IGNORED

Stop Aiming at the Flag!!! #DeadCenter

Note: This thread is 1306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That would be the general principle of the saying, but it doesn't necessarily hold true for golf. That is why I need to change my mindset to what is being said here, aim for the large part of the green instead of the small part where the flag is.

I see, thanks for clarifying. I thought for a second that you were saying you need to aim for the flag, to which I would have responded, "just aim at a single point in the center of the green. That's even smaller than the hole." ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That would be the general principle of the saying, but it doesn't necessarily hold true for golf. That is why I need to change my mindset to what is being said here, aim for the large part of the green instead of the small part where the flag is.

That saying absolutely holds true for golf, and does not go against the principles of this thread either.  You just have to get the idea out of your head that the target at the green has to be the flag.

You should still pick a tiny target, just not the flag.

The shot I am most proud of from my round the other day was a 5 iron that landed on the left edge of the green pin high.  It went EXACTLY the direction and distance I intended it to go.  I could be silly and play the "shoot, I should have aimed at the flag" game and told myself if I'd have done that (which would have been stupid), I'd have had a 5' eagle putt, but that is never going to be the smart play on that hole from that spot.

That saying absolutely holds true for golf, and does not go against the principles of this thread either.  You just have to get the idea out of your head that the target at the green has to be the flag.

You should still pick a tiny target, just not the flag.

The shot I am most proud of from my round the other day was a 5 iron that landed on the left edge of the green pin high.  It went EXACTLY the direction and distance I intended it to go.  I could be silly and play the "shoot, I should have aimed at the flag" game and told myself if I'd have done that (which would have been stupid), I'd have had a 5' eagle putt, but that is never going to be the smart play on that hole from that spot.

I understand what you are saying, it's just in my mind the flag = bullseye. Also sometimes you can't pick a spot on the green to shoot for depending the view from where you are. It's just a matter of retraining my brain that the flag doesn't have to equal the bullseye.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I understand what you are saying, it's just in my mind the flag = bullseye. Also sometimes you can't pick a spot on the green to shoot for depending the view from where you are. It's just a matter of retraining my brain that the flag doesn't have to equal the bullseye.

Stand behind the ball and think, where do I have to aim so my ball ends up at the center of the green. That is knowing your ball flight. So if you know your 8 iron has a 3 yard draw, then imagine the flight from the ball to the center of the green and then line up to hit it on that trajectory.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

What I try to do is pick a tree or building ect... to hit at behind the green if im not hitting at the flag. That way I have a more defined target. I sometimes do that even when I'm hitting at the flag. It seems to make me focus more on my swing instead of the end result.

What I try to do is pick a tree or building ect... to hit at behind the green if im not hitting at the flag. That way I have a more defined target. I sometimes do that even when I'm hitting at the flag. It seems to make me focus more on my swing instead of the end result.

I do that off the tee. I aim for something on the horizon. A tree, or building or cloud. Seems to keep my driver more online. I don't see why it wouldn't work for iron shots too, eh?

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

I do that off the tee. I aim for something on the horizon. A tree, or building or cloud. Seems to keep my driver more online. I don't see why it wouldn't work for iron shots too, eh?

I like doing that so I don't focus so much on the result.When I start looking at a spot on the green I tend to get to concerned with that spot instead of just making a good swing.

That saying absolutely holds true for golf, and does not go against the principles of this thread either.  You just have to get the idea out of your head that the target at the green has to be the flag. You should still pick a tiny target, [U] just not the flag. [/U]

Correct, you're basically just putting a "flag" in the center of the green. I do the same thing when I hit driver, I pick something in the background as the small target rather than looking at the entire fairway.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yeah, I understand this.  It's very easy to tell yourself to concentrate on that one tree branch in the distance as your target ... but as easy, if not easier, to let your eyes wander back to the flag for one last quick peek at that sexy thing right before looking back down at your ball. :beer:

One thing I've experiemented with a few times, and it has helped with focus, is to get an intermediate target that I can focus on after I set up to the ball, and then after I get set up, I don't look up at the big target anymore at all .  This would prevent me from focusing on the wrong thing, and, I believe, help curb some of those dreaded intrusive thoughts.  "Oooh, that's a big pond over there ... better not slice it."

Not sure if something like that would work for you, but it may be worth a try.

Yeah, I understand this.  It's very easy to tell yourself to concentrate on that one tree branch in the distance as your target ... but as easy, if not easier, to let your eyes wander back to the flag for one last quick peek at that sexy thing right before looking back down at your ball.

One thing I've experiemented with a few times, and it has helped with focus, is to get an intermediate target that I can focus on after I set up to the ball, and then after I get set up, I don't look up at the big target anymore at all.  This would prevent me from focusing on the wrong thing, and, I believe, help curb some of those dreaded intrusive thoughts.  "Oooh, that's a big pond over there ... better not slice it."

Not sure if something like that would work for you, but it may be worth a try.

That is were I think visualization can help. Just keep holding that image of the ball flight. Try to remember the feel of that shot you had before. That way, even if you look at the flag your mind is on the shot you want to hit.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

That is were I think visualization can help. Just keep holding that image of the ball flight. Try to remember the feel of that shot you had before. That way, even if you look at the flag your mind is on the shot you want to hit.

ROFL, if I could execute a ball flight that I visualize I'd probably be able to get close to the flag :-P

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

ROFL, if I could execute a ball flight that I visualize I'd probably be able to get close to the flag :-P

Why should that stop you anyways? Just because you are inconsistent, doesn't mean you can't practice good preshot routines.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Here's an idea I just thought of five seconds ago.... What if I start playing a "mini-game" within an actual round of golf? Like, get as many GIR as possible? That would theoretically get my mind off of the score and flag hunting, right? I would think the best way to "win" this game would be to aim for the biggest part of the green (the middle).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Here's an idea I just thought of five seconds ago.... What if I start playing a "mini-game" within an actual round of golf? Like, get as many GIR as possible? That would theoretically get my mind off of the score and flag hunting, right? I would think the best way to "win" this game would be to aim for the biggest part of the green (the middle).

That's what I did yesterday: how many GIR can I hit? I hit 4, and had three collars in addition. That's not a personal best, but it's certainly good for how I've been lately.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

That's what I did yesterday: how many GIR can I hit? I hit 4, and had three collars in addition. That's not a personal best, but it's certainly good for how I've been lately.

Yea, I'm not naive enough to think that just changing my mindset will automatically make me a better player (or am I? ;-)), but I can think of at least one or two holes a round where I went for the flag and it ended up costing me at least a stroke. And we all know every stroke counts.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 2 months later...

I been finding early this season to try to aim for flags from inside 150 yards out and sometimes I would be very close and sometimes way off. Since then I started to zone in to the pin from 90 yards and in and 100 yards and further out I just try for a landing spot on the green and I been much more consistent.

• 10 months later...

http://www.golf.com/instruction/jason-day-secret-saving-strokes

"If you are just aiming for the middle of the green you are going to hit more greens. Statistically you will"

Jason Day know's what he is talking about :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 1306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!