IGNORED

Stop Aiming at the Flag!!! #DeadCenter

Note: This thread is 1283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I think at the Newport Cup one year, Erik or Mike said something like when the pin is forward, and if you're using it for distance to hit (not necessarily a target, just for distance), add some yards to it because you'd rather be on the green than not.  I think a similar rule if it's at the back.  If I had done that, maybe one stroke better that round.  Knowledge for the future! 

I try to drill that into Natalie a little.

Sometimes with the pin up front, if the greens are fast, I actually will tell her just short in the fairway is not a bad place to be. Uphill putt and all that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I could could instantly save a few strokes each round if I kept this in mind. I hit my irons well, but I'm not scoring. This tip alone is perfectly timed. A golfer of my handicap takes too many unnecessary swings without this simple thought. Even if at times it's a big green with room, just get it on the green instead of aiming right at a flag stuck in a corner. Good stuff. A round reminder list add.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, eddiex72 said:

I could could instantly save a few strokes each round if I kept this in mind. I hit my irons well, but I'm not scoring. This tip alone is perfectly timed. A golfer of my handicap takes too many unnecessary swings without this simple thought. Even if at times it's a big green with room, just get it on the green instead of aiming right at a flag stuck in a corner. Good stuff. A round reminder list add.

There are a lot of great tips and strategies and truth and facts and statistics that will help you play better golf in Lowest Score Wins.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I always tell people that my game is all about managing my misses and not necessarily about hitting good shots. Aiming for the center of the green gives me the best chance to score well while missing and I mis-hit more shots than I hit flush so it's a high percentage play.

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

I think at the Newport Cup one year, Erik or Mike said something like when the pin is forward, and if you're using it for distance to hit (not necessarily a target, just for distance), add some yards to it because you'd rather be on the green than not.

Yup and once in a while you'll miss and be right on the pin. Good times.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Yup and once in a while you'll miss and be right on the pin. Good times.

Can confirm!  During the tournament I won a few weeks ago, I was aiming past a forward pin on a par-3, hit it thin, ended up a foot from the pin for an easy birdie, a skin, and a closest to the pin award.  I even made the putt. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got this email today 👍

5175076d-a3dc-495c-bc40-7fdc2781fe67.jpg
82% is the number to know.

From single-length clubs to protractors, Bryson is known to do things in an uncommon way.  But while winning the first two tournaments of the FEDEX Cup, he did something very common.

Bryson hit a combined 82% of his approach shots to the fat side of the pin during both wins.  That's something the winning player does quite often.

Northern Trust for the week:
Front 9 = 78%, Back 9 = 81%

Dell Technologies for the week:
Front 9 = 81%, Back 9 = 86%

That surprises most amateurs we share that with.  Most think the hottest player in the field would be firing at more pins.  The opposite is actually true. 

When you're on your game, placing the ball on the fat side of the hole (on average 8 out of 10 times) will keep your momentum going, keep you from difficult up and downs, and give you more birdie opportunities.

When you're not on your game, this strategy will help you avoid those 1 or 2 round wrecking disaster holes.

Give this Tour proven strategy a try next time you tee it up.
Hit it great this week!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

12 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Got this email today 👍

The proof is right there. These are the kinds of things I love to see and read. It’s a constant reminder to help rid some of the pressure of missing a pin. Get it on the Green! Thanks for dropping this one. 

It´s pretty easy... let´s talk in 2 dimensions so it´s easy to understand.
You have a Par 3 150 yards away. Green width it´s 20 yards with deep bunkers on both sides. The pin is 4 yards from the left edge of the green.
Let´s suppose your lateral dispersion it´s 14 yards (7 yards left and 7 yards rigth of your target)

If you aim for the pin and hit 15 shots, the balls that you miss left 5,6 and 7 yards will be on the bunker without chances of up and down. That´s 3 bogeys. The other balls will be on the green from ranges to 0 to 21 feet for birdie, average of 11 feet, average from that distance is -0,34 * 12 balls = -4. -4 from the balls on the green and +3 from the ones in the bunker, thats an overal -1 for 15 balls.  Thats an average of 2,93 in the hole aiming for the ping. 1 ball goes at the pin, 7 to the left (short side) and 7 to the rigth (fat side). That´s 50% balls to the fat side.

If you aim 3 yards rigth of the ping and hit 15 shots all the balls will be on the green and from 0 to 30 feet for birdie.
Average from 15 feet it´s -0,22 * 15 balls = -3,3. Averange score of 2,78 in the hole aiming 3 yards rigth of the ping.
1 ball will go at the ping, 4 will go left of it and 10 will go rigth of it. That´s 71% balls to the fat side.

If the flag would be 3 yards from the edge that percentage will be 78%.

If you increase distance to 200 yards your dispersion will be 19 yards so you need to aim 9 yards away from the left edge or 6 yards rigth of the flag. Shots to the fat part will be in the 80+%.

That´s the way math help you aim correctly, and i know brison do it that way because i know who teach that to him (i will not post his name or program because it could be taken as publicity for him).     

• Administrator
8 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

If you aim 3 yards rigth of the ping and hit 15 shots all the balls will be on the green and from 0 to 30 feet for birdie.

The problem with Fawcett's system is that it assumes the same pattern and Shot Zone sizes, and hard codes everything to a set of numbers.

I still think the "Shades of Grey" method we use makes more sense.

But whatever… just a quick response to you, not an invitation to compare the systems or whatever.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

The problem with Fawcett's system is that it assumes the same pattern and Shot Zone sizes, and hard codes everything to a set of numbers.

I still think the "Shades of Grey" method we use makes more sense.

But whatever… just a quick response to you, not an invitation to compare the systems or whatever.

What’s the shades of grey system?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, eddiex72 said:

What’s the shades of grey system?

http://lowestscorewins.com/buy/

This. was the first main focus I too from LSW.  Even in my wildest fantasy, my technique does not allow that I will do well aiming for the pin.  As a result, employing this one focus, I went from shooting well into the 100s, to breaking 100 and then breaking 90 bu changing how I thought about greens.  I suspect on 18 holes, I  saved perhaps 5-6 strokes by this when I  broke 90.  Once ON the green I control results a bit better with the putter.  Yes, my skill says I will fight 3 putt holes. But hey, I have also eliminated some 3 hole putts as well.

Using the odds in your favor allows you to get a lower score! iacas has done the research and applied it to a way of thinking. BTW, the pro from the 1970's I payed golf with said don't allow the course to make your targets too small.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Oh my.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oh my.

Aren't they both wrong?

Shouldn't pretty much all players be aiming towards the center of the green?

And isn't it more likely to be proximity that determines the number of birdies, not putting?

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

51 minutes ago, klineka said:

Aren't they both wrong?

And isn't it more likely to be proximity that determines the number of birdies, not putting?

The problem is Mike, and probably the other guy, are types where despite you showing them facts/stats they’ll say, ‘That’s not what I’ve seen...’

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
5 hours ago, klineka said:

Aren't they both wrong?

Proximity, yeah, but putting could be a factor too if he's just not giving anything a chance to go in.

I'm a really good putter, and people playing with me will often remark how almost every putt looks like it had a chance. (I'll know pretty quickly whether one is just short, or pulled ever so slightly, etc.).

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

The problem is Mike, and probably the other guy, are types where despite you showing them facts/stats they’ll say, ‘That’s not what I’ve seen...’

No, Scott knows a bit.

But I responded a few times to Breed, too:

I can understand that Tour players may feel some pressure to shoot at pins, but I'm not a Tour player! I'd much rather be putting for birdie from anywhere on the green than chipping or pitching for one. 

Note: This thread is 1283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!