example, with a narrow center and a fatter side, the side is the better play -- although we can certainly imagine situations where that wouldn't be true, either.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

How many players hit the green on the first day? And how many hit the green on both days?

What are the odds that GD missed it both days? :-) I'd guess more than half the folks missed it twice. I'm a 2-HCP (at the moment) and 12 greens is still a decent day. That means I have a 60ish percent chance of hitting it on any given try. Just on percentages that means I've got a 33% chance of hitting it both days. And I'm a decent golfer.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I'll try 1) 50 2) 35

[quote name="k-troop" url="/t/72445/stop-aiming-at-the-flag/330#post_1005701"] What are the odds that GD missed it both days? :-) I'd guess more than half the folks missed it twice. I'm a 2-HCP (at the moment) and 12 greens is still a decent day. That means I have a 60ish percent chance of hitting it on any given try. Just on percentages that means I've got a 33% chance of hitting it both days. And I'm a decent golfer.[/quote]21 guys out of 150 hit it the first day, and only 6 ... SIX ... Hit it both days!! (I do not know how many hit it only the second day because that wasn't relevant to the contest so it wasn't recorded) And since Kevin brought it up, I was one of the 6, thank you very much. ;). In fact those were two of my best irons of the week (8 first day, 9 iron the second day) and I was only 4'-10" away from a new set of taylormade irons. Winner was 2-8 first day and 12-2 the second, and I was 7-2 and 12-6.

• Administrator

From the July 2014 Golf Digest, page 27.

A 15 handicapper hits 52% of their greens from 125 yds, 44% from 150 yds, and 34% from 175 yds.

They cite the source as shotbyshot.com.

Those numbers are a smidge (and I mean just a smidge) over what we found and published in LSW .

Playing to the flag from 130 the numbers were about 40%, and toward the smart target 50%. 10-18 handicappers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For less than the price of a dozen golf balls, you are telling me this book contains info that will lower my scores?

I've spent hundreds of dollars on irons

I've spent hundreds of dollars on a driver

I've spent hundreds of dollars on a putter

I've spent hundreds of dollars on an Aimpoint class

I've spent hundreds of dollars on Trackman lessons

etc, etc...

Seems like quite a deal to me. I ordered the book.

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

For less than the price of a dozen golf balls, you are telling me this book contains info that will lower my scores?

Yes and it's an enjoyable read :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

For less than the price of a dozen golf balls, you are telling me this book contains info that will lower my scores? I've spent hundreds of dollars on irons I've spent hundreds of dollars on a driver I've spent hundreds of dollars on a putter I've spent hundreds of dollars on an Aimpoint class I've spent hundreds of dollars on Trackman lessons etc, etc... Seems like quite a deal to me. I ordered the book.

Don't take those Trackman lessons... start there

Hmmm, well...I learned more in 15 minutes about ball flight laws in my first trackman lesson than in the last 10 years trying to figure things out on my own. They were worth it - to me.

Anyway, I can't wait for the book to arrive. I like numbers and analytics. Should be good - (again, for me).

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

Unfortunately for me I've always used the mantra that you use in shooting sports, aim small miss small, even though I don't miss small in golf.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wangus94

Hmmm, well...I learned more in 15 minutes about ball flight laws in my first trackman lesson than in the last 10 years trying to figure things out on my own. They were worth it - to me.

Anyway, I can't wait for the book to arrive. I like numbers and analytics. Should be good - (again, for me).

Don't take it to seriously, @Wangus94 has something against Trackman.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Unfortunately for me I've always used the mantra that you use in shooting sports, aim small miss small, even though I don't miss small in golf.

I don't quite follow what you're getting at. Are you suggesting you need to aim at the flag to miss near it?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I don't quite follow what you're getting at. Are you suggesting you need to aim at the flag to miss near it?

That would be the general principle of the saying, but it doesn't necessarily hold true for golf. That is why I need to change my mindset to what is being said here, aim for the large part of the green instead of the small part where the flag is.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 1306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!