IGNORED

British Open vs. The Open Championship?

Foursum Golf
Note: This thread is 3138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call it?

• The British Open
    • The Open Championship
    • Either/I Don't Care

Depends upon where I am and who is in the company I am with.  All Americans, I call it the British Open.  Otherwise, generally refer to it as the Open Championship...don't need someone correcting me.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Poll added.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted "Either" but I do care.  As I explained above, it depends upon whose company I am in.  I learn to adapt.  And, I go to the UK often enough I don't need some bloke correcting me.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

If I'm talking to a Brit, then I'd probably call it the Open.  However, I can't really remember the last time I was talking to a Brit about golf, if ever.

To the guy who said it's always been called "The Open Championship" - it hasn't always been called that over here.  It's only recently that some weird form of political correctness has made that popular.  For most of my life it was the British Open (sometimes even just called "The British") on TV and in the press and anytime it came up on the course.  So as far as I'm concerned, since I'm not British, and I'm almost never talking to someone from the UK, I'll call it the British Open.

And ours will still be the US Open.  I don't think that any of the "opens" are special enough to be left without a descriptive modifier. :smartass:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I didn't grow up with golf. Nobody in my family or extended family played it. I picked it up when I was 39. I did watch it now and then, and the only references I remember growing up was as the British Open, as opposed o the US Open, so that is how I think of it. It all had to come from any advertising or references for casual American fans. It just came from not knowing any better. However, thinking about it, it seems that my golfing group refers to it as the British Open when talking about i.

In my mind, there's The Open and The British, and they are not played on the same continent.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Actually, thats kind of silly to me too.  I would be all for a name change if somebody could think of a good one. :) I like that soccer (sorry) is becoming so much more popular here these days, and that its not at all uncommon to hear somebody without an accent say football, and not be talking about American football. By the way ... I'm so excited for the World Cup!!!  (shhh, don't tell wisguy ;))

Gaz Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Actually, thats kind of silly to me too.  I would be all for a name change if somebody could think of a good one. :)

I like that soccer (sorry) is becoming so much more popular here these days, and that its not at all uncommon to hear somebody without an accent say football, and not be talking about American football.

By the way ... I'm so excited for the World Cup!!!  (shhh, don't tell wisguy ;))

In China they called it "Olive Ball" when the NFL did some demonstration games there less than a decade ago. . .

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-01-13/news/0701130064_1_nfl-international-shanghai-based-zou-marketing-talent-search

Didn't work out very well, apparently the kickers were not all that talented, which is also probably why China still does not have a world class football (soccer) team.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yep.  In the UK it's "The Open".  In the US, it's the British Open, since we have our own Open, and it's necessary to differentiate them.  If I don't have any problem calling ours the US Open, then he should be bothered by me calling his the British Open.  It also differentiates it from the French Open, the Scottish Open, the Irish Open, etc.  It was only "The Open Championship" when it was still the only one.  To continue to call it in the modern age that is the utmost in "homerism".

When it started, it didn't need to differentiate. It was the first and only Open Championship. The USGA, deliberately called theirs the USGA Open Championship, recognising that the R&A; already had the title. To this day the USGA only use the title 'The Open Championship' for the original. Apart from common courtesy, if it's good enough for them .......

I love the way in which the historical uniqueness of The Open is reflected in the traditional announcement of the  winner as   "The champion golfer of the year".

I love the way in which the historical uniqueness of The Open is reflected in the traditional announcement of the  winner as   "The champion golfer of the year".

Yes, it carries on the tradition of The Open Championship, as it should be!

I have always called it the British Open, with the "Open" being the US Open.  I can also understand how the Brits feel just the opposite.

When I was growing up all I ever heard was 'the British Open'. So that is how I refer to it today. But if I were in Scotland going to see the championship, you can bet I would refer to it as 'The Open'. As they say......when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I call it the British Open, but it didn't really matter to me.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I usually call it the British Open, just less confusing that way.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

People who call it "The Open" are the same types of douchenozzles that say "The Ohio State University"... :-)

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 3138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!